Home 3D Art Showcase & Critiques

miss knight: done!

I figured id make a new post for this instead of digging up the old one.
I finally got this done during my break. Aside from some alpha sorting issues on the hair, I think im gonna call this done
http://www.mvelasquez.com/knight.html
knight_2pose02.jpg
knight_2pose01.jpg

Replies

• oobersli
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    oobersli polycounter lvl 17
    very cool looking. Those look like ski boots from hell.
  • blankslatejoe
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    blankslatejoe polycounter lvl 19
  • Elpen
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Elpen polycounter lvl 9
    Awesome stuff, respect laugh.gif
  • Sayanora
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Sayanora polycounter lvl 11
    Michael, very nice piece! Very credible. I've been watching this one for some time now, so it's good to see you've finished.

If I had to nitpick, it'd be about the weapon(halberd?) she's holding. It seems to be lacking the same visual punch the rest of the work has. From the looks of it, the spec seems to be duller than her armor. I suppose this depends on the level of decay the weapon has suffered, but it hardly seems to be reflective at all.

As far as the anatomy goes, it looks solid. I'm not sure myself, but one thing that may catch some of the anatomy experts' eyes are the hands. They look a bit beefy. If this is a style choice, no harm there smile.gif Good work man.
  • Lee3dee
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Lee3dee polycounter lvl 18
    very nice! did you model the hair in mudbox/zbrush?
  • gavku
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    gavku polycounter lvl 18
    Very nice dude......
  • indian_boy
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    yummy! thats pure cool man!
  • mvelasquez
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Thankee all!
    Sayanora: damn i didnt notice that. her weapon is just as shiny as the armor i guess i wasnt paying attention to it when picking the camera angles. Actually you can kinda see some of the actual spec from the back end on the bottom left shot.
    Leedee: thanks! the base of the hair/ponytail was sculpted with mudbox but i ended up doing the separate alpha'd strands with photoshop.

Lesson learned: dont bake in AO on parts that will move during animation. I wasn't thinking about potential poses when texturing but the left shoulder ended up moving a lot more than i expected and exposed a lot of baked shadowing on the green cloth. easy fix though.
  • Slipstream
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Slipstream polycounter lvl 19
    That looks solid. Really great work dude
  • Thegodzero
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Thegodzero polycounter lvl 18
    Nice work, but...
    You need to make a map to tighten up your spec levels. Rite now everything has the same material feel to it. Breaking up things with varied spec tightnesses will help define materials.
    Also if the stuff on the armor is supposed to be gold you have a ways to go before that looks rite. The same goes for the bone? parts if thats what they are?

Its good but it need a bit more tweaking in the textures.
  • Spacey
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Spacey polycounter lvl 18
    Damn! She turned out great.

The only thing that bugs me is that her mouth looks really flat in both the sense that the corners don't go back into into her head and that the bottom lip looks straight (like it's too meaty in the corners).

Those eyes though...<3
  • Toomas
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Toomas polycounter lvl 18
    Nice work, lots of character and she doesnt have the bimbo in armour suit vibe either. Love the face.
    Some cloth folds seem a bit mechanical and it might be good idea to cover all the hair with alpha strips, the ones you have now seem kinda tacked on because you can see where they clip.
  • spider2cool
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    spider2cool polycounter lvl 18
    its kind of annoying that people don't show their finished on their original thread. you never did anything about the tiny barbiedoll feet. oh well
  • Renaud Galand
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Renaud Galand polycounter lvl 19
    [ QUOTE ]
    Nice work, but...
    You need to make a map to tighten up your spec levels. Rite now everything has the same material feel to it. Breaking up things with varied spec tightnesses will help define materials.

[/ QUOTE ]

I had the exact same feeling at first glance. The model and the design itself looks really nice but I'd work on the shaders/materials and on the contrast.

Good work anyways !
  • JKMakowka
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    JKMakowka polycounter lvl 18
    [ QUOTE ]

As far as the anatomy goes, it looks solid. I'm not sure myself, but one thing that may catch some of the anatomy experts' eyes are the hands. They look a bit beefy. If this is a style choice, no harm there smile.gif Good work man.

