Home 3D Art Showcase & Critiques

2d animation - punch

Hello there.

I'm trying to make some 2d animations for a game im working on. Its going to be in pixel format later so details are not needed..
I had problems with making the cape look good. What can I do to improve the animation?

punchph8.gif

Replies

• frettchen
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    It looks a little dull at the moment - I think you could really exagerate those poses - get some nice C curves in there when he pulls the arm back then snaps forward

Also the left leg really stands out at the moment as it's so still - maybe have him weightshift on it a bit as he punches
  • kodde
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    kodde polycounter lvl 18
    He needs to use his whole body in the motion to get maximum strength behind that punch. Try throwing a punch in front of a mirror yourself. The body definately needs to twist more.

Check out some referenses. I bet you can find some on youtube or whatever.

EDIT. Check this one out. Punch on youtube
  • EricElwell
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    EricElwell insane polycounter
    I would suggest moving him back, or shortening his arm a little bit so that you can get a quick over-extended frame. I agree with what everyone else has said.

I don't want to detract from your work, so I'll just link.. This is the animation I made when working on mighty fist, I wanted to make sure he used his whole body, had a wind up, and also over extended the target for a split second, and had an impacted frame slightly longer, this gives more of an illusion of force. Links: finish rough
  • Richard Kain
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Richard Kain polycounter lvl 18
    Also, its worth noting that what he's doing at the moment is a cross-punch. A jab would use his other arm. (at least according to the position of his feet) For a short, quick attack, a jab is generally considered better, and provides longer reach. (again, based on the way his feet are set)
  • Rhinokey
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Rhinokey polycounter lvl 18
    i'm hardly a 2d animator, but i was messing around with a trial of toonboom a while back and did these. one thing i liked to do was exagerate motion, and move more than just the key body parts, i started first with a scribbly loose test then filled it in as i went. also watch out with being too subtle, something should either move, or it shouldnt. for example the leg on your animation just kinda. twitches

http://www.tmhunt.com//toon/
  • The Umbrella Man
    I Box so I can help you out with this one. When throwing a right cross you have to step with your left foot forward facing at a 45 degree angle, then pivot your right foot until it faces the opponent while your hips twist as the right cross is thrown, it's all one fluid motion, and basically the whole body moves with the punch.

EDIT: Oh and typically your whole body gets lower by about two inches when throwing a right cross, and your head comes forward and to the left of your left foot.
  • EricElwell
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    EricElwell insane polycounter
    I should also mention that to achieve good force you do not need to keep the proportions intact, but the volume will need to stay intact. That is to say, you can squish and and stretch his torso, arms, fist, whatever, to achieve more motion and force, but they need to maintain volume. keep hackin at it
  • Carl Brannstrom
    I made a pixel version of it and the legs looks like crap frown.gif

wikinganimnx6.gif

I have to start over again. But meanwhile, what do you think of the coloring? I have used a pallet of 18 colors including green.

wikingpd9.png