Home General Discussion

FPS Hand-to-Hand Combat

polycounter lvl 18
Offline / Send Message
SyaPed polycounter lvl 18
Have any games pulled off a decent first-person HtH combat system? I can't really think of any except for Dark Messiah, which I thought was OK. Though I didn't like the way you would
dash in for a strike and the jump back and repeat. Reminded me of my CS knife fights. Not a lot of swordplay. Any other FPS games out there with a good HtH element?

I've always wanted to make one myself, centered around medieval combat specifically. But maybe it's just not very doable, since very few games attempt it and even fewer come up with something decent.

Anyone have any ideas on what would make a good HtH system?

Replies

• warby
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    warby polycounter lvl 18
    cronicles of riddick had ok hand to hand combat
  • gauss
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    gauss polycounter lvl 18
    look no further than Mount & Blade. sure, it doesn't look like much, but this is really one of the very few games i've ever played that's ever lived up to that whole "gameplay matters more than graphics" crap people always like to spew.
    you can play the game in third person, but it's also entirely playable (and very enjoyably so) in first person. it has easily the best medievil combat system i've ever come across.. honestly i just can't recommend it enough. it's independently developed and published over the net, in a rather unique model--you essentially pay for development, with the nice touch that an earlier buy-in gets you a lower price. i bought in at roughly 17 dollars or so, i don't know what it's up to now smile.gif but i bought a copy for myself and for my brother.

so... yeah. go ahead and play the demo already. there's really nothing quite like swooping around on your horse at a full gallop and swatting heads like some demented polo player in full platemail.

http://www.taleworlds.com

edit: oh yeah, and when you get tired of playing the vanilla game, you can download all sorts of very well developed mods like Last Days, which turns M&B into a great LotR game. big and loyal mod commuity for the game and lots of ability to edit content yourself, if you're in the mood smile.gif
  • rolfness
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    rolfness polycounter lvl 18
    Rune the one with the vikings

Rune multiplayer was killer
  • Joseph Silverman
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Joseph Silverman polycounter lvl 17
    Yeah, M&B is awesome. Loved it for ages.

Also Riddick, and the rather obvious Breakdown.
  • flaagan
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    flaagan polycounter lvl 18
    Rune FTW.... excuse me while I beat you to death with your own arm!
  • Penzer
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Penzer polycounter lvl 17
    [ QUOTE ]
    Rune FTW.... excuse me while I beat you to death with your own arm!

[/ QUOTE ]

LOL! For some reason I couldn't remember what Rune was until I saw that comment.
  • Steve Schulze
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Steve Schulze polycounter lvl 18
    Dark Messiah had pretty solid first-person mellee combat.
  • aesir
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    aesir polycounter lvl 18
    DIE BY THE SWORD
  • Sa74n
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Sa74n polycounter lvl 18
    i think dark messiah pulled it off quite well. the biggest issue with fps HtH combat is the perspective though. it often looks awkward that weapons are forced to be present in the viewport. no one would really run around like that. also the arms often look wierd.

besides that i guess its not very easy to do decent controls that feel right. often its just button combos since you cant really do any sword-swinging yourself (you need the mouse to look around). maybe the wii has more potential for fps HtH combat?

generally i prefer most third person games with decent melee combat over a polished fps melee combat game though.
  • Toomas
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Toomas polycounter lvl 18
    Melee is too perception oriented to pull it off well in 1st person. You would have to be able to move your head separate from your arms and such.
    I personally prefere melee combat in 3rd person perspective.

Maybe in the future with eye tracking and such interfaces it can be done very well in 1st person aswell.
  • Michael Knubben
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    RUNE!
    It's not firstperson, but this was the best swordcombat i've ever played. Especially in multiplayer, as Rolf already mentioned.
    When i get my own pc sent over, we should set up a Polycounters Rune-match smile.gif
    Has anyone played Halls of Valhalla? It's a multiplayer-only Rune extension pack that apparantly changed some of the physics, and i'm wondering if it was for the better...
  • gavku
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    gavku polycounter lvl 18
    Battlefield 2....

lay on the ground........stab the foot.
  • SyaPed
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    SyaPed polycounter lvl 18
    Some of the games mentioned look like they have some solid mechanics, Mount & Blade looks interesting. But to me they still all look to...floaty...haha...No real weight to it. Too much hit & run type stuff. I'm obsessed with the look and feel of things.

An idea I thought might work is simplifying the whole thing a bit. Perhaps the only commands are attack, block and a special action. And instead of having complex combos it is up to the timings of these 3 commands that decides the fight. Say an enemy swings his sword at you, if you hit the block command at the right time you could parry his sword and create an opening for an attack command, which depending on how well you time that will succeed or not. Mistimings could result in a failed block or a weak attack. Also a string of well timed or mistimed actions could swing a 'momentum' factor, which might make it harder or easier to time actions, push the enemy back or perhaps effect the characters psychologically. All animations and types of attack/blocks would be decided by the computer.

Short example of what I mean. Player is charged by enemy. Enemy swings at player. Player hits the defend button, but doesn't time it perfectly. The enemy swing is blocked but player is put off balance and is open to be attacked again. Enemy swings again. Player is off balance from the previous attack so it'll be even harder to time this defend perfectly. Player mistimes the defend action and is wounded, falling to one knee. Enemy gets an 'opening' for a special action which he times successfully and delivers a deathblow, lopping off his head.

