Home Contests & Challenges Archives

#35 - E.S.S - Vahl

polycounter lvl 18
Offline / Send Message
vahl polycounter lvl 18
Since that was the deal, I'm following adam in there.

omg my true face is unveiled to the world !!! ohnoes I'm making enviros!!!

question !!! are we allowed to use normalmaps as usual (1 1024 for each pass ?) I know this question is coming back every comp, maybe we need something more clear to define that...

6k may be a bit low for nextgen sexyness tho...

Replies

• adam
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    adam polycounter lvl 19
    mwuahaha the great Vince!

I'm sure we can do whats needed, each pass being 1024x1024.

6k @ 1024x1024 resolution seems fine. Get creative Frencho!

PS: Your profiles location is wrong wink.gif
  • Joshua Stubbles
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Joshua Stubbles polycounter lvl 19
    You can't make a decent looking race track with 6000 tris! :P
    Well you can, but it will be...errm, chunky on the turns.
  • vahl
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    vahl polycounter lvl 18
    ok, so I'd like to make a skatepark in a school of some sort, I started by a few modular pieces because I'm uberlazy...more to come tomorrow, maybe...or not HAR !!

skateparkmod01.jpg
  • vahl
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    vahl polycounter lvl 18
    skateparkwip3.jpg

update

the idea is a tony hawk like park, the setting is in some kind of elementary school, I still have to add a few things especially on the handball court, and create the main school building, so far I'm at 4750 tris, so plenty of room left, plus I can optimize some stuff

extra cuts in some meshes are for the trim normals/occlusion passes, I'll probably be using roboblitz for that.

everything is modular, of course
  • Joao Sapiro
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Joao Sapiro sublime tool
    textures !11 Also, btw there is a skating park here in MAdrid that has some interesting stuff, if you want i can take some pics on my walks ?
  • vahl
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    vahl polycounter lvl 18
    sure man, that would be awesome !! smile.gif
  • Emil Mujanovic
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Emil Mujanovic polycounter lvl 18
    Great stuff vahl, this is coming along great. The only issue that really stands out for me are the stairs being so close to the bowls. I can just see someone trying to do some stairs or rails, then just bailing into the bowl smile.gif
    Other than that, great start and looking forward to seeing this completely fleshed out.

-caseyjones
  • Joshua Stubbles
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Joshua Stubbles polycounter lvl 19
    Swanky start, Vahl. Looks pretty damn slick so far.
  • IronHawk
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    IronHawk polycounter lvl 10
    cool start. Casey is right about the placement of the stairs and the runout into the bowls. Though it doesn't really matter in a game like Tony Hawk where you can just pop an ollie in with 0 setup time.

Trannies look really steep even for game though like they start out flat and then kick up fast. Usually tranies are a section of a circle and the steepness is a variation of the circles radius. Not saying they weren't modeled that way but they do look a bit off.

here is a an quick article on ramp transitions.

Trannies

Since this is a elementary school though it would make sense for the trannies to not be perfect like a park. They would look cool done up in brick with some concete edges on top. Like planters in a park.

I remember some old vid with a spot in NY where these guys were skating up the banks and over park benches embedded in the walls. Looked sick.

Layout is pretty sweet overall. Really like the smaller bowl that feature in the middle looks like a blast.
  • vahl
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    vahl polycounter lvl 18
    thanks for the input guys !

the layout is still very WIP, it actually already changed a lot since that screenshot, the bigger bowl/pool was just put there for the screengrab and since everything is modular, it's very easy to change.
    the ramps are exactly like your link IronHawk, the first shot was badly scaled and I fixed that when I figured it out tongue.gif

the idea was to make a tony hawk like park, so more an old elementary school converted into a skate park, but i will definitely think about it, I also want to integrate the primary school assets into the layout itself (that's actually what i'm working on right now tongue.gif) more to come then !!!
  • Byterunner
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Looking pretty good, vahl. Something to remember about elementary schools that I was reminded of with a recent visit to one; lots of things are half the size. I was walking through the hallway and the drinking fountains came up to about my knees when I realized it. So if you're going to be putting any kind of tables or benches or whatnot in there, just think about that.

Also, the slashes in your signature are backward, making the link to your website broken.
  • IronHawk
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    IronHawk polycounter lvl 10
    Thats awesome Vahl.

As someone that has skated several schools in my life I'm really looking forward to this! Wish I had time to do a proper entry but time wont permit me at this time. Going to still do up my concept though. smile.gif
  • vahl
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    vahl polycounter lvl 18
    won't finish in time, it's sad but deadlines at work are quite tough these days, I'll finish it later on, for sure, though, I really enjoy that project