Home Technical Talk

High to Low Poly Workflow?

polycounter lvl 18
Offline / Send Message
hobodactyl polycounter lvl 18
Hey everyone, I am having trouble figuring out how I should make a normal map for a character; it seems like there are so many different ways; should I make a high-poly and then build the low-poly around it, or make a low-poly and build the high-poly to fit it?

I have usually been making a low-poly and trying to build a high-poly from that but I usually have problems with the normal map and there are areas in the high-poly that don't subdivide enough it seems.

Also, what is the workflow for working on individual pieces of the high poly and getting them all to fit together with the low-poly? Sorry this is a little convuluted, but it's pretty late and I'm having trouble finding anything too useful :P This is more of where I'm having problems. I'll get a nice-looking low-poly done, but then I sort of get stuck trying to figure out how to make a good normal map for it, so maybe I'm just doing it the wrong way.

I've read a lot of tutorials but I guess I'd just like to hear some quick run-downs of how exactly some of you go about it.

Replies

• Xaltar
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Xaltar polycounter lvl 17
    I had the same issue with the marine model I am working on atm, I started out trying to make the highpoly with the intention of building a lowpoly around it once I was done but I ended up with a mess (largely due to my lack of experience) so then I approached it from the other side and built the low poly first and that didn't work too well for me either (same issue you have with some areas not dense enough). In the end I built a model specificly as a base for the highpoly with an even poly distribution so I don't encounter any detailing issues. Then once the highpoly is built I will optimize my highpoly base (manualy) to remove all the extra loops and cuts and shape it closer to the highpoly then unwrap and bake my normals. Also I found that meshsmooth or turbosmoothing before you import to mudbox or Zbrush helps a lot. So far its working pretty well for me and I am having no issues other than my being a noob. Hope this helps. Oh and its also useful to build the highpoly base in segments so you can export one part at a time into your sculpting app. I have a crappy system so for me this is a vital step.

If I am doing this all wrong could someone share the correct way?
  • animatr
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    animatr polycounter lvl 18
    haha. awesome.
  • dom
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    dom polycounter lvl 18
    hahhaa.

I start out with a mid res model, with geometry that can be easily worked with to make a lowpoly version and at the same time has enough resolution to do hi-res stuff. Unwrap this med res version, sculpt it, i have all sub d levels in tact with uvs. nothing to worry about, if needed, i just realigned by lowpoly mesh as and when..
  • poopinmymouth
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    poopinmymouth polycounter lvl 19
    I love you Per. The "cut myself a little" option had me in stitches. :-)

poop.gif
  • Joao Sapiro
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Joao Sapiro sublime tool
    LMAO PER ! that + avatar = win
  • seforin
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    seforin polycounter lvl 17
    I put cut myself, does that mean I fail test?

But I "R" Good Character modeler!!11!one!
  • Ruz
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Ruz polycount lvl 666
    well why piss aorund trying to match a low poly model to a high poly. just build your low poly model in a sensible zbrush friendly way, finalise you uv latout, export to zbrush, do your sculpting stuff, do your normal map creation in zbrush, export the lowest level back to max and use this as your final model.
  • MoP
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    MoP polycounter lvl 18
    Bear in mind that you can't necessarily do everything in ZBrush, Ruz smile.gif

I much prefer finalising the highpoly first before worrying about the lowpoly, it gives you more scope for ad-libbing like Per mentioned.
  • Panupat
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Panupat polycounter lvl 15
    I like your comparison o_O;
    they're like deer caught in headlights. Seized by absolute terror, unable to make any rational decision.
  • Ghostscape
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Ghostscape polycounter lvl 13
    Awesome Per.

except do polycounters really have ex-girlfriends? That would infer they had girlfriends to begin with, which is hard when you spend every waking moment in front of 3dsMax
  • IronHawk
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    IronHawk polycounter lvl 10
    Drunk dials to girls that gave up some pity sex does count I'm pretty sure. If not I guess I'll just go cut myself a little.

