Home Technical Talk

Id and multisub-object in 3dsmax

polycounter lvl 18
Offline / Send Message
snap.crackle.pop polycounter lvl 18
Im in the middle of texturing my character under 3dsMax, when just figured that my whole unwrapped mesh wont fit in a single window. So i load up a Multisub-object, break down my mesh in 3, assign an Id to each pieces.

How am i going to texture my character, if it doesn't fit in the texture area ?

ID.jpg

Replies

• snap.crackle.pop
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    How should i work with the Sub-material? i get all 3 maps in one. Should i separate my mesh again once more and only work on parts ? how do you guys work this out.

thanks

ID3.jpg
  • D4V1DC
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    D4V1DC polycounter lvl 18
    You would export 3 different texture maps wouldn't you?

Depending on the details in the character those looks like 3 512x512's to me.
  • fritz
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    fritz polycounter lvl 18
    why don't you just uniform scale everything down....fit them snuggly into a 2048X2048? that should be more than enough for you to work with. and if you can't do that....put the head on a separate sheet and everything else on one.
  • MoP
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    MoP polycounter lvl 18
    Move all of MTL ID 2 a single UV unit to the left (so it's fully inside the square, overlapping the other UVs), move MTL ID 3, two UV units to the left, so it's inside and overlapping too.

Then you can give each one its own square texture. You can filter by mtl. id in the unwrap window (at the bottom) if you need to edit them later and don't wanna see the overlapping stuff.
  • snap.crackle.pop
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Mop i think you hit the nail with an hammer, i overlap all my MTL IDs in the main square and filter them out, with the with the unwrap window, one by one, ok i see it now (took me 10 mins), thanks a tri-zillion time, works great smile.gif

$!nz: Im not too sure where you can see if its a 512x512, i use the UVW Map exporter and tell him what size i want from there just before i export my map.

Fritz: Just so i learn, you think i can resize all of this to fit in one single window ? i would do that but i thought that making 3 maps would give me a better pixel ratio than just 1 or 2. If you know something i dont know tell me more about it
  • MoP
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    MoP polycounter lvl 18
    In general it's usually better to put as much of a single model on a single texture if possible. Splitting it onto smaller maps can increase realtime rendertimes if it's an in-game model.
    There are some cases where it can be useful to have different textures, for example if you want special shader effects on some of the textures but not all of it, or if you have a few pieces which need alpha maps for transparency.

In game-engine terms, it's generally better to have small things requiring special effects or transparency on their own small separate map, because if you have a full 1024x1024 texture where only a tiny belt or piece of hair is being alpha-mapped, it's more expensive to render the whole model trying to calculate the transparency for the whole map, rather than just the individual piece.

But that's probably more complex than you need to worry about now, and not really something any company would really be worried about, because it's easy to learn, and not necessary completely obvious smile.gif

Sorry if I confused you there, looks like you're on the right track now though.
  • snap.crackle.pop
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Thanks Moppy, so im better off scaling a few more pieces and fit them under 2 maps at 2048x2048 than having 3 1024x1024

i guess your right, it would make more sense to work with 2 maps than 3 for me right now.
  • D4V1DC
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    D4V1DC polycounter lvl 18
    Like I said I didn't know who much detail you wanted in your model design this is why I said looks like 512's because 512's can get some pretty decent results. Though it does seem your after a more detailed style texture if your considering 2 2048's.

That's all.

Good luck hope to see some pimp'n soon.
  • fritz
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    fritz polycounter lvl 18
    MoP sums it up pretty good(as always). yeah, i am just suggesting a 2048 for pimpage reasons. nobody uses something that big for a character in-game.
  • snap.crackle.pop
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    $inz - fritz --> guys don't worry, im only asking so i learn a little more each day, if someone has good info on why 512 are better than this or that i like to hear about it. This is a great place for troubled and inquiring minds.
  • Ryno
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Ryno polycounter lvl 18
    Just a little rambling, in case you hadn't thought of it.

One 2048 is equal in texture space to four 1024s. It is twice as wide, and twice as tall, which is 2x2 = 4 times bigger.

Now about texture calls. The more calls, the poorer the performance. Assuming you have diffuse, spec, and normal, three 1024s times three maps would equal 9 texture calls. Two 2048s times three maps each would be only 6 calls. This will perform better as far as the texture calls go, although the texture maps themselves will take up a bit more disc space.

In addition, it takes less wrangling and color corrections are much easier when working with fewer texture maps.
  • Eric Chadwick
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    The two articles here might help you out.
    http://www.ericchadwick.com/examples/provost/byf1.html
    They explain why it matters how many materials you break your model into, among other things.
  • snap.crackle.pop
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Amazing people, im all awed, im going to gain lots of weight because i wont be moving too much for the next few weeks hehehe laugh.gif

This link is on crack, many thanks for this
    http://www.ericchadwick.com/examples/provost/byf1.html
  • snap.crackle.pop
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Woow guys, my character is coming along nicely. Normal slot only, a few glitches, sits around 2500 polys.

Thank you, thank you, thank you, thank you !

PimpinMain.jpg
  • MoP
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    MoP polycounter lvl 18
    nice one man, coming along pretty well! smile.gif
  • snap.crackle.pop
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Mop, there's a little of you in this one wink.giflaugh.gif