Home 3D Art Showcase & Critiques

Samus Aran WIP

polycounter lvl 18
Offline / Send Message
Slainean polycounter lvl 18
spacegirlwip7vo1.jpg
spacegirlwip8gb4.jpg

Currently < 11k triangles

I think I'm ready for some C&C on this one. This was supposed to be a different scifi model, so it's actually a failed attempt at an original character. I've never done anything in a manga style before, so either way this should be good lesson for me.

My plan is to make Samus beat-up like she just finished a mission. Just ignore the gun for now. smile.gif

I was inspired primarily by this Metroid Prime fanart, so if anyone knows who did this piece, that'd be great.

11282782658676xkoa4.th.jpg

Replies

• venain
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    venain polycounter lvl 12
    Heya Slainean. Looking really nice so far, the thing that jumps out me most is her left hand looks quite small. Also I think there is probably a way to make her legs integrate into her boots better, right now it looks less worked out then the rest of the model. Looking forward to seeing more!
  • Zephir62
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Zephir62 polycounter lvl 12
    Shoulder balls seem a little too big, and the knee things should be a bit wider. The arm armor should also be a lot bigger - that or her arms underneath must be tooth picks. The side-guards on her thighs are missing smile.gif

Personally I think the feet look great! Everything else seems as though it still needs some loving.
  • venain
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    venain polycounter lvl 12
    I meant the area around the back of the knee connecting to the lowerleg/boot structure, the boot around the foot looks good:)
  • odium
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    odium polycounter lvl 18
    This WIP model is already better than the actual game model. Great going. I've always had a problem with Metroid. The games have been great but my work the art direction at times is horrid, models mostly. Samus looks like a blob of nothing. Its mostly the texture work however...

Great work, I look forward to seeing more smile.gif

This models looking good, damn good. But we all know its the helmet that will make or break the model wink.gif
  • Slainean
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    venain - I tried to keep her hand in proportion with her face since they are both exposed areas, but unfortunately nothing about Samus really makes sense proportionally. Duely noted. I will definitely address the knee->boot connection, it's merely temporary.

Zephir62 - I'm not sure what you mean about the thigh guards? They're there, unless you meant something else. However, I insist on keeping the shoulder balls huge! It looks less like Samus everytime I scale them down, hehe.

odium - Yeah, I've noticed that Samus's textures are kinda weak in the MP games, but it's probably a memory limitation thing. I was on the fence about doing a helmet but on second thought it'd be too fun not to do. I think I'll make the helmet and gun designs different than the usual Samus look.

Thanks dudes, will keep updating.
  • Xenobond
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Xenobond polycounter lvl 18
    Hey Slainean, looking pretty good so far. The waist area looks a bit odd. I remember first seeing that piece of art at this guys site- http://samael.cool.ne.jp/ - Sousuke Koyama
    All in japanese though, so finding your way around can be tricky.

He's got a couple other drawings of the ol gal up there-
    http://samael.cool.ne.jp/top/oldsamus%2072dpi.jpg
    http://samael.cool.ne.jp/gallery/p_samus.jpg
    http://samael.cool.ne.jp/gallery/fusion.jpg
  • Ghostscape
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Ghostscape polycounter lvl 13
    Is this supposed to be the game model or something you're baking from?

Too many polygons are going to inset, minor details (like the shoulder ball cuts) that should be textured on.

It looks good for the most part but right now it's got not enough going on for a high poly model but too much waste for a solid in-game model.
  • Slainean
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Xenobond - Thanks a lot for the link, much appreciated. He's got a lot of cool pieces up there. I kinda wish I had seen the muscular Samus earlier since that would have been awesome to make, too. Argh.

Ghostscape - I won't be using any normal maps for this one. I know that's pretty much the way to go nowadays, but I don't want that look for this model. I'm sorta following my imaginary specs for Metroid Prime 3 Samus (which are probably really similar to MP2 and MP1). If you look at screens you'll notice the shoulder insets are also modelled in. I hope to stay around 10k tris optimized, which I don't think is too unreasonable.

