Home 3D Art Showcase & Critiques

Low Polygon RAAF

polycounter lvl 17
Offline / Send Message
Smirnoffka polycounter lvl 17
Hi Guys. Decided to get off my arse and do something, so I decided to hone my low polygon skills into creating (eventually) all of the aircraft of the Royal Australian Air Force. Done for 2 reasons, 1, to help catch on to this 'texturing' fad, and 2, to cheer myself up. I have been down lately because I am not flying atm due to a back injury, and instead have been failing hard engineering exams. Oh well, enough chit chat. Here is the first aircraft, a Pilatus PC9 from the RAAF Roulettes, our Aerobatic team. Also, our main training aircraft and the aircraft I was training in before I was injured. Seemed like a good place to start...

1.jpg
2.jpg
3.jpg
Wires:
4.jpg
Texture:
texture.jpg

And for those of you not in the know Roulettes
mein_roulettes_1_500.jpg
797px-RAAF_Roulettes_Pilatus_PC9A_A23-061.jpg

ANY crits, paintovers, flames, swears tips or tricks are appreciated. I am specifically having trouble with getting decent looking metal, and since the whole aircraft is metal, it kind of sucks. Just want to get number 1 out of the way so I can start working on number 2, probably a Caribou. I have this idea in my head of a mini RTS with all these aircraft at the end, but thats probably just a dream.

256* texture, 1 alpha.

Thanks Guys!

Replies

• uk_resistant
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    uk_resistant polycounter lvl 17
    i think if you want the metallic look, you need to add a specular map, that or add some painted highlights.

looks good though.
  • Smirnoffka
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Smirnoffka polycounter lvl 17
    Hehe, low specs are due to my hand being in a cast. I figured it would be easier this way... I have a 6000 odd polygon PC9 ready for unwrap, I just hate unwrapping shit.

/edit

Thanks for the crits. Main reason for the side highlights is the seam at the top of one side. Probably a bad place to put it. But you have been very helpful, thanks!
  • LoTekK
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    LoTekK polycounter lvl 17
    The unwrap is a little odd, haphazard, even. You've got bits that should be taking advantage of straight lines (ailerons, canopy, etc) on an angle, and bits that really don't need those straight lines (leading edge of wings) aligned to horizontal or vertical. This is probably most evident on the canopy, where the frame is quite blatantly asymmetrical on your model.