Home Technical Talk

Help with Silo

Sage
polycounter lvl 19
Offline / Send Message
Sage polycounter lvl 19
Well, I would like to get into using silo but everytime I tried I end up getting annoyed. I just find certain things weird with it. Why, I like Max and it Silo can sort of model like Max, but...

Well Slide, is there a way to get slide to stop like having edge constraint on in Max? The cool thing about the edge constraint when it works is that if you drag an edge loop to another one and let go the mouse button and slide back a bit it takes the shape of the loop you dragged it into which is helpful when doing sub d work on mechanical things and you need nice sharp edges. I just find find it it quick and easy.

Target weld, what tool in silo does it?

Is there a way to select a range in Silo like you can in XSI?

How do you turn on and off ignore backfaces?

Thanks

Alex

Replies

• IronHawk
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    IronHawk polycounter lvl 10
    When using slide default hotkey "J" the edge should deform to the shape your looking for as it slides.

Merge verts for target weld ctrl + M. The first vert you select will merge to the next. Bring up the option menu for a tolerance. If you select a group of verts they will merge based on the tolerance. Not as good as Max'x where you can adjust the slider and find the range tnough.

There really isnt a need for ignore backface that I've found. It really depends on weather you select with a left click or middle click. left selects just fronts and middle selects through.
  • Rick Stirling
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Rick Stirling polycounter lvl 18
    Backfaces is in one of the menus.

Target Weld? Use merge - select one, select 2nd. Merge. Use a keyboard shortcut.
  • Sage
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Sage polycounter lvl 19
    Thanks for the replies Ironhawk and Rick. So is there a way to get the slide tool to stop sliding edges when it reaches another set of edges like you can in Max when it has edge constraint on? It saves me a bit of time and it's quick and dirty, no precision required. I played with Silo some more and I'm starting to enjoy it.

Alex
  • IronHawk
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    IronHawk polycounter lvl 10

silo doesn't have that functionality. A default slide amount can be set but not a default for distance from edge.
  • Sage
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Sage polycounter lvl 19
    I think Max is the only one that does this, XSI slide feature is pretty much like Silo's, it would be nice if slide was something you could turn on and off when you had your move, rotate and scale tools, since it saves a shit load of time when you want to create an angle for example.

Alex
  • Sage
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Sage polycounter lvl 19
    Is there a way to get Silo to scale from the center of the a selection? It seems to be scaling from the location where my object has the pivot point or it's center, instead of the selection I have of faces. Is there a way to get Silo to scale faces like Max does, I hope the helps expalin what I'm trying to do.

Thanks

Alex
  • Rick Stirling
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Rick Stirling polycounter lvl 18
    Have you tried asking these questions on the Silo forum?
  • Asthane
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Asthane polycounter lvl 18
    Silo should scale to your selection's center. If it's not doing so, make sure you don't have extraneous components in your selection. If you want it to treat each selection island as a separate selection, use the 'local scale' tool. If you want to manually move and align the center, there are tools for this in the selection menu.
  • Sage
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Sage polycounter lvl 19
    Cool Asthane, the local scale kind of does what I want and over looked it. Is there a way to get the local scale to work so it's not uniform?

Rick I don't really like going to other forums because of time. Also I have found that when I asked how to get certain software to work like another I usually get hostile responses. Since people here use Silo, Max, Maya and XSI I thought I would get more help and a less hostile response especially since other members on these boards ask these type of questions all the time. I spent a few hours over five reading the post the other day on Nevercenter.com to see if anyone had similar questions about the software.

Thanks again for the help.

Alex
  • Asthane
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Asthane polycounter lvl 18
    [ QUOTE ]
    Cool Asthane, the local scale kind of does what I want and over looked it. Is there a way to get the local scale to work so it's not uniform?

[/ QUOTE ]

I had thought you could use the constraint actions with it, but that doesn't seem to be the case, so far as I know, no, not possible yet: go post a suggestion for a proper local scale manipulator on the silo forums wink.gif They're nice people, honest.
  • Sage
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Sage polycounter lvl 19
    Thanks again for the replies, sorry if I sounded too much like a lazy little bitch with basic questions and all. wink.gif I have been playing with Silo and started to get some modeling done. I also set up shortcuts and buttons for mouse, and for the first time I'm considering of just reverting to the default settings. I'll play around with it some more and see how it goes. I did some more digging and it seems Silo doesn't let you display normal maps. frown.gif I hope I just misread this.

Asthane I feel it's too early for me to make feature requests for Silo since I just started using it and most of my issues I feel are user error on my part. I'll probably be buying this program after the demo is over, since I'm starting to like it. There few things I would like added, a function that the user can toggle so when the user uses slide it's stops moving a component when it reaches another. Range selection since it appears not to have it.

Heh decided to go ahead and buy it. wink.gif

Alex