Home 3D Art Showcase & Critiques

Mountain Man

polycounter lvl 12
Offline / Send Message
Zephir62 polycounter lvl 12
He's still a work in progress as you can see, but I'm really liking how he's turning out smile.gif

Edit:

He's finished. Whatcha think?

leanto3.jpg
leanto4.jpg

Replies

• culturedbum
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    culturedbum polycounter lvl 17
    Looks pretty good so far dude, I think it would benefit from light grey shading to provide more depth. Are you using Connan for ref by any chance?
    Anyways cant wait to see the progress...
  • Zephir62
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    [ QUOTE ]
    Looks pretty good so far dude, I think it would benefit from light grey shading to provide more depth. Are you using Connan for ref by any chance?
    Anyways cant wait to see the progress...

[/ QUOTE ]

I showed it to my brother and he said the same thing about Conan :P Funny thing is I've never seen any Conan movies or really seen any Conan stuff in my life. No references at all for this picture, by the way.
  • dejawolf
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    dejawolf polycounter lvl 18
    i think he should have 2 gloves.
  • TheArgyleKid
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    If he's a mountain man he need s a mountain man beard.

-A
  • killingpeople
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    killingpeople polycounter lvl 18
    draw the whole figure.
  • John Warner
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    John Warner polycounter lvl 18
    i disagree with it needing shades of grey. i think if you play with the negative space, and make sure the highlights are correct, it'll pop just fine. i mean.. look at the sin city stuff..

i think some of the shapes are a little un-appealing, and the form is a little odd. you could also distribute the detail so i know where to focus. maybe spend a bit of time considering the proportion of each element and how it weighs against the bits next to it.
  • Zephir62
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    He's about 2/3 finished now.

So far I've spent around 7 hours on him. I'm guessing that's pretty slow - if you guys could give me some speed tips that'd be great. I have only started drawing about a month ago now so I'm assuming I've still got a ton to learn :P
  • Zephir62
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Finished him - updated my first post with the finished piece.
  • indian_boy
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    hey wow, great stuff!

ur not gonna colour him?
  • Tulkamir
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Tulkamir polycounter lvl 18
    Lookin pretty cool man. The face seems a bit off to me though. Seems a bit err... lumpy? And the the eyes seems a bit skewed.

Cool stuff though. smile.gif
  • easterislandnick
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    easterislandnick polycounter lvl 17
    Seriously you need to use reference for a piece like this. Its not cheating! Its getting things like the pose, the cloth and the muscle structure right, the best artists all use refernce of some description. Grab hold of the Graphic Novel Marvels painted by Alex Ross, it has some amazing comparisons of his reference work with finished panels. Your guy does have some ace details, I love the kneepad stolen from a suit of armour and the stiching is great. Also for a piece to be done with such stark contrasts between light and dark you need to have better control of your light source, at the monent some of the shadows such as on his right arm seem confused.
  • Zephir62
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Yeah I'm still getting the hang of everything and nailing it down but that all comes through with practice smile.gif Also, nick, I don't use reference because I feel it is a crutch and it's healthier(for my brain and developing my method and style wink.gif) to use my memory and creativity. The lighting and his face are slightly off, I agree, but instead of spending even more time on him I think it's best to just move on to the next step: Coloring!

leanto5.jpg

I'm pretty much shooting in the dark with this coloring stuff, but I think I'm starting to get the hang of it. All tips are welcome smile.gif
  • easterislandnick
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    easterislandnick polycounter lvl 17
    Thats fair enough, but if you spent a little time studying real life you would get an understanding of how the world works. Take the trousers in your picture, if you spent 5 minutes drawing a mate in a baggy pair of trousers you would have studied the flow of cloth and understand how it works. At the moment your'e guessing, and with no real understanding of how cloth works you're getting it really worng. Just my opinion though.