Here's an early view of the helmet, which I'm not totally happy with just yet.

spacegirlwip9kq0.jpg
    spacegirlwip10zc1.jpg
  • man_o_mule
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    man_o_mule polycounter lvl 18
    I love the feet. youve done a pretty damn good job on the edgeflow of the head. something i always have a horrible time with.

helmet needs to be wider. i think the shoulders need to be bigger too, but that's just cause i love the metroid prime model. got a poster of it up on my wall right now.

the main thing that is bothering me about the model is that the suit seems too skin tight in your version. espiecially in the forearm, knees and hips.

good job overall though. much better than anything i've made.
  • culturedbum
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    culturedbum polycounter lvl 17
    Hey Slainean its looking pretty good. Only thing that bothers me besides the others critiques is her head, I think its a little long and gives her a manly appearance.
    heres what I mean....
    spacegirlwip9kq0.jpg
    Otherwise it looks great, are you gonna stick with the metroid color palette?
  • roolie
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    10k tris is way 2 much for any game character model even for next gen.(base mesh not including accessories)
  • _Shimmer
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    _Shimmer polycounter lvl 18
    [ QUOTE ]
    10k tris is way 2 much for any game character model even for next gen.(base mesh not including accessories)

[/ QUOTE ]

Not necessarily for a main character. On console.
  • odium
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    odium polycounter lvl 18
    [ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

When was the last time you played a game...? Gears is like 2k tris just for the head and a 2048x2048 texture...
  • Xenobond
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Xenobond polycounter lvl 18
    [ QUOTE ]
    [ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

When was the last time you played a game...? Gears is like 2k tris just for the head and a 2048x2048 texture...

[/ QUOTE ]

You seriously think that they don't swap that in/out for their cutscenes?!? hahaa.
  • arshlevon
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    arshlevon polycounter lvl 18
    [ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

yeah not anymore.. at work we dont even refer to tris when making ingame models anymore, just quads, and characters in our game are 7 to 15 thousand quads.. so thats 14 to 30 thousand tris. geometry isnt really a factor in breaking frame on ps3, i dont know as much about 360 or current pc hardware. but i feel like i always have way more than i need, its more about texture space and shader usage.

anayway.. model looks good.. lets see some textures.
  • roolie
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    haha, i stand corrected. I guess im just used to using 6 or 7 k tris for characters. Thats what people tell me to use at school, thats what employers tend to say(or at least the ones I talk to), and thats what every competition in charater modeling for games sets as the tri count.
  • Ghostscape
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    [ QUOTE ]
    haha, i stand corrected. I guess im just used to using 6 or 7 k tris for characters. Thats what people tell me to use at school, thats what employers tend to say(or at least the ones I talk to), and thats what every competition in charater modeling for games sets as the tri count.

[/ QUOTE ]

Tri count for characters varies wildly based on what type of game it is, keep in mind. I don't know what Arsh is working on but look at Gears of War versus GTA4 or Saints Row screens and you'll see a giant difference.

To say a certain triangle count is a hard rule is wrong, but there are wasteful uses of triangles and efficient uses of triangles. I still think there are a lot of wasted areas here but thats because I'd normal map a character like this instead of just painting a diffuse.
  • Jesse Moody
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Jesse Moody polycounter lvl 17
    [ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Not to echo what everyone else said but with the 360 and PS3 now polycounts really aren't the issue. It's texture memory and how much space all the shaders will take up. I'm more likely to be able to get an extra 500-800 tris added to my budget on stuff than more texture space with the work I'm doing.
  • Slainean
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Sorry about the delay, I was on vacation for a few days. Here is an awkward chibi Samus to make up for it:

spacegirlwip11ya7.jpg

culturedbum - I made some adjustments to her head. Her proportions are not realistic by any means, but I think that helped. For colors, I'll probably use the normal red/yellow/green for recognizability.

I did some optimizing and now Samus is down to ~9100 triangles with helmet and hair. I also modelled a bit of damage in.

spacegirlwip12qw9.jpg

I think the gun is pretty blah, but I hope I can make up for it with the texture. I scrapped like 3 different designs before settling for this one. The other ones looked too much like extreme leaf blowers.

As for the triangle debate, Leon's mesh in RE4 was 10k tris, so I had that number in mind when I started. Next update will be texture shots (soon!).
  • Ott
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Ott polycounter lvl 13
    Another thing you would have to consider as far as the triangle debate goes, the actual ingame model with helmet wouldn't need to have all of the same facial geometry as the full "cutscene" character. Pretty much any details around the ears, back of the head, neck...or any other fine details and joints could be cut down for the "ingame" version.

