Home General Discussion

Hotel Chevalier / The Darjeeling Limited

polycounter lvl 18
Offline / Send Message
gauss polycounter lvl 18
I know there are at least a few Wes Anderson fans in here, so I figured you'd get a reminder to check out Hotel Chevalier, a short film counterpart to the upcoming Darjeeling Limited released on iTunes.

the only bother is that you'll need to have an iTunes account, because even though the download is free, it's transacted like you would a proper iTunes purchase.
but it's worth it for a nicely sized copy--DO NOT watch it on youtube. the color is washed out and the sides of the wide angle frame are chopped (crime against Anderson, i know).
the film itself is a perfect little Anderson short. it's a little bizarre to see Natalie Portman step inside the skin of an Anderson femme; she's still the well-known actress but as with other actors who have been in Anderson movies, now she's a character in Anderson's world, too. fully drawn.

a film for anyone who has had a hard breakup, or carried the torch for someone too long. the way her very husky sounding voice comes on the line in the beginning, you suddenly feel like Schwartzman's character must feel... he's quiet and resigned on the outside, because everything is spinning inside.

so please, be sure to download it--i think there was a copy on google video, but they pulled that shit pretty fast, as i suspect they'll do (hopefully) for the inferior youtube rips. interested to see what other people think, and eventually for a little discussion of The Darjeeling Limited, when that comes out. I read a review that said it was merely another Anderson movie and not his best yet, but a lot of people felt deflated about the Life Aquatic, only to find out that the film kept giving back on subsequent viewings. i suspect much the same will be true of Anderson's latest.

Replies