[/ QUOTE ]

Her right thumb seems a bit short too tongue.gif

Great work!
  • Por@szek
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Por@szek polycounter lvl 18
    Dang thats awesome.
    I;m not a character artist but when I see works like this one I'm starting to think to do some chars. Lovely jobe. I lvoe the color palette, and , and , and ... all of her.
    Pls check the plate on the haunch, it looks a but stronger then rest of the blue plates. Color is a bit stronger then in rest of it and shadow around the shapes on it is a lot more stronger then the other. Of course if U did not make it in purpose.
  • poopinmymouth
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    poopinmymouth polycounter lvl 19
    Great work man. I love how the feet and leg armor in general feels. I'll echo the sentiments that her fingers are a bit too beefy. I'd not only make them more slender, but they could stand to have the knuckles a tad bit more prominent.

In addition to the crit about the metal spec being too similar all over, I think the diffuse map is a bit too similar all over in terms of value. There should probably be at least one material that is DARK and one that is LIGHT and then lots of various shades between. Right now the middle value of all the materials is very similar.

I think her face could stand to be pinked a bit in the shadows, particularly around her jaw and nose. The facial structure itself though is gorgeous.

Nice work dude, great portfolio piece.

poop.gif
  • MoP
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    MoP polycounter lvl 18
    Really nice, I love the design and style, great feeling of weight and mass too.
    Agreed that the fingers seem a little chunky. All the other proportions are fine IMHO.

My main crit with this piece, as has been mentioned by a couple of other people, is that all the values (both diffuse and spec) are lying in the mid range, so all the materials come off very similar - her hair is as shiny as her armour, and the cloth is quite shiny too.
    You should really push the contrast in materials - make the cloth spec almost black for most of it, pump up the specular on the metal parts, and get more contrast into the diffuse colours as Poop suggested.

I think with about 30 minutes of tweaking levels/brightness on your textures (provided the layers are set up on a per-material basis as I usually do to save time when it comes to things like this), you could easily double the visual impact this model has.

Nice work though, and good job getting it finished and posed, that's always tough to see a project through so far.
  • Joao Sapiro
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Joao Sapiro sublime tool
    kickass work graves ! with the right speculars and maybe some material differenciation this would pop even more !

P.S - i still remember your work from the matrix unplugged wink.gif
  • FAT_CAP
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    FAT_CAP polycounter lvl 18
    This is a really nice peice! The boots and lower armour really nice and make the character into something unique and visually interesting.

Totally agree with the other's sentiments about the specular values though. Making the cloth less shiny and the metals more shiny and glossy if you have a glossiness map, maybe even with a subtle environment map would really take this character up a notch visually.
  • BoBo_the_seal
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    BoBo_the_seal polycounter lvl 18
    very nice!

- BoBo
  • Dennispls
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Dennispls polycounter lvl 16
    Very nice work
    i love the colors!
  • xysdf
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    xysdf polycounter lvl 11
    ya, very nice work!
  • IronHawk
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    IronHawk polycounter lvl 10
    Great work dude!

I think you should work on the diffuse and spec a little bit more like others have suggested though.
  • mvelasquez
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    thanks!
    i agree with the diffuse being to flat with the values ill make the changes accordingly.

Anyone know how to enable a gloss map with a fx. shader?
    I put together a .fx shader by saving a standard material with dx display enabled and loading it as a directxshader.
    I had a texture in the gloss material slot of the standard material but the fx shader doesnt seem to transfer that over and only shows the gloss as a numerical spinner. I want to control the gloss via a texture not a spinner.

Im trying out Ben Cloward's shaderfx but im still not getting the results im looking for.
    Anyone have an answer on this?
  • Joao Sapiro
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Joao Sapiro sublime tool
    dude , you dont need a gloss map to make it pop, just play with the specular, make for example a 100 specular power and 20 glossiness, and just play around with the specular map , imo its the specular that actually makes the materials, wood, metal etc, it all depends on it.

keep going man ! and keep us updated please.
  • Thegodzero
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    You don't have to use a fx shader all the time, just as long as you can render and see it. Do make a gloss map, and try and stop using the sliders as most games cant so why waste your time. Also make an environment map please, you can view that with the fx shader and it looks sexy!

