Home Technical Talk

Mudbox vs. Silo vs. Zbrush vs.....

polycounter lvl 18
Offline / Send Message
HandSandwich polycounter lvl 18
Hey guys. I haven't spent much time with any of the polysculpting programs out there and now I'm looking on changing that, especially with the idea of challenges (mobster bust) being sculpt only. I was wondering if anyone had any opinions on which was the best program overall, which was the best for starting out, etc. Any thoughts will help. Thanks.

Replies

• jgarland
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I agree with Per, to some extent. I don't have any experience with Silo, however.

I don't really feel that Mudbox is "pathetic" at all. ZBrush has a lot of features that I never really used, nor did I have any reason to.

One thing to take into consideration is the fact that Mudbox is solely meant for sculpting high resolution models, and perhaps baking them into a low resolution mesh.

ZBrush isn't really a true 3D sculpting package. Pixologic has dubbed it to be "2.5D." It can be used to sculpt a 3D object, but at the same time, it can be used like Photoshop, to paint directly over or onto those objects. This is why it doesn't have a "perspective" viewport. All of it's viewports are orthographic.

If all you're concerned with is sculpting high resolution meshes, then Mudbox might be for you. ZBrush's extra features could be a help or a hindrance, depending on what kind of work you're planning on doing.
  • andym12
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Depends on your PC too, I think Zbrush can handle far more than Mudbox can, but take this with a grain of salt until someone can elaborate.
  • MoP
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    MoP polycounter lvl 18
    Yeah, ZBrush has always run better with more polys than Mudbox for me.
    Also it just "feels" nicer to use personally.

Obviously I won't draw any comparisons with Silo, since Silo is primarily a modelling program, not a sculpting app. It has very good sculpting tools that feel fine, but it can't handle anywhere near as many polys as Mudbox or ZBrush.
  • Mongrelman
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Mongrelman polycounter lvl 18
    Haven't used mudbox, but from what I hear, it's very easy to pickup, was built to sculpt high res stuff and does it well.

Z3, lots of stuff in it (including perspective view now). Possibly better to learn this as it has more features and is harder to get to grips with. I would think a studio looking for people who can sculpt would think if you can do it in zbrush, then it would be no problem shifting you to mudbox, if that is what the studio uses. I've also heard many people not being able to get high polycounts in mudbox, in some cases being about what they can reach in silo. So you might want to do a bit of research and see if it's maybe component related and get an idea if your comp might suffer the same problem.

I was working on a model in Z3 yesterday composed of 9 subtools, each about 1-4 million polygons, so about 18 million in total. A bit sluggish at times with all tools visible, but you can just hide the views. Then there is the HD geometry. Currently no good for production as the details can't be extracted, but the new displacement exporter and zmapper are supposed to be able to do it (don't know when they are due for release). If you decide on learning zbrush, I strongly suggest going through tutorials DVDs such as the Gnomon ones or Kurv Studio one. If you try to learn the UI and workflow without them, I recommend a solid brick. So you'll have something at hand to smash your face with when required. However once you know the basics you can do a lot with that, then expand from there.

I would hardly say Silo has little functionality. As a SubD modeller it is excellent, it's all about workflow and customisation. I only tried the first beta (it's on about the 9th beta release now), but the sclupting felt pretty good back then, I'm sure it's a fair bit better now. A key thing with silo is being able to poly model and sculpt at the same time. It also has retopologising tools, uv mapping and normal mapping too.
  • Michael Knubben
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Lups: the sculpting was much improved in the next-to-latest silo beta, and --for me-- it's now about on equal level with Mudbox. I'm afraid it's just that Mudbox has issues with my computer though, and i'll need to tweak the setting a bit to see if that chances anything.
    And while i was holding off on Zbrush before, seeing as how Mudbox was so much more intuitive, the new features have me salivating, so i'm afraid i'm going to have to throw myself at it one more time in hopes of it clicking.
  • mvelasquez
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I silo for most all of my sculpting needs, and honestly i can push as many polys as i can in silo as in mudbox. (about 3million) Imo silo is the easiest to use out of all 3 and the flexibility of being able to switch between sculpting and modeling is just priceless imo. The only drawback i see for silo is that is it cant do any type of projection mapping or other high frequency texturing. I havent used much of zbrush so i cant really make a comparison to it.
  • D4V1DC
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    D4V1DC polycounter lvl 18
    Here's something I thought I'd never be saying but went ahead and installed Z3 and must say after installing it I was satisfied with how easy it was to work with. I was just playing around with it and the sculpt isn't nothing special but I was happy to be able to design something in this app. Really wanted to include Zbursh into my workflow when personal time comes around and when I want to learn and create something new, now I can.

Much like mudbox when I first installed it though, I feel this new update to Zbrush has made Z3 a close 2nd in my list of apps to sculpt with.

Didn't get a chance to mess with the app totally as maybe Lupus has though I just installed it 1 hours ago and I am already posting about it seems to be a good thing, at least to me it is...

I played with Zbrush2 for about 1 to 2 days and I gave up on it but this new update makes me want to learn more, let's see what happens.

Good luck on your search.
  • ScoobyDoofus
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    ScoobyDoofus polycounter lvl 19
    I now own 2 of these apps, and have a *cough* demo of Mudbox.
    Silo is the best SDS modeler I've used yet, and has become an important part of my process. Zbrush is great and ZappLink just takes it to the next level for me, texturing wise.

