Home Technical Talk

Why is photoshop sepia-toning the photoshop window

Ghostscape
polycounter lvl 13
Offline / Send Message
Ghostscape polycounter lvl 13
I've seen this happen before I can't recall how to fix it. Its not a color proof issue I think, as none of that is turned on. It even does it in the color picker. When I go to save out the image it's normal, and it appears normal in the save for web preview. Pasting the screenshot into photoshop made it twice as sepia-y.

How do I fix this aside from reinstalling? I'd rather avoid doing that if I can because I left my CDs at my old home frown.gif

whyphotoshopba8.jpg

Replies

• Rob Galanakis
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Image->Mode->RGB
  • Ghostscape
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
  • rooster
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    rooster mod
    weird.. I seem to remember reading of a similar case a while ago too. I'm guessing you already made sure your colour settings are default in edit>color settings?

I dont know if photoshop has a preferences file but my next move would be trying to find it and delete it, but thats a total wild stab in the dark
  • Ghostscape
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Yeah I've solved it before by killing the preferences I believe. edit: NO I HAVE NOT. I just reset them and its still doing it frown.gif

I don't know what causes it - I booted it up one day and it was like this. I hadn't been doing any print work or anything and hadn't been messing around with my color settings at all. I have since messed with them but have not been able to fix it.
  • pyromania
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    pyromania polycounter lvl 18
    I've had that happen when I install new video card drivers and it corrupts the monitor's color profile.

Control Panel>>Display>>Settings tab>>Advanced button>>Color Managment tab

Delete the current profile or set it to a new one.
  • Ghostscape
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    [ QUOTE ]
    I've had that happen when I install new video card drivers and it corrupts the monitor's color profile.

Control Panel>>Display>>Settings tab>>Advanced button>>Color Managment tab

Delete the current profile or set it to a new one.

[/ QUOTE ]

Interestingly enough I just checked in photoshop, and if I set photoshop to show the proof colors preview for Monitor RGB, it looks normal.

So I think you hit the nail on the head.

Awesome!

e: problem solved! I deleted the only profile I had in there(had a name like ne-9911, I've got a NEC 911b monitor), then added the sRGB one, it gave me an error saying there was a problem disassociating with some random string of characters. I went back into the settings tab, and my NE-9911 was listed in there along with sRGB, put it back to ne-9911, loaded up photoshop, everything is awesome again.

Thanks!
  • Vailias
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Vailias polycounter lvl 18
    Ghost: the other thing is that in that image you posted the title bar of the image you're working on shows it as being in 8bit Greyscale colorspace.

"Untitled1 100% (Layer1, Grey/8)"

I've had this happen a few times when I make a greyscale texture for something, and the "new image" settings get stuck on greyscale as a default.