A handful of edge loops could be taken out here and there and you could still probably shave another 1000 tris easily, particularly if you were going to be working for online play or had to downrez for PSP or something along those lines.

It's still pretty pimp though. I might like to see a little more armor details that show how it might come apart. You could probably shave a lot of stuff off of the ears and lips and add more detail in the armor rather than parts of her face that we might not see as much.

All in all, good stuff.
  • Spacey
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Spacey polycounter lvl 18
    Oh gawd, Chibi Samus <3. Now I want a Metroid Powered-Up game!

She's coming along nicely. I really like your take on the whole head and how the helmet is detacted even more from the armor. Some areas are looking a little tight like in pelvis/waist/thigh area. It's hard to say though, because I like your slimmed down version, just those areas are looking a bit thin. Also, it'd be cool to add geo so the gun can open up and change slightly depending on the ammo shot. Like the SNES sprite or in the Prime games.
  • culturedbum
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    culturedbum polycounter lvl 17
    Hey dude it looks great so far, the optimizing does wonders. I would say still watch out for those long skinny tris, they can have some weird effects even with a smoothing group applied. looking awesome.
  • Slainean
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I've run into a bit of a roadbump... I just remembered that I can't paint faces for shit. The last character head I painted was about two years ago and sucked, so I'm taking my sweet, sweet time to get this one right. The suit will be much easier.

spacegirlwip14th3.jpg

I kinda made a goof with the eyes. The opening in the corners is too big. Maybe its not too late to move the verts a little bit.

Anyway, I want to keep her pale looking - like a person who wears an exoskeleton and spends most of her days chillin' in space.
  • SHEPEIRO
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    SHEPEIRO polycounter lvl 17
    sheslooking great..

on the topic of stats and stuff, in my experience, 360 is better at pushing polies than ps3, memory is much more of an problem, but for this (pressuming its a portfolio peice) just say its for a cutscene.. and go high
  • EarthQuake
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    the long head head is really hurting this peice imo, texture is paitned really well, but she needs some more redish/pinkish tones in the eyes, right now they look really unatural. Eyes just seem to be too large/opened too wide as well to me. also jaw is to angled, making her face look too triangular. some more color variation would be good too, heres a paintover. hope this helps
    samus_fix.jpg
  • ElysiumGX
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    ElysiumGX polycounter lvl 18
    the eyes don't appear natural or even attractive. work on that nose. take a few steps back and make her attractive. the suit doesn't appear as if it's covering a proper female form, and has a stiff posture. almost as if her knees are inverted and she has no spine/ass/hips/feminine attributes. the mesh is well designed tho. maybe a few too many polies.
  • Uly
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Uly polycounter lvl 15
    Highlights on the eye are being mirrored, makes it look weird. Also, I'd move the strong highlight out of the center of the eye, it just looks strange.
  • Marine
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Marine polycounter lvl 18
    bring her upper eyelid down, she looks shocked
  • Slainean
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    SLOWLY BUT SURELY. Appreciate the feedback, guys. smile.gif

SHEPEIRO - Yes it is a portfolio piece, and yes, "cutscene-ready" is a great excuse for my high poly budget.

EarthQuake - I squashed her face down some, but it may be hard to tell because its a different angle. I changed the eyes the most. I think she looks a little frog-like in your paintover but I took most of your advice and added some warm hues. I still want to keeping her relatively pallid, though.

ElysiumGX - I changed the proportions since the original post, so it should be clear it isn't skin tight once you see her without her helmet. As for feminine attributes, Samus's suit has always been masculine looking, hence the "surprise" once you find out it's a woman under the helmet. I think I addressed the face issues as best I could.

Uly - Almost every eye ref I've looked at has a specular in the center of the eye, so I'm surprised you said that. Better or worse?

Marine - Done.

