Home General Discussion

The Manxies go to Florida

polycounter lvl 19
Offline / Send Message
Gmanx polycounter lvl 19
The family and I are just a week away from our two week vacation in DisneyWorld Orlando.

It's our first time in the States, and I wondered whether any of you had any advice or must-see recommendations for Disney, International Drive or Orlando in general.

We've already booked visits to Universal Studios, the Kennedy Space Cantre and an airboat ride through the everglades (which sounds like great fun).

Any more?

Replies

• Asherr
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Asherr polycounter lvl 18
    it's too bad you weren't already in Florida. there was a shuttle launch just yesterday (Aug 8).
  • praetus
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    praetus interpolator
    There are alot of fun places on I-Drive there from Wet n' Wild (water park) to Wonderworks (weird mueseum similar to Ripley's). You seem to be hitting up the major parks already but when going to Disney they had a system where you could get a "ticket" for major rides where it would give you a time to come back. In the mean time you could get some food or try for another ride. Just make sure to dress in lighter colors since Florida summers are hot and humid as hell.

Also bring a camera to Kennedy (of course) tons of great reference material. They have an outside area with all these old rockets and stuff. Pretty neat.
  • notman
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    notman polycounter lvl 18
    I just went to DisneyWorld in April. Are you staying at one of their resorts? Or off site? Using a rental car?

We stayed at the Coronado Spring resort and had the dining plan. Ate like a damn king while we were there and used the internal transportation systems to get around. It works out pretty well. Even if you drive a car there, you can park at one attraction, then jump on the internal transportation to other parks.
    We also had the park hopper option, which was great when making dinner plans. It allowed us to make reservations anywhere. Every dining place gets PACKED around the usual lunch and dinner times. If you have the Disney Dining plan, make reservations NOW... not when you arrive and definitely not the day of. Everything gets occupied until 9PM (for dine in eating). Walk up places aren't too bad though.

Much to cover... if you want more info, let me know.
  • Gmanx
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Gmanx polycounter lvl 19
    Thanks for all the info guys.. We're staying 'on site' at Disney's Carribean Beach resort - which looks fantastic. We have pre-paid tickets for both Disney and Universal.

Yeah, shame about the Endevour launch.. Missed it by a couple of weeks...

We're definitely going to make use of the 'fast-pass' system of booking places on rides about a half-hour beforehand. Seems to work like queue-jumping.

We've also got access to the Disney parks before and after regular hours (for residents only) which is sweet, it should be a lot cooler morning and evening.

Good advice on the dining Notman, we're not using the dining plan though. Hopefully getting to the diners won't be too much of a hassle.

This is a kinda 'once in a lifetime' deal for us at the moment - our kids are just young enough (at fifteen and twelve) to still enjoy the parks without sulking or getting embarrassed. My wife and I are going to take every opportunity we can to act stupid and hug 'cast members' which is probably a scary prospect for them, I'm a big guy!
  • notman
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Yeah, my daughters are 10 and 14. They loved it. To be honest though, the fast-pass sucks. I thought it would be great... go in, grab fast passes for the different rides, then do something and as times came up. Unfortunately, they only allow you to hold one fast pass at a time. So, if you grab a pass for the teacup ride, you can't walk over and grab another one from the dumbo ride until the teacup ticket expires. Most of the time, the fast pass return time is longer than if you just wait in line.

One thing to remember (if you didn't know) is a rider-switch deal they have. Say you have a kid that doesn't like coasters. You can ride it once with the kid that does like coasters, while your wife waits with the other child. Then, you get off and your wife gets to move to the front of the line with your kid again, and you stand with the one that doesn't like rides. We did this once since my youngest doesn't like big coasters. We tricked her onto most of the other rides wink.gif

Like I said though, stick with the walk up eating. The sit down/dine in places are expensive. We walked out of each of the sit down places with a bill for around $120 each time. Since we were on the dining plan, it didn't cost us anything. Then again, we ordered more than we typically would have since it was all included (appetizer, main meal, and desert). The Walk ups usually ran about $60... again, eating an appetizer, main course, and desert... for four people.

Which parks do you have tickets for? If you go to Epcot, make sure you ride the GM test track. Also, stay for the illuminations fireworks at the end of the day there (find seating early). It's very damn cool.

We also had the early/late hours because we were staying at the resort. It is SWEEET. We usually only caught the later hours, but basically, you get on all the rides with not wait. So you ride, then run over to the next one. Most of the time it looked like things were closed, because there was no one there waiting.
    In addition, if you want to meet characters there, the later hours are great for that. Also, I guess Mickey and Minnie open up Magic Kingdom every morning by riding the train in to the front of the park. If you want to kids to see/meet them, I suggest doing that.

OH, and if the kids are into collecting character autographs, bring along some white hats and a small clip-on sharpie. My kids did that and it's a great sovenier (better than the autograph books IMO).

