Home 3D Art Showcase & Critiques

Civic + Jet engine + gatling gun = ?

aegix
polycounter lvl 17
Offline / Send Message
aegix polycounter lvl 17
Made this for a game-art competition. Theme was "Post-Apocalyptic Vehicle". 100% self illuminated max viewport screencaps.
civic-beauty.jpg
civic-wire.jpg

http://files.eatpolys.com/3d/civic/civic-texturesheet.jpg

I only managed to get the diffuse done before the deadline, and even that was a bit rushed towards the end. Had a specular planned and was hoping to crazybump and photoshop up some basic normal mapping but uni work got in the way frown.gif

Crits on the texturing in particular are welcome. It's an area I think I need to work on.

Replies

• gauss
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    gauss polycounter lvl 18
    the answer to your equation: Civic + Jet engine + gatling gun = awesome smile.gif funny concept and the execution just about brings it to life. a little bit more polish and it'll be a great piece.

i think the missing spec map might help things along.. you're right that the texture isn't quite up to the standards of the modeling and overall concept. it's not bad, but to my eyes it's looking a little murky. higher contrast, or at least some more defined value ranges might help it out. or is it the way it's lit? though i bet if you grayscaled it, most of the values would be pretty same-same... i know it's tough, given that the post-apoc look is usually predicated on a worn down, rusty kind of feel, but there still plenty of ways to draw the eyes around the model appropriately without losing that look.

the only other comment i'd make about the model itself is that i'd like to see you play with a somewhat more exaggerated stance, for the car to really show the weight it's bearing--bring the engine closer down to the roof of the car, maybe even practically touching it or slightly denting it, and then push the shocks down even lower, especially in back. just a thought, though. overall it's a fun idea that you've executed rather well. just needs a little more work to shine smile.gif
  • Keg
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Keg polycounter lvl 18
    Big thing that sticks out is the gatling gun looks out of place. texture just looks too clean compared to everything else.

Other than that, what gauss said.
  • aegix
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    aegix polycounter lvl 17
    Thanks for the comments. It's definitely something I want to rework and polish as a portfolio piece so I'm taking all crits in to consideration.

You're right about the lack of contrast in the texture... it was definitely something I struggled with but didn't really know how to resolve. I mean you've got brown and... dark brown? Orangey brown? :P
  • Quickel
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Quickel polycounter lvl 12
    I sort of agree with Keg here only I don't think the gun has been incorporated enough with the car. It's just plopped on the hood. Maybe showing that it was fastened (similar to what you did with the engine) and maybe running the bullets differently could help?
  • Joshua Stubbles
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Joshua Stubbles polycounter lvl 19
    Hahah, oh man that turned out great smile.gif
    I agree with the others, that the gat tex seems a bit clean. Otherwise, that's awesome. Hope you win the contest! smile.gif
  • PolyPutty
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I agree with lowering the shocks in the back of the car to make it feel like it is carrying more weight.
  • systmh
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    nice! i always had a soft spot for the post apocalyptic. i agree with gauss and others, the jet engine oughta be brought down and 'squish' the car and its suspension a bit. should give a sense of rediculous weight and power to it.

and i must add--your avatar.. it's strangely(disturbingly?) mesmerizing o. o
  • aegix
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    aegix polycounter lvl 17
    laugh.gif

gif'd my avatar from a video here: http://www.engr.colostate.edu/~dga/high_speed_video/

Thanks for the feedback guys.
  • Panupat
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Panupat polycounter lvl 15
    wow I really like how the water still remains in balloon shape long after the balloon is gone.
    http://www.engr.colostate.edu/~dga/high_speed_video/Balloons/water_balloons_popping.wmv
  • Emil Mujanovic
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Emil Mujanovic polycounter lvl 18
    Great looking model dude. A spec map would have made this thing really pop! I agree with what has been said about the gun being out of place. It almost looks like you ran out of time and just managed a first pass on it.
    As for the model, the jet engine itself looks placed a little too far back for me. I can just imagine this car taking off and the front end lifting up. Would just need a bird to land on the back and the car would tip ass over elbow. Having said that, no one else mentioned it so I could be wrong.
    Other than that, it looks great.

-caseyjones