Home General Discussion

RANT: Prices on STEAM for old games

polycounter lvl 18
Offline / Send Message
JKMakowka polycounter lvl 18
So I finally caved in and registered a STEAM account...

The Red Orchestra deal (just 15 bucks) was just too sweet to miss wink.gif And I really plan on buying TeamFortress 2.

But what's up with the other prices for games on STEAM???

I do think that online distributed games should be cheaper anyways, but I do understand that publishers do not want that for new games, and I have come to accept that.

But what's up with the older games on Steam? Most of them seem about triple or double the price I have seen them in a regular store already!
Don't they want to sell them??? Really what kind of crap is that?

Replies

• blankslatejoe
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    blankslatejoe polycounter lvl 19
    i noticed that too-- lots of games that I can order for 8.99 (new, not used) on amazon cost 19.99 on steam--these are 3, 4 year old games sometimes. The pricing for steam doesn't really encourage you to take a chance on an older game that you've heard was 'decent-but-not-awesome'.
  • gauss
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    gauss polycounter lvl 18
    maybe, maybe not. for me, i think the slightly higher costs on some things are offset by being able to rest easy in the fact that once i buy a game off Steam, it's mine forever (or as long as Steam is online, rather) and i don't have to worry about losing a disc or pulling it out of a giant pile of old games when i want to play it. i can get it all over the internet, and then uninstall the game just as quickly because i can re-download the copy when i'd like. those are conveniences i'm happy to pay for.
  • poopinmymouth
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    poopinmymouth polycounter lvl 19
    What Gauss said, PLUS! a lot of the games have demos. So it's nice to download a demo first over steam, and then make your purchase decision based on that.

poop.gif
  • CheapAlert
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    CheapAlert polycounter lvl 18
    [ QUOTE ]
    . those are conveniences i'm happy to pay for.

[/ QUOTE ]

And then when Valve closes its doors in the future, it's just a huge technology trap.
  • gauss
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    gauss polycounter lvl 18
    yep, that's what you gamble with. but still more convenient than trying to dig out some cd from the labyrinth of old games in my house. if i can't find the CD at all, it's as good as lost.
    and given the robustness of steam now as a platform, here's hoping that when Valve does shut down, i won't be so backward looking as wanting to play all these old games from the 2000s. how will i explain to my children the lack of 4-D gravitronic force feedback? laugh.gif
  • hawken
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    hawken polycounter lvl 19
    virtual virtual skeetball
  • Xenobond
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Xenobond polycounter lvl 18
    If you're really that paranoid about the impending doom of Steam, you can just backup that gamedata to a CD.
  • blankslatejoe
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    blankslatejoe polycounter lvl 19
    [ QUOTE ]
    but still more convenient than trying to dig out some cd from the labyrinth of old games in my house. if i can't find the CD at all, it's as good as lost.

[/ QUOTE ]

yeah--that's kiiiinda nice...but i like to have something physical in my hands. Some proof of 'this is mine!'. A box, a cd, a manual, a cool map. It's similar to my problem with audible.com and other similar services. It costs less for them to manufacture it, and we do GET less (maybe not less of a game, but less of a cost-per-unit-package, yes) so...why don't the prices carry over? Particularly for older games that no one cares about.

I understand the added costs of having a distribution system up and running nonstop--but I don't think they'd be doing it if it were more expensive then traditional publishing.
  • gauss
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    gauss polycounter lvl 18
    so wait, going off to the store instead of online download is worth it for the tiny box and nonexistent manual? smile.gif
    i'm behind your for games made 10 years+ ago about this issue.. the golden age of lovingly printed and illustrated manuals, possibly with some extra backstory for those inclined, or maybe a cloth map if you were buying an Ultima game... that was a magic time. the gaming equivalent of the LP records and their gigantic sleeves brimming with colorful art... but whereas with CDs we still get plenty of value-added joy out of having a physical disc and liner notes etc., i really don't think it holds true for games anymore. yes, i do enjoy picking up games at the store, but once i've installed the game (and installed the no-cd fix), i scarcely ever see the box or CD again unless i reinstall the game. i mean come on, the boxes are tiny and the manuals are purely vestigial these days.

ok all joking aside actually i think it's an interesting issue , because as with music CDs, there is no replacing physical media ever. i listen to most of my music digitally, but i also buy the albums physically because as you said, there's something nice about having it in their hands. especially when some bands/artists put together such wonderful packaging and art.
    so if game publishers want to keep the consumers buying little boxes, they need to keep up with the value-adds. basically, collector's editions. like the upcoming bag+safety deposit tin/etc. with the deluxe GTA IV, which i think is genius. basic tiny game box with paper sleeve dvd? i'll definitely buy over Steam or likewise and save myself the trip. but once you actually offer something worthwhile, physically (oh, the collector's tins!), then you're back in business.