Home 3D Art Showcase & Critiques

Pilot WIP - Slight nudity

polycounter lvl 12
Offline / Send Message
Quickel polycounter lvl 12
Hey, I'm working on a vintage pilot who flies a WW1 Fokker DR1 tri-plane and I'm just at a loss on what I could do with her outfit that would be cool. I'm trying for a vintage, yet unique type of feel. I know you guys have some awesome concept artists on here and thought I'd ask for advice!

messing_around_2_912.jpgmessing_around_1_191.jpg

Replies

• Quickel
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Oh and where I'm at with the model...

pilot_base_206.jpg
  • Japhir
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Japhir polycounter lvl 16
    cool idea! the goggles are great! don't really know anything to add to make it more unique...
    keep it up!
  • StJoris
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Good start, i like the goggles and coat for vintage feel, nice idea aswell. I like the left one more, I don't know what you are trying to achieve with the naked boobs, but it really doesn't look sexy. Sexy isn't about showing things, it's about not doing that. I'd say give the girl on the left a shirt. The model is pretty good, but someway the thighs and just under the knees doesn't feel quite right, I;ll leave it to others to point out wether that is grounded by anatomy, as I'm not really accurate with that atm.
  • allyx
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    allyx polycounter lvl 17
    This could be a interesting character, but the character definitely needs a shirt as St Joris said and the one on the left looks better.

I didn't look up any reference for WW1 outfits, but I don't like that type of coat collar with the scarf. The whole outfit on her looks too chunky. If you were aiming for a sexxy, slightly modern look perhaps you could shorten the length of the coat so it doesn't go past the knees. The belt should actually go up a bit higher to give her a long leg look. The bands on the sleeves look ugly on that type of coat.

I might try modeling something like this after I finish my adventurer in the vertex contest.
  • Jaco
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Jaco polycounter lvl 17
    Nice. The lower legs and the feet (very small) are looking a bit deformed though. Smoothing and elongating the convex curve of the calf on the outside of her legs (in the front view) should make it look a lot better, as well as making the feet a bit wider/bigger.
  • Quickel
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Thanks all for the feedback!

Japhir and StJoris, I will work up the coat idea more. I guess sexy is a subjective term and my goal with the sketches was just to play around with some ideas, none of which I was concrete on.

Allyx, I like the idea of the shorter coat!

Jaco, great points that I can work up some...I did plan on boots though so hopefully any slight anatomical issues won't be a huge deal.
  • Quickel
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    some more on the concept taking people's suggestions. i like the short coat much better! i'm not a concept artist, so bear with me...

pilot_clothing2_147.jpg
  • struve
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    struve polycounter lvl 18
    The new Concept looks much better. You basically had a streakier in a trench coat in the first one. I might have gone with more of an Amelia Earhart getup, but with a Nazi twist.
    57.jpg
  • Quickel
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    yeah she looks like she's got the button down shirt there....i'll go with that one. the boots are cool, so maybe i'll go with a more streamlined, high boot with a ton of laces.

thanks!
  • Quickel
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I wanted to not get too far without posting progress. I have more details such as pockets and buttons to put on and overall tweaking. Haven't touched the hands yet. Thanks.

pilot_out_002_179.jpg
  • struve
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    struve polycounter lvl 18
    This is looking great!

• HonkyPunch
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    HonkyPunch polycounter lvl 18
    i'm not sure if it's the angle
    but her face is scary
  • Wendy de Boer
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Wendy de Boer interpolator
    I love the latest version of the concept! It's pretty, girly and spunky. Sadly, this doesn't come through in the model.

The detail on the model is impressive, but I really do agree with Jimmies_the_squirrel on the face. Also, I much prefered the asymmetrical jacket opening from the concept. The crooked collar and only one half of the bra showing really sold it for me, but that's missing in the model. Lastly, I liked the proportions on the concept a lot better as well. The model's torso looks quite clunky and unfeminine.
  • Quickel
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Thanks guys. I appreciate your feedback - it always helps to make things better! I agree 100% on her face, first off. This is an off and on type of project and her head was done a while ago - it's not a "pretty face" and I will certainly be revisiting it.

Here body's not actually chunky; it's the jacket. And I will slim this down. You can see from just the shirt that she still had a bit of feminine form (at least I think so)...so great opinions!

I wish whatever work you did in Mudbox just became a modifier on top of your low poly mesh; anyone know a way to easily fix the base mesh and have it translate into the work you did in Mudbox (for eample if I wanted to adjust a collar?)

Thanks!

pilot_out_001_602.jpg
  • MoP
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    MoP polycounter lvl 18
    You can adjust the base mesh and have it update in Mudbox, but ONLY if you don't add or remove any verts/edges/polys. You can only move and scale existing verts, anything else will mean you'll have to sculpt from scratch again, I think (unless someone knows a clever workaround - not sure if you can select and detach polys in Mudbox).

This model is looking pretty cool so far, the face is better now although still a tad weird, I think it's mainly the cheeks and area around the nostrils which needs more work.
    Also, I totally don't understand the whole open-shirt thing. It just looks strange at the moment. The most likely and believable solution would probably be the "ribbed shirt" idea you posted earlier. I have no idea why a female pilot would want to expose most of her bare chest (or even a bra/bikini). Her goggles imply a First World War style of flying, with open cockpits, so she'd freeze to death if she actually dressed like that.

Just a thought smile.gif

Keep it up though, this could be really cool when finished and textured!
  • Rob Galanakis
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I just presumed she was a stripper in a pilot costume...
  • hawken
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    hawken polycounter lvl 19
    is that a man with breasts? hard to tell...
  • Quickel
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Thanks for the tough love, hawken. As I said earlier, I have plans to redo her face. The whole mindset behind the outfit was I also have a plane I'm modeling and she was going to be posed on it like a pinup and as we all know, they don't make logistic sense most of the time.
  • ohsomogilicious
    you know what i think the open shirt works pretty well. double and triple layers of clothing really does the whole "Rosie the riveter" look justice. Id say add a few more straps to the jacket and maybe actually experiment with short or rolled up sleeves? maybe just on one side. and the concept work with the crooked collar looked real badass u should try to incorporate it into the model if its not too late.

well other than my few comments it looks totally awesome, as well as a total inspiration to me, its great to see a teachers outside work instead of the limits of bradleys educational workflow.

cant wait to see some textures up on there. : )
  • Quickel
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    ohh i like the rolled up sleeve idea. i was thinking a rosie the riveter poster ad might be in store for her. thanks, mog!