Nearly done with the face.. just need to paint the ears. I just started the hair, so I'd appreciate any Protips you have for painting good hair textures. I made quite a few mistakes with the hair, too, but I'm just gonna roll with it.

spacegirlwip15bl2.jpg

I think she sorta resembles Kate Winslet. Yay or nay?
  • EarthQuake
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Looking quite a bit better now, still looks a bit long-faced but much nicer, maybe her cheeks could be a little fuller. You should flip the uvs on one of her eyes so they dont have the mirrored look too btw, then you can get away with putting whatever highlight there you like.
  • The Umbrella Man
    Personally I have to agree with the others here in that her face is too long and thin, the long face may work if you make it overall wider, but right now it's just distracting from the great texture work you've done so far.
  • Uly
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Uly polycounter lvl 15
    [ QUOTE ]

Uly - Almost every eye ref I've looked at has a specular in the center of the eye, so I'm surprised you said that. Better or worse?

[/ QUOTE ]
    Not enough time to give any general comments on the model, but I can explain the specular in the center of the eye. It's the flash of the camera. : ) It looks goofy in almost any other situation.
  • Slainean
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Uly - You're absolutely right, but alot of game models I have looked at also have that same specular, heh. smile.gif

spacegirlwip21zl0.jpg

Ok, the texture is looking pretty blah right now. I'm trying to get the chest damage right. It had better start coming together soon because I'm starting to lose interest..! I'll try to step it up a bit.

And here is an old/new render of the face. I stopped working on it to focus on the body. I am going to try to repaint the hair because I didn't like results I was getting.
    spacegirlwip17wb0.jpg
  • Wells
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Wells polycounter lvl 18
    neck looks way too long in the armored picture.

scar on her forehead looks more like a chickenpox scar than what I imagine you were going for. remember, scar tissue is raised, it doesn't heal as little trenches in the skin. Her eye areas could stand to be brought down a little, I think...
  • indian_boy
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    yeah the neck is a bit too high. bring it so that [at the sides of the head] only a hint of the grey can be seen. that might look better.
    the cuts on the forehead look like dents, sorty for the harshness. do what Sectaurs said and then the face'll look better.

good work though. i like it! loking forward to seeing more progress!
  • Slainean
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I have an old indented scar on my cheek in the same shape and place as Samus's cut, so I believe its possible smile.gif. Don't remember how I got it, though. Anyway I'll just invert it if it looks too unnatural.

I'll try bringing the neck down, thanks.
  • Ghostscape
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    [ QUOTE ]
    neck looks way too long in the armored picture.

scar on her forehead looks more like a chickenpox scar than what I imagine you were going for. remember, scar tissue is raised, it doesn't heal as little trenches in the skin. Her eye areas could stand to be brought down a little, I think...

[/ QUOTE ]
    I've got one that goes through my eyebrow that looks very similar to that (split my head open when I was 2). It doesn't puff out at all. The only time it pops out is if I crinkle my eyebrow and then it sort've folds out.

It isn't quite as wide as Samus' is, and I think the lighting is a little too strong, but its very possible to have a scar like that. Scar tissue doesn't always puff out, thats only when there is a thin, deep gash taking out chunks of flesh (like those scarification cutting tools that look like clay scuplting tools... yuck). for a simple straightforward cut or split it is possible to have a scar like Samus'.
  • Wells
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Wells polycounter lvl 18
    Hm. interesting.

I stand corrected smile.gif
  • dejawolf
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    dejawolf polycounter lvl 18
    yeah i got an indented scar as well on my forehead.
  • Ghostscape
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    [ QUOTE ]
    yeah i got an indented scar as well on my forehead.

[/ QUOTE ]

Facial Scar PCounters reprezentin' in da thread.
  • Joseph Silverman
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Joseph Silverman polycounter lvl 17
    Same. I imagine it's 'cause scar tissue doesn't deform as well as the surrounding skin, right? So a crease/indentation would form, considering how much your brow deforms? (/worstguessever)
  • hawken
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    hawken polycounter lvl 19
    why would she have a permanent cut to her face?
  • Slainean
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I thought it would be more interesting to do a beat-up, just-killed-mother-brain-and-escaped-the-exploding-planet version instead of a clean one. Wanna fight about it?

Although, once I finish I could hammer together a clean version in a couple minutes by just mirroring stuff.
  • Wells
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Wells polycounter lvl 18
    Is her helmet going to be smashed in?

Or did she foolishly take it off during her giant battle?

Also - facial scar pcounters suck balls. Unless you have big keloid manly scars. tongue.gif