LOL
  • Ruz
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Ruz polycount lvl 666
    well i think for speed at work its kind of essential to most of it in zbrush from a light evenly divided mesh in 3dsmax
    suppose I am thinking mainly of naked humans/organic stuff here though.
  • EarthQuake
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    How dare you think to post something as offensive as this, you fucking norweiganinian. THIS IS AN OUTRAGE AND YOU WILL BE BANNED IMMEDATELY AFTER I FINISH CUTTING MYSELF!!!
  • hobodactyl
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I actually have tried this several times and I get mixed results, that's why I was asking for help. It seems like even some of the professionals in here still do some steps differently so that's why I was asking.
  • fritz
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    fritz polycounter lvl 18
    goddamn it....per's pretty funny.
  • rooster
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    rooster mod
    I voted twice! once for each wrist
  • Vredesbyrd
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    hobodactyl

Things that are important when baking a normal , it reduces agony.
    1° Reset the xform to elimate artifacts during the bake.
    2° Make sure the lowres silhouette covers most of your hires mesh , otherwise u get hard edges.
    3° Assign smoothing groups that match the material ID´s.
    4° don´t collapse modifiers after the bake , it contains construction history and can be copied and pasted.
  • EarthQuake
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    [ QUOTE ]
    hobodactyl

Things that are important when baking a normal , it reduces agony.
    1° Reset the xform to elimate artifacts during the bake.
    2° Make sure the lowres silhouette covers most of your hires mesh , otherwise u get hard edges.
    3° Assign smoothing groups that match the material ID´s.
    4° don´t collapse modifiers after the bake , it contains construction history and can be copied and pasted.

[/ QUOTE ]

#2... Hard edges.... like smoothing errors? Wha? That dosent even begin to make any sense whatsoever. Have you ever actually seen this or are you just quoting what someone told you? Show some examples if this is actually a problem you've had(in reality). If you mean its cutting out things that extend past your highres, then you probablly need to tweak your cage/ray distance settings.

Also a couple more rules to add:
    1. Make sure all your edges face left to right, not right to left, or else you get hard edges.
    2. Make sure your the sharp end of the triangles point south-west (unless you're in australia)
  • fritz
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    fritz polycounter lvl 18
    hahaha.

please forgive them hobodactyl.

just keep punchin' away at and do a lot of tutorials...experiment lots.
  • hobodactyl
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Yeah I understand it's annoying when people just ask general questions, but at 3 in the morning it seems to make sense :P I think I figured out the problem I was having.
  • Panupat
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Panupat polycounter lvl 15
    ask polycounters for help = win!
  • rooster
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    rooster mod
    you're missing the point! Clearly, biting sarcasm is the best way to make a low poly cage
  • coldwolf
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    coldwolf polycounter lvl 18
    I never really understood why some threads that started with such questions ended up as fantastic revelations of workflows and techniques, while other similar threads end up like this one.

Weirdos.
  • snap.crackle.pop
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    snap.crackle.pop polycounter lvl 18
    Funny i asked the very same question a few weeks ago (like 3 months ago) now and the same per128 came in to derail my thread oh! .. lesson learned go over cgtalk.com where per128 can't access. smile.gif

I guess if i was you i would go for the highpoly and save my file while modeling, this way you can re-access the lowerpoly version as you go for a N.M (99.9 % of people do that) but the best thing to do my friend is to experiment, stop thinking about it and start learning what a N.Map is all about. There is no explanation or example more important than playing with your penis, sorry i mean the tools.

Those are a few thread that helped me over time.

http://www.poopinmymouth.com/tutorial/normal_workflow.htm
    http://www.cgchat.com/forum/showthread.php?t=26551
    http://boards.polycount.net/showflat.php...true#Post201559
    http://boards.polycount.net/showflat.php...true#Post198536
    http://boards.polycount.net/showflat.php...true#Post201707
  • poopinmymouth
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    poopinmymouth polycounter lvl 19
    [ QUOTE ]
    My thought is just: If you need to be spoonfed the info, how will you ever survive in this industry? How are you going to put food on your family?

