Home 3D Art Showcase & Critiques

Elf Warrior - WIP

Hey guys!

This is my very first post and wanted to show you what I'm currently working on for my students.
I started with a base naked body and began adding detail.

I first started with the head, using the planar model method.

WireHead.jpg

Then, started on the body, I didnt want to add too much muscular detail on the upper body and arms because they were replaced with armor parts and normal mapped textures.

WireBody.jpgWireBody2.jpg

This is what I have so far.

elfwar.jpg

So, what do you guys think? I'm still heavy on fine tuning the mesh, lowering tris and adding other parts, like his cape, belt and possibly a helmet, but thats last.

Replies

• StJoris
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Looking good:)!
    some crits though:
    - too many edgeloops around the eye that are not used
    - the edge on the chainmail skirt near his legs doesn't work for me
    - you should do something about your specularity
  • CORE
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    My plans are, after I get done with the model, is to rig and animate him, eventually smile.gif I'm going to use him as an "in-game" animation study, first putting down the basics; idles, walk, run and stuff.

Then, for my advanced animation class, I'll go crazy with attack anims and specialized anims for puzzles, opening things (doors, treasure chests, etc.), jumps, crawl, climb, the cool stuff.
  • CORE
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    The strip along the bottom of his chainmail skirt does look wierd, that was the latest thing I did.

Im having a bit of trouble designing the mid section and the skirt, so thats definitely on my tweak list. I got some ideas drawn out.

I can tone down the spec, heh. Its just a temp thing, I don't plan on texturing it, I gotta get this ready for animation soon.
  • Slaught
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Slaught polycounter lvl 18
    Very cool!
    Another loop for the upperarm couldn´t hurt...the lower arm looks nice and smooth but the bizeps is very blocky.
  • Electro
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Electro polycounter lvl 18
    some pretty nice edgeloops, i look forward to seeing the progress on this one

however the design of the mail armor down the bottom of the skirt is a bit bland, and the slit in it might be a little revealing when animated? hehe :O
  • CORE
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Thanks for the crits so far guys! smile.gif

I'm working on a simple design for the bottom skirt area, don't want to go too crazy. I had some other designs for it, but I want to see how this turns out. I sketched out some concepts for the mid section; the bottom belt piece, the crystal orb buckle, the cloth and a skirt trim design.

midtest.jpg
  • StJoris
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I like the belt buckle of the middle one, and the skirt on the left is nice to break up the symmetry. Also it seems a little strange the upper parts of the legs don't have anything on them? They are pretty important, hehe just clothing it up would make it decent already, unless you want him to run around in his undies and armour.
  • almighty_gir
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    almighty_gir ngon master
    why so many edges defining nothing in the legs, when the arms have no loops and look like boxes? =[
  • CORE
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I definitely have to edit the legs, I had 2 versions, one with low poly and this one that defines the muscles in the leg. This version i used for subdivision purposes, but I'm going to change them as soon as I'm done with the mid body. I also tweaked the arms, they look better now.

newarms.jpg
  • daghen
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    daghen polycounter lvl 18
    pretty cool armor suit ...agree for teh arm you should define it more to get smoother shape
  • verybad
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    verybad polycounter lvl 17
    Cool, normally when I see Elf "Warrior" they miss a lot of the second word, they look like nancylads and soft. This guy looks like he could kick some ass and wouldn't bother taking names cause the list is just to long.
  • Marisa
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Marisa polycounter lvl 17
    Those scaley things that comes down like a skirt and on the right arm, is that supposed to be chainmail? If so, you might want to make them more like circles instead of scales, unless your going for fish armor, thats perfect!:)
  • Cybroxide
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Cybroxide polycounter lvl 17
    Looks pretty freakin sweet man!

as far as your paintovers go I think the 3rd looks the best, but the of belt looks a bit painful to where it lies now ooo.gif .
    The beast design on the shoulder could use bit more detailing but nothing you couldnt do with textures or zbrush.

@marisa I think hes going for scale mail type thing but i could be mistaken.
  • CORE
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Yeah, its scalemail, not chainmail, heh.

The belt design is gonna change a bit, make it not as pointy at the bottom :P
  • CORE
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Coming together... slowly, lol. This break has been most productive. Between modeling this elf, building a rigging tutorial website, defeating the Brotherhood of Nod, discovering the horrors of Chernobyl and slaying the Sisters of Fate, things have been pretty hectic, lol.

Check it...

newelf.jpg

Added some greaves and finished his mid section, decided to skip on the design for the bottom of his skirt and move onto the cloth pieces.
  • Japhir
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Japhir polycounter lvl 16
    wow very nice! wondering what direction your going with the textures.
  • CORE
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Thanks Japhir! smile.gif

As far as textures goes, thats as far as I'm going for now. I want to finish this model soon so I can rig and animate it.

• mvelasquez
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Your facial topology work is very good, i saved it as a ref. I concur, Stalker is a pretty sweet game laugh.gif
  • Marisa
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Marisa polycounter lvl 17
    Very Nice, is he going to be a bald elf, or is there going to be hair there in the future?
  • seforin
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    seforin polycounter lvl 17
    this model has come a really long way , The topology of the face is really detailed , and the over all armor design is very deatailed,

I noticed on the back theres a weird blackish line in the center on your last render, is that due to symmetry or is that just a WIP area?

Overall this model is coming out amazingly cool, I hope to see a cape or something with this guy to! smile.gif
  • CORE
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Thanks Velasquez, I'm always happy to provide references, especially to fellow Art Institute students. smile.gif

Marisa, this elf definitely has hair, I'm saving that for last.

Seforin, the seam in the back is actually a separation, the breastplate is spit into two pieces. So when the elf moves , the armor will shift freely without any stiffness.
  • Quickel
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Quickel polycounter lvl 12
    yeah i was going to suggest the same sort of hair on his shoulder armor to match the boots, but if you give him longer hair i think it'll balance the character well.
  • stimpack
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    stimpack polycounter lvl 10
    [ QUOTE ]
    Thanks Velasquez, I'm always happy to provide references, especially to fellow Art Institute students. smile.gif

[/ QUOTE ]

hah rad i graduated from there! shame my chracter teachers wernt this bad ass =( i coulda learned alot from u.
  • CORE
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I started on the cloth piece, gonna get this out soon. Check it; clothtest.jpg

I'm still tweaking it a bit, I've been lookin at some refs over at Kolby Jukes's place. That guy has his wrinkles and folds technique down, dude is amazing.

I want to be able to get a better grasp on cloth folds, it definitely helps the look of any model. Some people suggest I use ZBrush or Mudbox, but I have better control over the topology when modeling it by hand.

I still need to tweak up some of the bulges at the top right corner and mid left area. Also, I need to add some folds around the semi circle cut and the bottom left area.

Tell me what you think. grin.gif