Home General Discussion

Indievelopment

A few days ago, I was on GameSpot and came across a feature called "Indievelopment." I hadn't heard of it before, so I checked it out. It's a "documentary" (I'm using the term loosely) about a few guys who have plans to start their own game studio. They've all invested a few grand and have quit their jobs to start their project full-time.

The premise behind their game, "Black Powder, Red Earth," is a first-person shooter, with persistent weapons and armor, and a social networking system, essentially allowing players to "build up" their characters as they gain more money, wins, etc.

It's a great watch, especially for people who aren't quite "in" the industry yet, like myself. Seeing them going from making beginner mistakes to having a fully working demo over three months, learning all the way, is quite interesting.

The final episode just aired a few days ago, so it's all there for download right away. Check it out here, and visit Echelon Software's website here.

Replies

• Emil Mujanovic
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Emil Mujanovic polycounter lvl 18
    This looks interesting, will download the vids tonight after work and check it out. Thanks for the link dude.

-caseyjones
  • D4V1DC
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    D4V1DC polycounter lvl 18
    Just watched it, it's 27 mins to anyone wondering.

Whoa that's cool how they are really deticated to working on that demo and they are pretty close me, I had this idea myself though I don't know anyone into 3D like I am. It's always good to hear a new company is coming/growing in my area. I wish those guys the best of luck and if they start hiring I want in wink.gif.

Thanx jarland for posting this as I find it very useful if there are any more companies/groups like this where might I find them? Just incase my currrent situation doesnt work out.

Thanx again.
  • jgarland
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Honestly, if you're serious about getting a job in your area, you should let them know. They seemed to readily take whatever help they could get, so having someone with industry experience would be a big boon to them.

Granted, you probably wouldn't be getting the best pay, but who knows what will happen when they get a publisher? It could be their big break. smile.gif
  • Hito
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Hito interpolator
    is there a download for all 10 episodes together or do you have to download each episode 1 by 1
  • jgarland
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    You have to download each episode one at a time, but I was thinking about uploading a torrent with all ten episodes to Demonoid or someplace similar. The only problem with that is getting enough people to seed the file to allow for decent download speeds.

You could also try using the GameSpot Download Manager, which improved download speeds for me. I was getting about 250 kB/s, which made it less painful.
  • Panupat
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Panupat polycounter lvl 15
    Not that painful laugh.gif In the download manager, search for indievelopment to get a list of all 10, then click download on all of them, and they'll get added to the queue. You can just leave it there and they'll start downloading themselves 1 by 1. I just leave the dl manager running for about 2 hours.

If you need help seeding the medium quality, I can help. I can't download the hq because I'm not subscribing to gamespot.