Finishing things is good but pushing yourself to use advanced materials and finishing things is even better.
  • hawken
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    hawken polycounter lvl 19
    wow all models are not created equal!
  • Makkon
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Makkon polycounter
    It's a rare sight to behold a female character that doesn't look like a whore. I commend you for your sense and skill. You, good sir, kick ass!
  • mvelasquez
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    i just picked up a new monitor so its hard to tell what looks right to everyone else.
    Im just going relative to the last shots i put up.
    knight_3pose01.jpg
    too light? too dark?
    I pushed the values on the diffuse, turned up the spec saturation and added a slight environment map to the armor. Oh i also cleaned up the clipping from the posing.
  • Daz
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Daz polycounter lvl 18
    Top notch work Michael, very nice.
  • Thegodzero
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Nice update! So for the filigree (gold like stuff) what you need is something like this.
    ringmaps.jpg
    And then in the environment map mask make the color a brown/orange color to hue shift the values of the environment map.
    You should end up with something like this on the gold.
    http://tgz3d.com/ring.avi

As for the other sharp parts i still don't know what material you were trying for so i can't help you there.
  • ElysiumGX
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    ElysiumGX polycounter lvl 18
    [ QUOTE ]
    It's a rare sight to behold a female character that doesn't look like a whore.

[/ QUOTE ]

Because she looks like a dude. A well designed and attractive dude.
  • JordanW
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    JordanW polycounter lvl 19
    Looks cool, I think the second looks like an improvement but I would be cautious with the specular. Just because the texture is being used doesn't mean that it should show up on everything. The purple highlights on the straps and a lot of the cloth kind of stand out as making the material look awkward.

I would focus on really making the metals pop with their specular and dull down the cloth a bit. Like make the gold really hot and saturated in it's specular while making it dark and dull (kind of a greyish brown) in it's diffuse so that you get a contrast between it's shadow and highlight, A yellow specular on yellow diffuse doesn't end up looking very interesting. Then what you can do is start painting heavy dirt in some of the cracks and seams of the bluish metal's specular. It doesn't have to necessarily show up in the diffuse but it does help to break up that spec.
  • JKMakowka
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    [ QUOTE ]
    [ QUOTE ]
    It's a rare sight to behold a female character that doesn't look like a whore.

[/ QUOTE ]

Because she looks like a dude. A well designed and attractive dude.

[/ QUOTE ]

Somehow I agree... her face looks a bit man'ish on closer inspection. But woman like her probably have a high testosterone level tongue.gif
    Interestingly the highpoly version from your website ( http://www.mvelasquez.com/images/knight/mudbox002.jpg ) looks quite a bit more feminine.
  • Jaco
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Jaco polycounter lvl 17
    Very nice, the increased contrast makes it look a lot better.
  • mvelasquez
  • JKMakowka
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
  • ElysiumGX
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    ElysiumGX polycounter lvl 18
    I agree the high poly looks more feminine.

This still looks manish. What did you tweak?

I think it's the strong wide bottom lip that causes it. The shape extends to below the corners of her mouth.

Not a factor in gender, but the eyes appear robotic. Too much shine on the iris, and not enough color. But that depends on your style.
  • indian_boy
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    that kinda looks like a dent on her cheek and not a scar. just my opinion.

great work otherwise! grin.gif
  • spider2cool
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    spider2cool polycounter lvl 18
    i mentioned this the last time you posted her and i tried to slid in the comment in this reposting. i drew it out this time maybe i am seeing things...temporarily cut off the foot and compare where it fits on her forearm. maybe i am wrong, please show me if i am.
    proportionszb0.jpg
  • killingpeople
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    killingpeople polycounter lvl 18
    she has a small penis apparently.
  • mvelasquez
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    thanks for the crits. all very valid, but at this point im calling it done(fo reals this time) and im moving on to other stuff.
  • notman
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    notman polycounter lvl 18
    [ QUOTE ]
    she has a small penis apparently.

[/ QUOTE ]
    laugh.giflaugh.gif