[/ QUOTE ]

Ding Ding Ding. Quoted for truth.

poop.gif
  • Ruz
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Ruz polycount lvl 666
    do you take anger pills per128:)
  • Vredesbyrd
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    @ earthquake.

wwwre7.jpg
    I will make a example.
    See the black arrows these are hard edges.

This is how I would fix it , if you know a better technique , please share it.
    I would duplicate the low poly and add extra cuts to it.
    I will tweak these cuts to make the hardedges disappear.
    Basicly matching the Silhouette.
    Afterwards using this version of the medium-high poly for baking process.
    And apply the normal to the low poly , ofcourse keeping in mind that the normalmap matches the outer silhouette of the lowpoly mesh.
  • JKMakowka
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    JKMakowka polycounter lvl 18
    Ohh the drama

I nominate Per for the DramaQueen of the month!

Other than that, I agree 100% with him... ok 99% tongue.gif

Edit: @Vredesbyrd: I think that was a missunderstanding as "hard edges" usually referrs to a way to do smoothing groups in certain apps.
  • Vredesbyrd
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    [ QUOTE ]
    Ohh the drama

I nominate Per for the DramaQueen of the month!

Other than that, I agree 100% with him... ok 99% tongue.gif

Edit: @Vredesbyrd: I think that was a missunderstanding as "hard edges" usually referrs to a way to do smoothing groups in certain apps.

[/ QUOTE ]

Yes it was my mistake.
    I'm a max Noob , starting learning it a year ago.
    My background is Aliaswavefront Maya.
  • Ruz
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Ruz polycount lvl 666
    its odd per128, i acually am rather mlld on forums, but not in real life:) I am pretty evil in real life.
    To be fair though not every artist is tech minded.
    I am master of the blank expresion when a coder is trying to explain something to me, but some really talented artists I have known are 'totally' non technical and you have to explain stuff over and over.
  • Ghostscape
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    [ QUOTE ]
    How are you going to put food on your family?

[/ QUOTE ]

The same way I always have.

By carefully balancing one danish at a time.
  • fritz
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    fritz polycounter lvl 18
    dammit ghostscape....you beat me to it!!!
  • Jesse Moody
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Jesse Moody polycounter lvl 17
    man some of you guys get heated over the dumbest shit. so many ways you can go about during your workflow process. I can honestly say that as an environment artist I have been making everything from debris piles sculpted with mudbox and parts modeled with max, sci-fi metal crates, rocks sculpted in mudbox to high poly fps weapons. Not one of these had the same steps as another.

I basically make a proportions pass, the normal model or if i'm going to make a sculpt in mudbox or zbrush then i just do a quick rough model in max with the right proportions and shit and drop that out. Then I create the low poly around it. UVs and then on to materials.

Everyone has different styles and the trick is finding the style that works best for you.
  • Ghostscape
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    [ QUOTE ]
    man some of you guys get heated over the dumbest shit. so many ways you can go about during your workflow process. I can honestly say that as an environment artist I have been making everything from debris piles sculpted with mudbox and parts modeled with max, sci-fi metal crates, rocks sculpted in mudbox to high poly fps weapons. Not one of these had the same steps as another.

I basically make a proportions pass, the normal model or if i'm going to make a sculpt in mudbox or zbrush then i just do a quick rough model in max with the right proportions and shit and drop that out. Then I create the low poly around it. UVs and then on to materials.

Everyone has different styles and the trick is finding the style that works best for you.

[/ QUOTE ]

No Jesse if you don't do it the way the internet tells you your puppy will melt into a puddle of whimpering goo whose tortured sounds will haunt your nightmares.
  • Jesse Moody
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    [ QUOTE ]
    No Jesse if you don't do it the way the internet tells you your puppy will melt into a puddle of whimpering goo whose tortured sounds will haunt your nightmares.

