Home 3D Art Showcase & Critiques

Cargo container texture

Hello everyone,

This is my first time posting some of my own work. I don't really get to do anything creative or complex at my job, and I never get to take the time to texture. In order to practice some texturing I took this cargo container I made and tried to dress it up as best I could with a 512 x 512 texture.
Perspective01.jpg
Perspective02.jpg
TextureLayout.jpg

I wanted to make each side unique so that I could reuse the prop several times in the same environment without it looking too repetitive. Let me know what you guys think and ways I can improve

Thanks in advance.

Replies

• allyx
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    allyx polycounter lvl 17
    Hi Richard smile.gif

It's not bad for that resolution, but the details are are washed down like an old game from maybe 10 years ago. It might be better practice to go with a higher resolution like 1024 x 1024 if you want to go for a more detailed finished.

Even though you have 2 unique sides the overall texture is very repetitive. Another alternative while staying with a 512 square texture was to divide the mesh up to utilize some of the same parts of the textures. Also the text on the container could have been done as decal using an alpha channel. All of this would have used a little more polys, but would make this piece a much better finish.

The bottom edge of the box is too clean and some of the rust could be orange for a richer look. Just keep practicing and try using some photo references to make things appear more realistic.
  • RELgames
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Hey Allyx,

Thanks for the sugestions. Initially I had plans to do 4 variation of the texture @ 512 x 512 and then fit all four on a 1024 x 1024 texture but as you point out I guess I am living in the past wink.gif

I've not really done decals before, But I am assuming it is just a plane with an alpha channeled texture on it of the text that can be moved around and placed on the containers surface. Is that correct?

Anyway I will probably upgrade the size of the texture and look at roughing up that bottom edge.

Thanks again,
  • SHEPEIRO
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    SHEPEIRO polycounter lvl 17
    i wouldnt make this prop like you have (you could get alot more resoloution and variation by using several differet textures that are tiled.

-main side texture
    - end texture 512x256
    - trim texture 512x64
    - metal detail texture 128x256
    - decals texture (applied either as floating polys or as a layered shader)256*

that would be the same size (if my quick matyhs holds up) but would give you much greater texture res
  • Eric Chadwick
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Ah, but that many texture changes will thrash your vertex cache, it's generally better to pack into a single texture atlas...

http://www.ericchadwick.com/examples/provost/byf2.html
    I think the section "Welcome to Splitsville" explains this issue nicely.
  • adam
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    adam polycounter lvl 19
    One question...

Are you aiming for "photo real"? If you are, use a Photo. Don't waste time handing painting the majority of this texture. No matter how good or how long you take it won't look nearly as good as a photo would.

You can also overlap some UV's to gain more texture space but I am sure thats already been mentioned.
  • RELgames
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Thanks for all the suggestions, everyone. After playing around with it, I laid out the UV's a bit differently by combining the top and bottom sides since no one will probably see the bottom anyway. I'm also bumping the size up and will be implimenting other suggestions as well. I'll repost once I have something new to show.

Thanks again,