Home General Discussion

Heading back to Phoenix, AZ

polycounter lvl 19
Offline / Send Message
poopinmymouth polycounter lvl 19
I'm going to be lecturing at the UAT Technology forum again this year, and I figured I'd make a post in case there are any Phoenix Polycounters who want to meet up and hang out. I don't think you can attend the forum if you're not a student, but I could always go over it again if you wanted in the evening. I'll be there from the 12-17 of June.

I'll post my lecture notes and all the filez here when I'm done, and ask for video copies of it too if they will provide it.

poop.gif

Replies

• diminished_Self
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    diminished_Self polycounter lvl 12
    UAT? oh dude...im sorry. you should head over to AIPX instead, UAT is just....tacky. laugh.gif

but in all seriousness, definitely go check out a IGDA meeting at the art institute of phoenix. there game art and design program blows the UAT stuff out of the water.
  • Prs-Phil
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Prs-Phil polycounter lvl 18
    O_O what happened ? PM, got no Inet here except at work ... no ICQ

Grats anyway!
  • poopinmymouth
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Phil: Nothing happened, I'm just going to be giving a lecture, then I'm flying back to Iceland.

Diminished Elf: Unfortunately AIPX has never paid to fly me to Phoenix to give a lecture, so I didn't even know there was an AI there. UAT flew me out last year, and is doing so again this year. Because of this, they'll be getting my lectures and attention. But if you're in the area, feel free to PM me about getting together while I'm there.

poop.gif
  • Xenobond
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Xenobond polycounter lvl 18
    UAT's game art programs were never really geared towards good unwrapping and texturing techniques. I'm hoping that since I've been there, they have changed that. Especially since you are speaking at one of the tech forums.

What are you going to be speaking on there?
  • Mark Dygert
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Talk about your climate changes =)

I hope this opens the doors for you to do more teaching. You might want to look into getting more bandwidth for your site or find someone willing to host the tutorials since your site gets hammered every time you do one of these things. You also run out of bandwidth every time a teacher points students to your site. Thats the price of giving good info =)
  • Spark
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Spark polycounter lvl 18
    Have fun Poop, that flight must be a fun one to do. Good luck at the lecture, hehe maybe you could have them give you an honorary doctorate, so you would then be DR. Poopinmymouth.:P

Spark
  • poopinmymouth
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Vig: yeah I'm looking into getting more bandwidth, I have 400 gb a month for mr-chompers.com which serves up the videos. Poopinmymouth.com just serves the jpegs and html and still goes through about 100 gb. I'm thinking of changing chompers to dreamhost. I think I'd realistically need about 800-1,000 gb a month transfer to handle it all.

Spark: I want to be Dr Poop SO BAD!

Xeno: I'm going to go over creating good material types in your textures. I've got a premade futuristic grenade that has wood, two types of metal, and leather aspects to it. I've got the low poly unwrapped and textured in current gen, and I made a high poly and baked the normal map and created the textures for next gen. I saved all my layers and did things in layer steps so I can walk them through how I use overlays and painted volume to fake materials in current gen, and next gen. It's really too long for the 1.5 hours I get during the Forum, so I'm giving my cliff notes version there, then an extended workshop on Saturday.

poop.gif
  • arshlevon
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    arshlevon polycounter lvl 18
    might be able to make it over if i can wrap everything up here at work by then.. i will go just to ask really annoying pointless questions..
  • poopinmymouth
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    HAHAHAHAHA
    oh man that'd be so awesome. I'll get you in no matter what. I'll tell them you're my assistant.

poop.gif
  • Richard Kain
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Richard Kain polycounter lvl 18
    Huh...I'm in the Phoenix area. (Scottsdale, in particular) And I certainly would appreciate some advice and guidance in my pursuit of 3D modeling and animation. Unfortunately, I already have a BA in graphic desgin, so I'm not attending UAT. But if your going to be putting together a little meet-and-greet for local polycounters, I would definitely be interested.
  • Xenobond
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Xenobond polycounter lvl 18
    I've never had a problem being on campus when I went back there a few times. They don't really enforce that kind of stuff till the weekends, or late at night. The only real problem is making sure they have enough room to fit people in the theater.
  • mvelasquez
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    hey fucking sweet!
    Ill be there. *google earth's UAT
    I second the vote to come to AIPX laugh.gif
    i look forward to meeting yous guys.
  • Rick Stirling
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Rick Stirling polycounter lvl 18
    Why don't you just torrent the video files?
  • duoxan
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    duoxan polycounter lvl 17
    ive merely only lurked these forums for a bit, till i have a bit more spare time to work on stuff
    anywho im also a student at AI, and totally agree that you should visit AI
    ill still be attending the lecture though, cant wait dude
  • Ephesians 2:8-9
    Bummer dude, Let me know if you ever attend a lecture or "lecture" at a university locally in Orange County CA. It Would be nice to meet you.
  • LordScottish
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    LordScottish polycounter lvl 18
    Good opportunity to get off the rock for a while smile.gif Have fun mate! Unfortunately it's a bit far away from where I usualy lurk around
  • Zcubed
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Zcubed polycounter lvl 18
    Huzzah! Poop comes back to the states. grin.gif

I'm a couple thousand miles away, so I'll sit this one out. Enjoy Phoenix!
  • Richard Kain
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Richard Kain polycounter lvl 18
    Oh yeah, just as a word of warning. It's hot as hell out here in Phoenix right now, and it is only going to be hotter by the time you arrive. Bring shorts, and clothing that breaths well. And be sure you drink water regularly while you're here. You should be consuming some manner of liquid at least once an hour to rehydrate.