Home 3D Art Showcase & Critiques

Lizard-creature

polycounter lvl 18
Offline / Send Message
EmAr polycounter lvl 18
Hi! I've been practising with Silo's displacement painting lately and here's a creature I modeled. I'm currently trying to generate a normal map, I'll post screenshots if I can generate a proper one. The low poly mesh has 4019 tri's.

The high poly:
lizhigmv2.jpg
The low poly:
lizlowzb5.jpg
Wireframe:
lizwiryd6.jpg
UV layout(resized from 1024x1024):
lizarduvwdp5.gif
Critique and comments are more than welcome! Thanks for looking grin.gif

Replies

• cgjeff
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    cgjeff polycounter lvl 17
    not bad so far, though right now this is sort of reading as some kind of strange kangaroo/Egyptian jackal hybrid to me, not really at all like a lizard.. that could just be me though.
  • konstruct
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    konstruct polycounter lvl 18
    Its well executed and clean, Really nice hands.
    I dont think the ear things work for you, nor do the feet.

They all would probably work fine on thier own, but, together they dont vibe to well.

The upper torso has some pretty nice realisic proportions, while the legs get a bit cartoony due to thier exadurated size. I almost feel you could reduce thier size by 50% and it would be gravy.

The ear bits seem odd because they dont really have any similar counter parts elsewhere on the model. It looks a bit like an afterthought to spice up the siliouette. Reducing thier lenght (of the skinny part) might help it vibe a bit better, but ONLY if you figure out some other ways to incoorporate that motif elsewhere.

Is this piece meant to have a mechanical design elements, or armor of some sort down the line. You also might want to think about purpose. Alot of times things dont look good because they dont carry any fictional purpose. Figure out what the ear fins actually do, and it might help you work them in a bit better.

Keep goin man, It has much promise!
  • ElysiumGX
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    ElysiumGX polycounter lvl 18
    Design: is a little odd. As mentioned the ears look out of place. perhaps the mid section is a bit too human in contrast to the head and legs.

Shape: the anatomical shape of the head is very poor in comparison to the body. The weak lower jaw and shapeless upper head prove you used no reference in its design.

Low Poly: it looks like he has one set of pecs on his back, and 2 sets on his front. distingish the shape of ribs (bones) from pectoralis (muscle). you may have too many edges in the feet. the shoulders could use the same amouth of definition as the upper torso. otherwise, most of the construction is good.

High Poly: i think the details of the high poly ruins the low poly. all the details around the lower torso are incorrect. and the back is no where near correct. again, use reference. even for the simplest designs, anatomy reference is crucial. examples, those horizontal bands you have beside the abs, should be over the ribs. and the abs run up to the pecs. that ridge you have under the ribs does not exist. here, this may help. http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/e/e8/Gray392.png
    You're not required to be 100% exact with anatomy, you can exaggerate, but neither should you guess and make things up. muscles shape the body, but they are designed to move the body, so they're placement is important for character design and animation.

UVs: you don't need to texture each individual tooth. you'll get more texture detail for each if you combine the UVs. in fact, a time save is to model one tooth, map it, and then duplicate it along the mouth, making small adjustments to each.
  • Spark
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Spark polycounter lvl 18
    Yeah biggest crit is that your uv layout is wasting alot of space that can be thought out better. The teeth have been explained, but think about mirroring the legs, and possibly the body and arms. That way you can give a higher pixtel ratio to those parts and push your texture further. If you want asymetry, then keep the head as laid out, but make sure to give reason for that asymetry ( don't just give him a mole on one side:P ). One word of advice, uv's are just as important as your modeling and textures. Without all three working correctly, then your piece will never look as good as it could. Hope this helps:).

Spark
  • EmAr
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    EmAr polycounter lvl 18
    Thanks a lot for the crits everyone, especially ElysiumGX. I worked on the feet and the head, I'll go onto the torso next: lizard5dc9.jpg
  • Josh Winn
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    The feet are looking a lot better now, more natural and balanced.
  • EmAr
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    EmAr polycounter lvl 18
    Thanks Josh! Here's a torso update, I guess it's not much good but I hope I'm going in the right direction with the muscles:
    backlizardyb3.jpg
    I also updated the lowpoly which I will re-UV:
    2lowkk3.jpg

Thanks for looking!
  • Xena
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I wish the hands are bigger...