Home 3D Art Showcase & Critiques

Handheld environment: SKATE RASCALS

polycounter lvl 19
Offline / Send Message
adam polycounter lvl 19
This was originally suppose to be an entry for PC's 35th challenge but I never made it in time. I was busy with other stuff and such.

Anyhoo, here's a brief re-cap for idea behind the environment then I'll roll in to the pictures.

What is 'Skate Rascals'?: Skate Rascal's is a hand-held skate boarding game made in vein of the Tony Hawk series. The story behind it is theres a group of 3 or 4 skaters (the 'rascals') that will only skate on hard-to-reach, very exclusive, and probably illegal locations. It is up to the gamer to successfully navigate past all the obstacles on the way to the skate park and once there "pull the sickest tricks imaginable!".

Each map would load with an animation of the player finally breaking in to the location (as seen in the first screenshot).

More technical info down below, after the screenshots.

ROOFTOP SHENANIGANS!!
handheld_skatepark_01.jpg

handheld_skatepark_02.jpg

handheld_skatepark_03.jpg

handheld_skatepark_04.jpg

-Originally made for a Polycount.com challenge.
-my first go at low-poly environment art/design
-Only a couple items are 1-off assets, everything else is based on modular design
-The rules were to create skate park or race track, 5000-6000 triangles and no more than 1024x1024 texture space
-I'm not entirely sure if I can get away with such a thing on a handheld. The limits were quite high so I designed the environment assuming it would be for a handheld.
-I just picked the PSP, it wasn't apart of the requirements of the challenge. It has a wide-screen ration, which I enjoy using in my final renders.
-diffuse, colour, spec, normal, environment map, ao/lightmap
-no post

*phew*

I'm glad to be done this, my home PC is ready to die on me.

I enjoyed worked on this a lot. Thanks to those who helped with with lighting, Vahl especially - thanks Frencho.

Replies

• odium
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    odium polycounter lvl 18
    While its awesome, I cant help but think... Why...? You say texture space was something you had to aim for, yet you included normal maps and specular maps...? The PSP probably doesn't even support normal mapping and if it does you would be hard pressed to see it. As for the spec maps, those could be saved into the alpha channel, to save space.

Remember also that while you have a limited memory for textures that also applied to lightmaps, so they wouldn't look that sharp. The resolution would also be half that.

Either way, its a damn cool little project you have going on there, looks really nice, very well lit. Shame that everything on PSP is usually full bright because the PSP bombs at decent lighting. A game like this would need to be fully smooth anyway (Thinks of Tony Hawks, cries at the awful frame rate).
  • adam
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    adam polycounter lvl 19
    Hey odium, thanks for the kind words. Few things...

All 4 shots are exactly PSP resolution. I tried to get it as close to a 1:1 scale ratio as possible.

The lightmap could be saved to a seperate UV, taking up a full 1024x1024. The only thing in the lightmap though is a faked ambient occlusion pass, not the rest of the lighting. I will try and watch for that if I do another low poly scene.

Spec & normal was fine for the challenge, so I kept them in. Whether or not a PSP can actually handle normal maps I'm not so sure, but it was fun pretending! :P

I may actually do another low-poly scene - another level for this 'game' - and do it with real PSP limitations.

Thanks again man.
  • Joao Sapiro
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Joao Sapiro sublime tool
    looks solid man , my favorite part is the lightnign eheh nice job on it !

althou when yo uclaim to be handheld environment and use next gen techniques seem a bit contradicting doesnt it;) ?
  • Steve Schulze
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Steve Schulze polycounter lvl 18
    PSP doesn't like normal maps.

Its a nice looking scene, but it'd blur into one big nasty smear on the PSP. You really do need to avoid high contrast and dark colours if you were wanting to port this to the PSP. Saturated reds are a particular problem.

Never mind though, if its just a portfolio piece and you're not going to be trying to get a job making PSP games, its perfectly good.
  • adam
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    adam polycounter lvl 19
    Johny: I won't go as far with it in regards to texture passes as I have here, but normal-maps aren't next-gen wink.gif

Jackablade: Aye, just a folio piece. I've not much interest in making handheld games, but I do enjoy doing this sort of thing. I tend to keep my red sat. values below 65 whenever possible, but with this piece I wanted a lot of colour so I kept it a bit high.

One of the complaints with this early on was a lack of colour, contrast, etc. I took it a bit far this time around, but really I'm very happy with the results.

And it was a very fun little project to have.
  • Tulkamir
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Tulkamir polycounter lvl 18
    Hah, turned out great Adam. Whether or not it could be on the psp doesn't matter, it's a sexy piece. I always love how you present your work, it takes it that extra little bit, so good job.

Got a question for you guys though, why keep the reds low? I've never heard about this before... (sorry to get a bit off topic).
  • adam
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    adam polycounter lvl 19
    High saturated colours, specifically red, will create colour bleeding on most TV's where the colour value will bleed over to another pixel.
  • Tulkamir
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Tulkamir polycounter lvl 18
    Ahh, makes sense. Thanks Adam. smile.gif