Home General Discussion

Two of the Most Hated Game Creators Alive

polycounter lvl 18
Offline / Send Message
JKMakowka polycounter lvl 18
http://www.destructoid.com/virtual-schoo...ive-31610.phtml

Discuss smile.gif

P.S.: I will write my own comment as soon as there is a lively discussion, as I don't want a discussion about my oppinion but about those interviews by themselves.

Replies

• Joao Sapiro
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Joao Sapiro sublime tool
    people do games about ww2 and other wars , where millions were killed. I dont see the difference besides that it is a very dramatic recent happening.
  • JKMakowka
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Oh and here is another interesting semi related topic:
    http://www.igda.org/Forums/showthread.ph...mp;pagenumber=1

Discuss too smile.gif
  • CheapAlert
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    CheapAlert polycounter lvl 18
    i wonder if I can become an attentionwhoring 'hated game maker' by making an rpgmaker rpg about a emotional, controversial and taboo topic too
  • ebagg
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    ebagg polycounter lvl 17
    I came in thinking this was going to be an article about John Romero. :/
  • Jesse Moody
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Jesse Moody polycounter lvl 17
    [ QUOTE ]
    I came in thinking this was going to be an article about John Romero. :/

[/ QUOTE ]

Oh man haha. I met that guy and hung out with him at GDC 06. I swear he doesn't stop talking about himself. I just felt like going DUDE YOU RAN IONSTORM INTO THE DIRT!

Now a few of my friends are working for his Slipgate Ironworks company and they are making an MMO...

Hmmmm good luck with that guys.
  • Ninjas
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Ninjas polycounter lvl 18
    [ QUOTE ]
    Oh and here is another interesting semi related topic:
    http://www.igda.org/Forums/showthread.ph...mp;pagenumber=1

Discuss too smile.gif

[/ QUOTE ]

That is no suprise. Scientologists seem to sue anyone and everyone they can, and getting your local scientologist cop to come down on somebody is in line with those tactics.
  • HonkyPunch
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    HonkyPunch polycounter lvl 18
    I just want to say, it's not smart to make games about such a taboo subject. People are afraid to take the problem head on, instead focusing on blaming other things, such as video games...
    So making a game based on it is just fucking stupid. Either way, you have to commend their balls to make something like this.
    And of course they could be neglected little children who want attention on the internets
  • TomDunne
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    TomDunne polycounter lvl 18
    I recognize them as attention whores and dismiss them before their 15 minutes passes. I do not commend their balls.
  • Steve Schulze
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Steve Schulze polycounter lvl 18
    Agreed, though if I met Ryan Lambourne in the street in Sydney, I wouldn't be averse to kicking him in said balls.
  • HonkyPunch
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    HonkyPunch polycounter lvl 18
  • Rhinokey
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Rhinokey polycounter lvl 18
    I don't see anything wrong with this, I also see nothing interesting in it.
  • hawken
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    hawken polycounter lvl 19
    its almost as mad as the act its self
  • danr
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    danr interpolator
    my contribution to a "discussion" about this sort of thing is simple :

look, just don't, okay? Stop what you're doing, and fuck off.

and i'd be right, too
  • Frank
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Frank polycounter lvl 18
    [ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]
    Er...no, it's not.

Frank the Avenger
  • JKMakowka
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I see... a lot of diverse and interesting opinions about it... yet this hasn't derailed into a cat posting thread tongue.gif

My personal opinion about it: While I certainly wouldn't have done it my self (too lazy and don't really see a point), I sure applaud their (or better that of the second guy) anarchic sense of humor, which I happen to share.

In addition to that I really think games should finally grow up and incorporate some controversial topics now and then, just like any other form of entertainment has done in the history of mankind.
    IMHO the lack of this is the main reason why games arn't taken seriously, and seen as kids toys by most of society.
  • Jeremy Wright
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Jeremy Wright polycounter lvl 17
    You know, I doubt these are two of the most hated game creators alive. I hate George Lucas more everytime I've played a Star Wars game with horrible controls.

The the dude in the second interview, was he an honest to god b/tard? These people are immature fuckwits and don't deserve any commendation or applause. These games are no different than the garbage games that hate groups create so people can virutally kill others. The games and the people that make them suck and are fucking stupid.

The thing that sucks the most is that some of you think there's nothing wrong with these. wtf?
  • rooster
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    rooster mod
    I suppose all games can be about is space marines saving the galaxy? Theres also a pretty clear division between the two guys viewpoints and reasoning for their games..

Danny Ledonne doesn't sound like a attention whore at all, he has some pretty well thought out responses and regardless whether you agree with him its worth noting his intentions and that he actually made the game for a reason. IIRC I read in PCgamer that one of the columbine survivors went on record supporting the game (may even be some footage of him in the game? need to dig out the issue) because its about exploring the mindset of the killers and understanding what went on. If you look at it from the perspective of just being another game like gears or zelda/whatever except its about being a murderer, yeah it's sick. but that's not the context in which it was created.

The other guy however is clearly a just a nob.
  • acc
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    acc polycounter lvl 18
    You do not have the right to not be offended.

You do have the right to express that you are offended.

Everything offends someone.

Thousands upon thousands of people are murdered in cold blood every day.

It is very difficult to kill someone with a video game.

What is my point? There is no point. The whole topic is extremely pointless. You think the games are good? OK. You think the games are bad? OK. People are still killing people either way. The only tangible result stemming from this discussion is that the guys who make controversial games become celebrities.
  • JacqueChoi
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    JacqueChoi polycounter
    Is there any possible way that a game about this *Could* be made tastefully?

If not, then I doubt games, could ever truly be considered as an 'art'.
  • thnom
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    thnom polycounter lvl 18
    The point I liked, or agreed with: If you're going to do this, do it while the people are still reeling, don't do it when the wounds are scabbing over only for you to make them bleeding again. In that sense the difference is the approach, very different to that of world war games or something, and don't dare try and state that world war games have history that gets taught because you know you're bullshitting.
  • hawken
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    hawken polycounter lvl 19
    [ QUOTE ]
    [ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]
    Er...no, it's not.

Frank the Avenger

[/ QUOTE ]

sure! avoid forming an opinion on the actual subject why dont ya confused.gif
  • Frank
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Frank polycounter lvl 18
    [ QUOTE ]
    [ QUOTE ]
    [ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]
    Er...no, it's not.

Frank the Avenger

[/ QUOTE ]

sure! avoid forming an opinion on the actual subject why dont ya confused.gif

[/ QUOTE ]
    Do you seriously think that making a game based on a killing spree is even close to as 'mad' as going into a school with a bunch of guns and shooting random innocent people?

Frank the Avenger
  • Cthogua
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Cthogua polycounter lvl 18
    While I certainly like the idea of games being made that challenge peoples ideas, as I think thats one of the better things that art can do. However at the same time I can't help but feel like they're just using that as an excuse for a bad joke. I think I read that guy made the Columbine game while he was still in highschool...I have to say that it reeks of that kind of careless teenage humor. Like sitting around and trying to think of the worst, most tasteless thing you could do in hopes of impressing your other angry nerd friends.

Trajedy does need to be made fun of though. Its important to laugh at the things that scare or hurt us, as it takes the teeth out of it. However that's entirely egocentric and too much of that attitude just makes you a dick. I think empathy for other hurt human beings is just as, if not more important.