A very one sided battle laugh.gif But I have a medieval set game in mind so fast brutal fights is what I'm thinking . Also if a fight can end so quickly and decisively, I think it could add a lot of excitement and tension. Especially if a fight does drag on a bit longer, knowing that a string of poor timings can spell doom.

This system would most likely require you to 'lockon' to an enemy character. It could probably get a bit boring though, with the limited player input and 'locking' onto an enemy, *clash, bang, kill*, lock onto new enemy, *clash, bang, kill*.
  • blankslatejoe
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    blankslatejoe polycounter lvl 18
    rune was pretty decent, though it was third person...
    riddick wasn't bad, but it felt a little...'sluggish' and unresponsive.

I'm REALLY suprised no one has mentioned the Jedi Knight games 'Jedi Outcast' or 'Jedi Academy'. I'm usually not a huge star wars fan, but the downright variety in gameplay in those games were great.

Jedi Academy in particular...It was really one of those overlooked gems. Sure, the story was silly and it was using a bit of a dated engine, but not only was the swordplay a lot of fun, both in third and first person mode, but the levels had everything from high-speed train chases to tremors-style-worm-fights to uber rancor 1-on-1s. Each level switched up the FPS gameplay a little to keep things fresh, so you never knew what you'd go into.
  • Joao Sapiro
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Joao Sapiro sublime tool
    agreed with jedi academy ! Psych0 wink.gif ?
  • doc rob
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    doc rob polycounter lvl 19
    Don't forget Monolith's contributions! They have "Condemned: Criminal Origins," and the original "Blood" had a badass pitchfork.

screenshot_5766_thumb300.jpg
  • FunkaDelicDass
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    FunkaDelicDass polycounter lvl 18
    If you have an original xbox, try checking out Breakdown. It's not a great game, but the hand to hand combat mechanics are pretty good. Plus one of the bosses you fight will catch your punches with his hands and counterattack. Looks really cool from the FPS perspective.
  • Joseph Silverman
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    [ QUOTE ]
    but not only was the swordplay a lot of fun, both in third and first person mode

[/ QUOTE ]

Yeah, but, unless JA changed it, you weirdly couldn't do a lot of moves (like medium form flip attack) in fps view. frown.gif
  • cholden
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    cholden polycounter lvl 18
  • TechSmith
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    TechSmith polycounter lvl 18
    ONI by Bungie.
    Freaking great hand to hand. Ancient game though.
  • Tulkamir
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Tulkamir polycounter lvl 18
    I didn't mind Oblivion's. :P
  • jaalto
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    jaalto polycounter lvl 13
    me waits for age of conan
  • Gmanx
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Gmanx polycounter lvl 19
    I'm gonna second Doc Rob's suggestion - "Condemned: Criminal Origins", which was vrey satisfying - especially the special moves like grabbing your opponent by the lapels and stickin' the heed in.

I remember Bioforge (not FPS though) having an awesome combat system based around the numeric keypad.

It has to be Rune FTW though...
  • Bronco
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Bronco polycounter lvl 18
    im at number 3 with "Condemed:-Criminal Origins" that hand-to-hand was the best ive seen in 1st person,not that ive seen much mind.

John
  • sonic
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    sonic polycounter lvl 18
    I can't believe I haven't seen more suggestions for Jedi Knights II!!! Lightsaber battles in that game were one of the best things in any video game ever.

And also, I'll feel like less of a man for this, but who here remembers ESForces for HL1? Didn't Vassago here do some work for them way back in the day? I did some of their animations, and when the 2nd version came out it had some wicked fun melee combat for the time. I can't remember that one guy's name who was super badass at it... I think PCJoe?

Gauss: I downloaded M&B and to be honest I didn't see the appeal, especially not the sword play. Then again, I only played for about 15 minutes. What is unique about it?
  • RazorBladder
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    RazorBladder polycounter lvl 18
    Condemned was such a badass game, and they nailed Melee combat. Especially when it was YOU who was taking a beating, getting smacked around in Condemned felt nasty.
  • Luxury
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Luxury polycounter lvl 18
    Project Offset? I dunno.
  • Asmuel
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Asmuel polycounter lvl 17
    Morrowind...

YEAH FUKKEN RIGHT HAH!!
  • adam
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    adam polycounter lvl 19
    Dark Messiah for sure..
  • Neo_God
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Neo_God polycounter lvl 18
    [ QUOTE ]
    RUNE!
    It's not firstperson, but this was the best swordcombat i've ever played. Especially in multiplayer, as Rolf already mentioned.
    When i get my own pc sent over, we should set up a Polycounters Rune-match smile.gif
    Has anyone played Halls of Valhalla? It's a multiplayer-only Rune extension pack that apparantly changed some of the physics, and i'm wondering if it was for the better...

[/ QUOTE ]

I didn't notice any physic changes in it really, but I like the added player models. But I would totally be up for a rune polycount match sometime. Because that game is definitely in my top 10 games of all time.
  • HonkyPunch
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    HonkyPunch polycounter lvl 18
    How could you cocksuckers not mention breakdown?
    I mean what the fuck?
    Goddamn you people.
    Goddammit.
  • Joseph Silverman
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I mentioned breakdown.
  • hobodactyl
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    hobodactyl polycounter lvl 18
    My friend and I bought Mount and Blade a while back and it's one of the only games I still go back and play because the combat actually involves tactics. Rune FTW though :P