Final tip, get hydration packs. This should be good for everywhere you go. They ran us about $20-$25 each before we left and we didn't have to buy a single drink while we were there. It was nice to have that on our backs as we walked around. My wife pre-packaged mixed Kool-aid before we went on the trip, and when the kids wanted flavor for the day, I would drop those packets in. We mainly ended up just using water the whole time though.

Sorry... I'm saying a lot, but I'd like to help keep you from learning things like we had to while there smile.gif
  • jgarland
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I heartily agree with most of what notman said, although I think the FastPass tickets are worth it. The trick is to find another ride that doesn't have a line. It's not really that hard, as most of the older rides are like this. It's also really great if you want to grab a bite to eat before starting the day.
  • Spark
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Spark polycounter lvl 18
    Having worked for Disney for a few years ( artist ) I had enough of a chance to find a few gems. Though this was like 9 yrs ago:) so I am sure that things have changed. But within MGM Studios, near the starwars/and indiana jones section you will find the foli sound studio. This was a place that you could go in and see how a tv show was done, which was ok, but on the way out there was a section where you could create foli sounds and such, but within that area you would find a door. Where you then put on headphones that would give you an effect of meeting mickey, getting a haircut and so on all with sound effects that made you feel like it was all happening to you. I found it pretty cool, and something that alot of people missed, otherwise Downtown Disney with the Cirque du Soleil and great resturaunts and shops was always a fun place to relax out of the hassle of the parks. Have fun, and good luck driving around there:) as it's big and easy to get lost.

Spark
  • Em.
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Em. polycounter lvl 17
    My Husband and I went to DW this last Christmas, I agree with notman, the dining plan was awesome and so worth it. The thing about DW is how absolutely massive it is, I couldn't have prepared myself for the distance between parks. I would also never stay off property, considering it took us a good 30-45 minutes just to get from the airport to our hotel. The internal transport is nice, and pretty frequent, we didn't rent a car at all.

Mornings, we found, are the best time to avoid lines, the closer to the rope drop you can be, the better. Late nights weren't as good as Mornings, but still nice. It was worth getting up at 6 am to get there, because most of the time we had been on every ride we wanted to go on at least twice.

If you like coasters be sure to go to animal kingdom and ride Expedition Everest, and rock n roller coaster and tower of terror at MGM.

It might be a little late to use, but there's a guy that runs a website, tourguide mike, that was really helpful for inside tips(he does DW VIP tours so he's got a lot of good info. Also, there are the DIS boards that are full of disney world/land fanatics, a lot of them are douchebags, but they have a lot of good info on where to eat and what's cool at what parks.

Have fun on your vacation, it was one of the best weeks of our lives.
  • notman
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    [ QUOTE ]
    rock n roller coaster

[/ QUOTE ]

hahaha, that was the first ride we rode while there... Like I mentioned earlier, my youngest doesn't like roller coasters, but she loves Aerosmith, so she wanted to ride it. I think if she could have seen the coaster before getting on, she would never have riden it. It starts with a 0-60MPH in a few seconds, then does all sorts off flips.

That reminds me though.... There will be people posted around taking pictures... let them do it. It gets stored on a card that you can view online... that includes photos while on rides. When you are done with a ride, give them your photopass card and you can view it later.
  • Gmanx
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Gmanx polycounter lvl 19
    We have two-week 'ultimate' pass tickets to everything in Disney and Universal.

We looked at the dining plan, but felt that it would restrict us to Disney, plus we'd already spent a HUGE amount on the two=week passes.

We've watched the Disney promo DVD a couple of hundred times smile.gif and are looking out for the rock n' rollercoaster, expedition everest (which is new) and tower of terror.

Notman - my kids are 15 and 12, so I'm in for a similar experience to you - but my youngest (girl) is gunning for the big coasters! When you mention hydropacks, I presume you mean something like this? Do many people wear these in the park? And if so, where do you put them when you're on the rides?

Again - thanks for all the advice, I'm sure we're gonna have the time of our lives.
  • notman
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Expedition Everest is cool... that's the one my 10 year old wouldn't ride, but my 14 year old loved it.

Yeah, that's the hydration pack I was referring to. Honestly, I didn't see anyone else wearing them, but everyone kept asking us about them. Many were wishing they had them also. Same with the signing the hat idea I mentioned earlier. That's why I brought these things up since it appeared no one else had thought of them.
    Many rides have a pocket in front of you that you can sit something in, since most of their rides don't go upside down. You can wear them while riding though. It's only minorly uncomfortable early in the day when it's full. Even then, it just made you sit forward some. I also took it off one arm at one time for a ride. It really didn't become a problem and all and I loved having it. Plus, they have small pockets on them, which can be good for small things.
  • notman
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Been meaning to do this for a while, but here's some of my pics from Disney back in April in case you, or anyone else, is intersted.
    http://picasaweb.google.com/notman05/DisneyWorld