Mudbox has, for me at least, vastly superior poly pushing performance than either of the other 2 apps.
    Mudbox costs 1/2 as much though because it only does 1/2 of the equation...no texturing.

I just purchased Zbrush3 and have yet to experiment with its new poly painting abilities. Its supposed to now handle massive numbers of polys better than Z2, but honestly for me the performance on ZB is still pretty poor. However... if the new sculpting tools are anywhere as easy as presented in the videos I'll never need Mudbox again.
  • HandSandwich
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    HandSandwich polycounter lvl 18
    Wow. Thanks everybody for the great info. I really appreciate it. So far, I've downloaded trials for Mudbox and Silo so I'm going to try those out until I can get my hands on Zbrush. Now, I'll just have to take Per's advice and get off my ass. smirk.gif Thanks again.
  • Zcubed
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Zcubed polycounter lvl 18
    Silo is becoming more and more enticing. Have there been any announcements regarding a date for the final version?

[ QUOTE ]

Mudbox costs 1/2 as much though because it only does 1/2 of the equation...no texturing.

[/ QUOTE ]

Mudbox actually seems to be the most expensive of the three apps.
  • CopperHaze
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Mudbox is the most expensive unless you buy a non-commercial license which I think is about $299. This is the way I look at it:

Silo= Cheap, effective modeler with sculpting. My only gripe with Silo is that you are not going to get the level of detail sculpting that you can get in Mudbox or ZB3.....but it is a dam good poly modeler. Better than any other package at poly modeling imho due to it's fast, effective, non-bloated interface.

Mudbox= Great sculpting app. Really intuitive...you could pick it up and be sculpting away in no time with out even reading any documentation. The Non-Commercial license is quite affordable at 299. You can get a pretty high polycount in Mudbox with a relatively decent machine. There is already talk of Mudbox 2.0 comming out this year and it will include 3d texture painting. Whether or not it is a free upgrade is still up in the air though. Great at what it does though....

ZBrush 3= A power house of an application. With all of the added features and tools it is definetly worth the 489 price tag. It can achieve the highest amount of polygons out of the three applications. It really is an app that will just be getting better as time goes on and as the ZB community releases new ZPlugins (which are free)
  • conte
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    conte polycounter lvl 18
    mudbox is like redneck, zbrush like rich freak,
    you have to pick.
  • CopperHaze
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Askhat is right....they will both do you right

*edit to drunken post*
  • PolyHertz
    Options
    Online / Send Message
    PolyHertz polycount lvl 666
    Mudbox = simple and clean program that is easy to pickup and does its job well. Lacks the bells and whistles of its competition (its main stand out feature IS its simplicity), and has problems with symmetry sometimes.

ZBrush = Has overy complicated controls+interface and as such takes a while to get used to. With zb3 tends to crash alot on some machines. Can handle considerably more geometry then mudbox, and has alot more features though.

Havn't used Silo, but the ability to do basic poly editing along side sculpting is a big plus it has over the competition.
  • Whargoul
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Whargoul polycounter lvl 18
    zbrush 3 = the most reliable software I've ever used. It crashes %100 of the time I start it frown.gif Can't get the piece of shit to run. Oh well, back to %100 working Mudbox for me. Plus I love a standard UI/workflow.
  • conte
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    conte polycounter lvl 18
    agreed Per, zbrush3 is pretty stable.
    at me, it's crashing only if i am using projection master
    with model in Perspective mode.
    Whargoul, your compo is crashy, and your ideas is crashy
    not zb.
  • MoP
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    MoP polycounter lvl 18
    I'm pretty sure that, despite this anecdotal evidence, ZBrush3 crashes far more often than any production tool should.
  • Mongrelman
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Aye. Z2 was shocking stable I found. In the two years I've had it, it's only crashed a handful of times, and usually when I was pushing it pretty far.

Z3.....not the same storey. I crashed it about 10 times in 5 minutes just trying to blur a mask on a model. And there have been other crashes for other things too.

It's great when it works, and I really like how the sculpting feels in it, but it needs an update to fix the stability and hopefully sort a few features out.
  • tacit math
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    tacit math polycounter lvl 17

Erasing Layer Information

You can erase information in a Layer by using a morph target and the morph brush.

To do this take the following steps:

Turn off visibility for the layer you want to remove information from
    Store a morph target by pressing Tool: Morph Target: Store MT
    Select the morph brush
    Turn the visibility back on for that layer
    Paint out the area you want to remove

i'm no pro. but it's fucking disgusting that they'd expect gems like that to be welcome in a ' time is money ' environment. this is essentially the same workflow as in 2. one of the lesser sour grapes you'll swallow to have access to those polycounts
  • Mongrelman
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Aye, had some fun last night merging a bunch of teeth subtools into one subtool.

Delete other subd layers for each tooth so they're all now at level 1.

Clone each one.

Select first, tool>insert mesh, select the first clone.

It's a shame, as there is a lot of great stuff, but then this akward crap is there that just gets in the way, and makes it more complicated than it should be.

Select second, tool>insert mesh, slect the second clone etc. etc.

All that instead of just merging layers, as each tooth got put in a sperate layer when I copied one.