Home 3D Art Showcase & Critiques

brand new

interpolator
Offline / Send Message
jmiles interpolator
hey all.. i'm a bit new to this site. just thot i'd post some work up here to give you all a good idea of what i'm capable of so far..i am pulling away from deviant art and CGarena because they are worthless when it comes to helpful criticism.. these are a couple of pieces i put together in my recent demo reel..

aeriesmodelsheetsmalltp6.jpg
Shot at 2007-07-27

pandalayoutsmallkb3.jpg
Shot at 2007-07-27

kadensmallel1.jpg
Shot at 2007-07-27

the druid and the lion models are still wip's... mainly because i could push the druids skin further.. as well as the fact that they both should be rigged... i just learned to use the biped in max recently, and i'm still fairly newbish to it... but i was able to rig the panda without too much trouble.. high poly models are a different story, so i have some books that i'm reading up on.. but in the mean time, i feel that it would be more important for me at this point to work with more simplified models... here is my most recent work.. a dwarf concept and the first stages of the model... i've strayed away from the black and white concept, however.. it's mainly just for anatomical purposes.. i'm actually going to be creating more of a paladin type... inspired by blizzard of course...

dwarfconcept01dt6.jpg
Shot at 2007-07-28

and the model...

dorfprogressmu7.jpg
Shot at 2007-07-28

now i posted the picture of the model in another thread w/ questions about normal mapping.. there is a thread, i think, either before mine or after which there was a long conversation about most of the answers to the questions i have, but i may still have more.. however, i learned a lot from the thread already.. u guys rule... and there's tons of good work up here for reference... i appreciate any incite you can give me and i'll do my best to respond in kind.. thanks... J.miles

Replies

• jmiles
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    jmiles interpolator
    edit: sorry..the questions are in the 2d/3d discussion section..
  • Master_v12
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Hey man good to have you here Im a bit new to the PC community myself but here's my crit man.

Druid: Its poly count is way out of control, Even for cinematic characters, it looks like you modeled every single feather on it. You could have gotten a pretty good result using a band of polys with an Alpha on it. It also looks like you used a shader for the skin, I would recomend unwapping it and getting some good skin texture work on it. As far as a the design of your night elf I really like it, It totaly looks like it could be in the game.

Panderan: Is that 1588 Polys or Tris? For using 2048 of texture space your texture looks relatively low res. I can almost guarantee that there is not a single 2048 texture on any World of Warcraft game. There are a few things on your painted texture that actually dont look bad at all so i know you got what it takes. Try getting your map and shriking it to a 512 and see if you can work with that.

WIPS: You are right on the ball with staying away from high poly models for now. The less polys you have to work with the better. you got a good start on your dwarf and your loops are lookin good. Its the texture work thats going to do it man so stay low. And if you are talkin Polycount, get used to talkin in Tris and not Polys(I know it dont make much sence but eh). Watch your Polygon distribution also make sure your mesh looks nice and clean smile.gif Looking forward to the updates!
  • shotgun
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    shotgun polycounter lvl 19
    my guess is you're pimping your best work here from the reel u'r putting... so where's the less good work? wink.gif

i think both textured models have pretty dull-ish similar palette. if u'r aiming for blizzard style you'll have to explore broader, deeper palette. i think u hit the painterly feel pretty good on the 2nd one, and that there are a lot of dark /burnt areas. if its the rendering i think it's taking away from the paint, if its the paint then god no smile.gif . if the focus of the first was the reference then u should post that too.

i also think the background texture on the 2nd one should be stronger, like in the first. is it the same texture as on the elf armor? so maybe for the panda but a bg texture that "belongs" to him,,

the lion is very nice, feels like the back of the hand could use some tightening, with the tendons and all, fingers feel kinda off

good work!
  • Ged
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Ged interpolator
    Hey Ive seen you on deviantart, you have some good work. Be aware that the guys here at polycount will probably be honest about any flaws they see in your work, very very honest haha. So yeah you will get some good critque here smile.gif

I like the pandaren but it seems to have some warped/ stretched areas. most noteable is on the ummm kilt armour thing and the top of the forearm. But even these are minor issues.
  • Asthane
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Asthane polycounter lvl 18
    I agree with most of what Master_v12 says, though I think 300k is fine for a cinematic model. Like anything else though, you have to use them well and I agree that there isn't 300k worth of detail on the model. For a cinematic model I would model the feathers, personally, since they'd probably be rigged with some sort of physics, but that's me. It'd be interesting to see wires to see where they're spent.

Panda looks very odd to me, I think perhaps it's because it's too human. Inflating and rounding out the main body to be more 'bearlike' might have helped.

The lion is done nicely, but I would definitely put more thought into the hands and feet. The feet especially I think could use some reference for the overall shape, because it looks to me like you just modeled how you knew they were structured and they came out stiff and awkward.
  • jmiles
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    jmiles interpolator
    hey everybody.. appreciate all the fine comments...

master v12.. ya you hit it on the head... when i worked on aeries i decided just to go all out and not have any poly limit.. most of the objects in the scene have mesh smooths on them, as i just looking to anti-alias the crap out of him...and i did actually UV his body.. i just never worked the skin is all.. my main exploration with this character was the use of mix maps... textures w/ alphas/masks, and layering them and such... here's the wallpaper i drew my inspiration from

druuddesktopsmallfb7.jpg
    Shot at 2007-07-28

and the pandaren.. ya he's a combination of quads and tris... with his textures.. his body texture is actually 512.. his floating geometry: ie, the paldrons, beard, fuumanchu, top knot, and drapery... they were done w/ the 2048 diffuse/alpha.. donno what i was thinking at the time, but i think i was afraid i'd lose detail if i kept the texture 512.. especially for the beard and top knot..

shotgun.. heh.. ya you are right about the pandaren.. while i was painting the leather armor, i do believe i put on a color burn blend mode on the paint because i thought it would bold the color up a bit.. and i liked how it looked at time.. but i'll get back to it some time and re-work the texture..i'll work on saturating the color of the leather because that's what blizzard would do, i think..

thanks all for the fine crits
  • jmiles
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    jmiles interpolator
    figure i'd get on the low-poly band wagon and bust out some characters... i chose kain from the LOK series.. always been one of my favorite series..here's progress

kainprogress2nj3.jpg
    Shot at 2007-07-29

and an update to my dorf model

dorfprogress4sl6.jpg
    Shot at 2007-07-29

acutally.. the figures are about half the polys as what it says.. kain is a lil over 500 tris.. and the dwarfs is prolly roughly 2700 quads/tris... crits or comments welcome.. thanks smile.gif
  • suffeli
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Hiyas!

Good stuff here. Your dwarf has really strange body proportions right now. It looks a adolescent male human with short stumpy hands. Also the face looks very childish at the moment. I would give him a stronger jaw and chiseled cheek bones to add some of that rugged manliness to his face. I probably would also consider removing those embossed details on the armour since they are taking a lot of tris for such small detail. Also that shield on his chest will brake his nuts if he tries to bend over. smile.gif I'm not sure about the shoulder plates too since they will hinder his movement very much... like a walking tin can. Dunno if thats what you're after.