Home General Discussion

Creativity at work

polycounter lvl 18
Offline / Send Message
Thegodzero polycounter lvl 18
I know we all have are ways of finding our iner creativity.

What do you do to help yourself visualize something your asked to make?
I often find myself running into brick walls where i can't visualize what it is I'm making so have a hard time making it.
What do you do when you run into this problem?

I know this will help a lot more people than just me.

Replies

• Matabus
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Matabus polycounter lvl 19
    A metric ton of art books. I flip through my hoard of literature I keep at work any time I am feeling the ole' artist's block and it clears it up in no time. Also these boards are a great source of inspiration.
  • HonkyPunch
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    HonkyPunch polycounter lvl 18
    I really haven't a clue how I run through my creative process.
    I know that for the most part, creativity for me follows a certain pattern.
    Period Of Extreme Boredom, lasting more than 3 hours+Insomnia (usually caused by sudden, irrational paranoia, such as a sudden, dormant fear of rabbits re-awakening, leading to This
    + large amounts of caffeine to stem off sleep for another 2 hours or so.
    This is the most common type, really. Often times, I'll find myself browsing the internet (usually these boards), or playing a game, and I will suddenly see a character, an object, or a style that I wish to replicate to my fullest ability. Sometimes, I'll spend 3 or so minutes on it before giving up out of frustration, usually costing me a pen. Sometimes, I'll spend hours developing a new style.
    ADD in motion, I suppose.
  • Nilium
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Nilium polycounter lvl 18
    What is this.. creativity you speak of?

Alright, I don't have a job, but generally speaking I just look at random stuff. Pictures of locations I haven't been to (most of the world) help a lot, because the variety of plants out thar is amazing. I've also taken to using that thing gauss was suggesting during the dom war where you do little thumbnails to get ideas. I've probably horribly abused the actual process, however. Lastly, you can always try describing the task in writing. Handwriting. Not typing it.
  • Jesse Moody
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Jesse Moody polycounter lvl 17
    Man this is always something I tend to struggle with. What has been working for me recently is my huge collection of photos on my hard drive I have taken myself or found on the net. Also having a huge collection of art books and these forums in general are all amazing help.
  • Uly
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Uly polycounter lvl 15
    The ever popular "inspiration folder", good books, the Blade Runner soundtrack and Pink Floyd.
  • adam
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    adam polycounter lvl 19
    I'll take a 15 minute break and browse places that are completely not game related.

Inspiration folder.

Art books.

Talk to other co-workers about what they're working on.
  • Emil Mujanovic
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Emil Mujanovic polycounter lvl 18
    Generally when I have a task, its usually accompanied with some concept art or a brief description. But from time to time, I'll get free reign to build a section of the environment or a feature area without concept.
    My Process (for environments):
    - Block out to get proportions and positioning of everything
    - Screen capture
    - Load Photoshop
    - Paintover!
    - Show Lead/Producer/AD
    - Start new paintover :P

I find blocking out things to work really well for me, because you don't commit yourself to huge amounts of work for something that won't work gameplay wise even if it is visually stunning.
    Look at a lot of reference!
    But there are days (like today), where I'm feeling completely brain dead and can't come up with anything that looks rad. Days like this are for collision meshing laugh.gif

-caseyjones
  • skankerzero
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I'll take a break and go outside. Visit Gamestop and talk with the guys, or go to Best Buy, etc.

Sometimes detatching yourself from your work is the best thing you can do. Lets you mull it over in your head at your own leasure.
  • Thegodzero
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Thegodzero polycounter lvl 18
    Great ideas keep um coming.
  • Penzer
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Penzer polycounter lvl 17
    Inspiration folder, some art books and my DS.
  • poopinmymouth
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    poopinmymouth polycounter lvl 19
    You gotta mix things up. If you let your life become too routine, it's gonna sap your creative juices. Drive a different route to work some days, walk or bicycle instead of drive, take up different hobbies, or take classes at a local college. Anything that changes up the routine is good.

