Home 3D Art Showcase & Critiques

Walker design

polycounter lvl 13
Offline / Send Message
wester polycounter lvl 13
This is a design for a walker (i hate saying mech) design i've been working with. Havent spent that much time on it yet, about 3 hours all together.

Not having a computer and it being finals week has really slowed the process down. But i just got a good computer so expect updates regularly.

Tell me what you think so far. It's about my second walker design. How can i make it better? Where can i find good reference

at this point im just blocking out shapes and parts and trying to define them.

cool.gifwalkerconceptcopy.jpg

Replies

• Asherr
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Asherr polycounter lvl 18
    what's it used for? in what environments? troop capacity?
  • wester
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Its a single soldier walker. It's used for infantry, virtually turning one soldier into about 2 or 3.

I was thinking an urban combat vehicle.
  • dejawolf
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    dejawolf polycounter lvl 18
    single soldier walker?
    looks like an at least 2-3 man walker, with all those guns.
  • Vailias
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Vailias polycounter lvl 18
    naah. its like a zentradi battle pod or a wolverine unit from Tiberian sun.
    It reminds me of a flea. But its a pretty cool design. Looks well armored and fairly mobile.
  • katana
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    katana polycounter lvl 14
    Almost looks like a General Greivous head with legs. Looks urban, should be a good one.
  • wester
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    [ QUOTE ]
    single soldier walker?
    looks like an at least 2-3 man walker, with all those guns.

[/ QUOTE ]

i see it as having more than one monitor inside, the front guns covering his front, the top from above...etc.

he's only got two sets, they dont fire independantly....the front set fire simultaneously and the top one the same.
  • wester
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    [ QUOTE ]
    naah. its like a zentradi battle pod or a wolverine unit from Tiberian sun.
    It reminds me of a flea. But its a pretty cool design. Looks well armored and fairly mobile.

[/ QUOTE ]

funny you should say that
    that's what i was going to make it's alias.

ya knwo like warthog, scorpion from halo.
  • JordanW
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    JordanW polycounter lvl 19
    Cool looking design, I think it's kind of muddy right now in sense of scale. Because of the size of the details and such it doesn't look like it would be much bigger than a human. I think the hole on the front is kind of reading like one of the short slots you would see in the front of a WW2 apc or something.

Maybe give it some lenses or cameras, and definatly refine it with some seams and bolts to help give some visual clues as to how big this is. It has an interesting overall shape just detail it out smile.gif

Definitely look up some reference of mechanical joints, machinery, and armored panels to see how things should 'fit'.
  • Crylar
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Crylar polycounter lvl 18
    Hay, cool mechs - Moahahaa, see that, see what I did, yeah, that's how evil I am, yeah, mmhmm.

But really, I like design. if I was to try to be of any help I would say maybe the feet could be more robust, and maybe more armor on legs and feet.
  • newman3d
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    newman3d polycounter lvl 17
    I like the silhouettes better than the larger design.
    Juat My 2 cents.

Nice Mech... er walker!
  • wester
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    [ QUOTE ]
    I like the silhouettes better than the larger design.
    Juat My 2 cents.

Nice Mech... er walker!

[/ QUOTE ]

yeah, the sillhouettes (sp? im retarded tonight) were more of a near future design.
    the final design is more of a distant future.
    im goign to model both though, a distand and then a near future WALKER
    laugh.gif
  • dom
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    dom polycounter lvl 18
    Walkers don't always need to have chicken legs , you can also give it more human like legs (so the calves bend backwards instead of forward) Experiment around.
  • dejawolf
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    dejawolf polycounter lvl 18
    hmm, if you're using monitors, there should be cameras.
    you could probably put a circular ocular inbetween the guns,
    and call it a day.
    the reason i say it seems like a multi-man walker, is because theres no single-man vehicle today in service.
    theres a driver, gunner, and TC minimum.
    the S-tank had a driver-gunner, and a TC, who could take over driver-gunner duties if neccesary.
    TC has a hatch in the roof where he can stick his head out,
    and he's the guy who keeps track of where the vehicle is in the world.
    gunner is always looking through the optics and moving the turret and guns, and the driver drives the vehicle.

well, this is more engineer critique than purely artistical.
    US army is nowadays trying to size down vehicles to only be crewed by 2 men, although the program is on shaky ground to say the least.
  • Sage
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Sage polycounter lvl 19
    I suggest you do a few quick studies of the thumbnails that have the strongest silhouette. Something quick and keep it lose before you commit to any design. Here is an example of what I mean. Quick paint over the thumbnail I liked the best.

w_c.jpg

Alex
  • Joao Sapiro
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Joao Sapiro sublime tool
    detail for the sake of detail usually make a model too busy ( like the transformers ) , smooth shapes that actually make sense can make up for random detail a lot of time smile.gif
  • zenarion
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    zenarion polycounter lvl 17
    Agreed with Johny here. Slapping on too much detail takes away the focus from the overall shape of the model, as if you were covering it with camouflage paint. Detail should be incorporated into the overall "silhuette" not FUBAR it beyond recognition.
  • wester
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    REDO!!!

hah
    I redid and rethought the whole idea. It's a walker for one person, so i kept saying that as i was making it, one person one person.
    So i thought, make it look like it wouldnt be that big.
    then i said, make the person sit inside of it as if they would a motorcycle.

anyways
    give it to me

btw
    im concepting this so i can model and probably animate it. laugh.gif
    walkercopy.jpg