Home 3D Art Showcase & Critiques

vehicle_fueltruck WIP.

smedjeback
polycounter lvl 13
Offline / Send Message
smedjeback polycounter lvl 13
This is my first progress screen. ~6000 tris.
This i work for my future gameart portfolio.
Do you think 6000 tris is to heavy for at next-gen game prop? (xbox 360, ps3) Is 2048*2048 textures a bit to much?

truck1.jpg

Replies

• ElysiumGX
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    ElysiumGX polycounter lvl 18
    the wheels don't appear perfectly rounded. what's with the random dotted lines?
  • smedjeback
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Hello. The dotted lines represent that it is a soft edge in Maya. You are right, the whells is not perfectly round, thats because the truck is heavy and du whells are a bit squeezed.
  • EmAr
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    EmAr polycounter lvl 18
    The wheels may cause some trouble if you are planning to texture(much easier to paint perfectly circular stuff) or animate it.
  • Flewda
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Flewda polycounter lvl 17
    Looking pretty good. I don't think 6k is too much for SOME props, I think you could get away with it on something like this, but there are areas you could save polys on.

The small indentation just underneath the door handle could easily be a normal map. You have some chamfers it looks like on some small little details (like the gas can, and some other little things here and there). Although it can be necessary to add that kind of detail for it to look right (even with a normal map), usually the smaller stuff of "a big picture" aren't as important to do that.

I know you have an interior modeled, but I honestly don't really see the 6,000 polys. I guess with the wheels and the interior it really adds up, but it feels like the details could be better spent in some places.

Also, with many game engines now days, a mesh doesn't need to be water tight. For example, it appears you have the front bumper welded with the rest of the body (it could be just snapped I guess though). Anyway, this kind of stuff isn't necessary, and actually can give you troubles with your smoothing groups, make it a little more annoying to edit the mesh in that area, and also that piece can't detach if say it was somewhat destructible.

Also, I think you meant 2048X2048 texture (not 2046)

OK I'll stop rambling. Just my two cents smile.gif
  • tremulant
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    tremulant polycounter lvl 17
    Make spherical wheels, because if they were to rotate, then the flat spots would roll around also and in turn, look very very bad. maps and polycount sound fine, if you want a nice looking piece...probly could get away with a 1024 though.

Nice mesh other than what Flewda mentioned
    dave
  • smedjeback
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    yes, but I'm not going to animate the truck, it's a static prop and I think I manage to texture the wheels. Thank you for youre input!
  • smedjeback
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Thank you for your input! Yes, maybe I can save some polys. But I think I'm going to hold on to theis version for now. I'm to eager to start texturing. And of course I ment 2048 texture. I don't have so much spare time to work on the model but look for updates, It will be fineshed!
  • smedjeback
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Hello, it's a static prop so the wheels will stay in a fixed posision. I'm going to try with a 1024 texture as well as 2048. Thanks!
  • ElysiumGX
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    ElysiumGX polycounter lvl 18
    you can answer everyone in one post.

if the dotted lines are soft edges, why do have so many hard edges only the sides of the tires? it looks perfectly flat. and the squeezy tires are a waste. even tho you can still texture them, it's easier not to, and have each tire in a different position.
  • W1r3d
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    W1r3d polycounter lvl 17
    Eaven though i am sitting next to you i'm going to take this oppertunity to comment on your model. So you can put my views in perspective.

I agre with Flewda about saving some of those polys in exchange for normalmapping. like for instance behind that doorhandle. And i absolutely think that you should check you r model for "hidden polygons" that could be removed. Polygons that won't ever be visible should definately go. If you are not going to let the front door open you could merge the two windows on the side into one quad thus saving some polygons. you might have done this already i can't quite see. smile.gif
    If you still have polygons on the back of those seats in the cockpit then i'd suggest removing them. maybe make the seats part of the rear wall in the cockpit? This of course depends a lot on how close to your concept you wan't to be.

Be wary off uneaven polyons. you have one just when you are coming around from the frontlights to the side. I would actually suggest you made a split straight up instead of leading in diagonally.

After some concideration i've reached the conclusion that you probably should model and texture the wheels round and THEN if you want to you can make them buldge under the weight of the truck.

i would also like to se a shaded version without the wire.

Keep it up man. i know it's gonna look good in the end.

P.S and yes i'm going to post the room smile.gif dammit!
  • Mark Dygert
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Looking good!

Crits:
    - There seems to be quite a bit of joined geometry, like the bumper for example. I'm sure you could detach the bumper and optimize the area it fits into. There are other areas like that also.
    - I would shave as many polys as you can and add some big tread knobs on the sides of the tires. or check out some of the extra detail on some ref like the big square pump on the back, or the misc support line/hose running along the top. Small details like that go a long way in helping it. Always consult ref and you'll never run out of ideas for small details.
    - The tubes on the side look kind of small?
  • Ghostscape
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Ghostscape polycounter lvl 13
    Either round off the tires completely or flatten them completely. A properly inflated tire is never going to look like that, and neither is an entirely flat tire.

Not making them round seems like you're modeling something you know exists but not something you've actually seen - those slight imperfections are barely noticeable and you've made them way too prominent - they are so minute you don't really notice them unless you're very close and horizontal with the tire (which you never will be in the game).
  • smedjeback
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Thank you for all your coments, I will remodel som things this weekend. No big changes but some minor tweks. I'll be back soon.