[/ QUOTE ]

Haha don't tempt me. There are strays all over the place. grin.gif
  • bounchfx
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    bounchfx mod
    what the fuck? how come I've never heard of these types of steps before?

Let me get this straight..

-Build a Low or Med poly mesh of the shape you want your character/creature to be (and evenly distribute polygons)

-bring it into a sculpting program like zbrush/mudbox/silo and add the detail and finish your high poly model

-bring it back into your modeling program and RE-BUILD a low poly model over it (or in zbrush export the lowest res mesh)

-project normal map and apply

is this correct?
    I like being spoonfed okay, we have the resources here with the internets and such and this happens to be a great place to get them

now if that is correct.. how do you go about re-building the low poly model on top of the high poly one if the high poly one is way too many polygons for your computer to handle? a piece at a time... or ? and when you build your original mesh that you will be subdividing into your high poly mesh do you build that in pieces ?

any info is great, thanks, I'm understanding it wayyyy more than I did previously

Thanks!
  • rooster
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    rooster mod
    you dont need to build the low poly around the highest subdivision, just one that high enough to have the main shape of the model
  • Sage
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Sage polycounter lvl 19
    For you guys that are in the game industry full time just keep in mind that usually a huge amount of what you do is not taught in school or books, and usually schools and books say to do the opposite. Hell when it come to normal mapping the tutorials in max say you can't overlaps/mirror uvs, but with game art you pretty much have to. So unless you have been working in a game company and someone there has taken the time to explain how you guys do it, the person trying to learn may understand what you mean, and probably miss the point, not understand at all or just get it. Sometimes a noob get's lucky and someone takes the time to explain shit that seems obvious. Per128 it's true that you must be sick of hearing the dreaded question how to normal map x or y and why doesn't this shit work. It get's asked all the time, but there is no sticky yet, maybe it's time that there is one so we all can be rude and say read the damn sticky. wink.gif Hell when my girlfriend askes me what I'm doing, the thought always crosses my head, fuck and now I have to explain everything so she may understand, but damn it Alex you don't understand it all yourself yet. Telling someone who has tried everything he or she can think of, to experiment, tells them screw you figure it out on your own , but I know how to do it , hah!. Experimenting is the only way to figure this shit out though.

Alex
  • Jesse Moody
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Yeah what Sage said.

It's all about experimenting with things. I have taught a lot of things to myself and I do pretty much everything but character stuff and my workflow changes piece by piece.

I have been lucky to have some of you guys help me along the way with some things that I flubbed up here and there and now I try to help others out with those same mistakes.
  • Joseph Silverman
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Joseph Silverman polycounter lvl 17
    I like per's posts, and find them to be informative.

That makes me a freak, doesn't it? frown.gif
  • Vredesbyrd
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Per128.
    The U-shape contains a different smoothing group.
    Material ID's correspond with the type of mapping and Smoothing groups.
    Thats Good intel thank you., I haven't put it into practice yet , cuz i have other priorities at this moment.
    But I trust your expertise on this one.
  • Vredesbyrd
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    a quick way to downgrade a high res model is to use polyboost ''dot loop'' options for selection and removal.

Polycruncher is not clean for downgrades.

I find polydraw and border tool very slow and most of the time unworkable when the mesh is too dense.
  • tristamus
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    tristamus polycounter lvl 9
    I think the thing that most people who are new to trying the "high to low poly" workflow are afraid of, is the actual DOING IT part. I myself am finally getting a good grasp on many things Game Art Development, but I can understand the fear.

The truth is, you just have to experiment with this shit like crazy...

And so now I realize after typing this how old this topic is...lol...
  • pior
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    pior grand marshal polycounter
  • ralusek
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    ralusek polycounter lvl 10
  • ceebee
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    ceebee polycounter lvl 14