When you do find some awesome art on the internet, print it out, and tack it up to your walls. If you can't do that, change your desktop often with good artwork. Seeing other peoples stuff can be inspiring. Also remember to look at real life for inspiration, rather than always to other artists.

poop.gif
  • ebagg
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    ebagg polycounter lvl 17
  • dom
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    dom polycounter lvl 18
    I'll look at every other kind of art except 3d art. Listen to some nice OSTs, always helps me get in the right mood. and I search for images on Google with a combination of words related to the subject but with a twist.
  • Joshua Stubbles
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Joshua Stubbles polycounter lvl 19
    I find that creativity flows aplenty, when working on projects I like. If you like first person shooters, and are forced to work on Barbie's Dream Castle, your creativity is going to kerplunk in the shitter. Sadly as game dev is, you don't get to decide what you work on. Only thing I've found that gets me by, is working on great art on my own time. Sure, you end up spending even more time on your ass, behind a PC. But that little release, that burst of creativity, is usually enough to get you by.
  • Mark Dygert
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    [ QUOTE ]
    You gotta mix things up. If you let your life become too routine, it's gonna sap your creative juices.

[/ QUOTE ]
    I couldn't agree more. Get out and visit a place you haven't been. Visit it at a different time of day. Find a busy place with a lot of people and just people watch. Chances are if you hit a creative rut its because you have become too complacent. Get up, go to work, work, go home, eat, go to bed. Nothing robs my creativity more than sticking to the same old routine.

Make some time to be a kid again. Activate your hands with something other than a mouse. Seriously bust out the Legos and just build something. Buy some clay, crayons and just connect with a piece of yourself that isn't serious and intent on a banging out a product by a certain time.

Chances are if you aren't doing much more with your hands than typing, mousing and slobbing your nob, your body could be stuck in a routine just as much as your mind. Exercise, going for a walk, boxing, join a rec league, all good ways to wake up different parts of your brain. How are you going to make a good battle crazed warrior if you can't remember the last time you took a knock to the head or stirred those types of emotions up.

Music. If your struggling with visualizing something try to find some music that fits that object/person/place.
  • RyRyB
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    RyRyB polycounter lvl 18
    [ QUOTE ]
    You gotta mix things up. If you let your life become too routine, it's gonna sap your creative juices

[/ QUOTE ]

For me, that's one of the single most important things to staying alert and rejuvenating creativity. I exercise as often as possible: gym (treadmill/bike/rowing), racquetball, and soccer (rec league and play in pickup games on the weekend).

Random vacations or day-trips are always fun. Wake up early and pick a direction and see what you can find. Girlfriend and I are headed to Vancouver this weekend. It wasn't planned far ahead, just got a good price for a hotel and the decision was made to go.

Another company where a friend of mine works has daily ultimate frisbee games in the evening. Sometimes seeing co-workers in a different environment can help a lot.
  • Justin Meisse
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Justin Meisse polycounter lvl 18
    I browse the concept art folder at work
  • Ruz
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Ruz polycount lvl 666
    I find taking LSD helps with my creativity... oh and looking on polycount for pimpage
  • Jesse Moody
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Jesse Moody polycounter lvl 17
    Drive cross country. Look at all the crazy shit you see. Take pictures of everything from run down ranches, old abandoned gas stations, truckers, people at rest areas, dirty toilets and bathrooms. Man I have seen some shit the past two weeks. So many new ideas for stuff.
  • PixelRambo
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Take a shower. Having water rain on your head always gets my noggin into overdrive. Too bad you can't sketch good in the shower...
  • Joao Sapiro
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Joao Sapiro sublime tool
    i usually sleep or watch a DvD dunno...
  • Snowfly
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Snowfly polycounter lvl 18
    Does getting to work early count? Myself and a lot of my colleagues feel more creative and productive in the morning when it's quiet.

I work an illustration job, so scribbling helps to get warmed up and find shapes and ideas rather than forcing them out.

Digging into the written description of whatever I'm working on and really considering how and why something functions or the way it is built is a good way to get the ideas going. Relating ideas from various sources and working them into your art is a good way to seem creative.