Home 3D Art Showcase & Critiques

Metafly

allyx
polycounter lvl 17
Offline / Send Message
allyx polycounter lvl 17
Hi,

I am back again with another aircraft I modelled and textured for a Torque project. The poly count is 3000 triangles and only has a color and transparency map.

The interior was not needed, but I added it in later utilizing the empty UV space with a very low pixel density, but it looked decent as slightly transparent and reflective.

I only do this as hobby, but am looking to find a job in this field so I welcome any comments or critques.

f8e33ebf1e.jpg

th.2302c45b2a.jpg Wire frame without lighting

th.7d517c51a1.jpg

Does anyone have any links of a walk cycle for a similar 4 legged setup to this design?

My last model I posted here.

Replies

• mikebart
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    very nice design man, I like the way you can see how the legs retract into the hull compartment.
    I think the cockpit looks a little bit square at the front but it looks good especialy with those details you put in there with little cost
  • Ged
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Ged interpolator
    that looks really fun! I like it. It does have a very civilian feel to it...and the cannon in the front hmmm is it used to put out fires?
  • Wells
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Wells polycounter lvl 18
    Pretty fun design, though I've my doubts that the legs would fit in that compartment smile.gif

The texture could use some loving... it comes off as very flat. This thing is mostly metal, yet it has no sharp highlights that might indicate it. In fact, it looks like the entire thing is made from one constant material... there are no changes that would help break it up into integrated parts. This makes it end up looking very ho-hum game-arty.

I'm curious as to what purpose those wings serve, as at first I thought the whole back part spun like a helicopter turned sideways, but now I see the arms are more or less locked in place, with a wheel-pivot holding each individual wing. Looking forward to the animation.
  • allyx
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    allyx polycounter lvl 17
    Thanks guys,
    I was just following the concept pic someone else made for the project. It wasn't a clear and detailed pic to work from. Perhaps I should have improvised and altered the design more to complete the design so that it would appear more functional.

Ged: That is actually not a weapon, but I made up something that ended up resembling a hose, not that it is one. But it sure looks like it on the high poly.

Sectaurs: You are right about the legs not fitting in their cleanly on the low poly version above, but the high poly does actually fit. The leg room and parts got kind of chunky in comparisson to the high poly. I will try breaking down the metal shell into more parts.

th.a8897f4f50.jpg

I might make an area for the lights and include a normal and specular map for it later for my portfolio version.
  • Por@szek
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Por@szek polycounter lvl 18
    Its greatly done, and looks funny, so massive on so thin legs. smile.gif Cool work.
  • Wells
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Wells polycounter lvl 18
    Ah, the hi poly version is nice. Seems to have a bit more charm than the low poly managed to capture.

And don't break down the shell into more pieces... what I meant is that everything on it now has the same spec and texture quality... try changing up the textures on the pieces that are clearly supposed to be different objects.
  • allyx
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    allyx polycounter lvl 17
    Thanks for the input guys.

I made a specular map for it and fixed up my lighting to all white color than slight blue on the pics of the first post above. I am satisfied with the results, but I am wondering if I am going about it the right way or will this only look good with my Maya light setup.

th.e0e99fdf8b.jpgRendered with specular map color and same specular color map also applied to specular roll off

th.ae6ff457d9.jpg

I used Maya to generate the normals am using the JSNormalMap plugin to render out the normals, but the faces with that have flipped UVs on the same object don't look right. I tried applying 4 different variations of normals with flipped RGB and even reversed some of the faces, but it still didn't render out properly on those areas.
    Is there a way to correct this in Maya?
  • RELgames
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Hey, I recognize that there Metafly wink.gif

Great work, Allyx.
  • Nogan
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Great stuff!

The propellers/wings on the back remind me a lot of nail files. Very handy when escaping from jail (I'm told).
  • dj snyder
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    dj snyder polycounter lvl 14
    I really like how the interior seats look through the smoked-glass looking cockpit. Really cool, makes me think of Roald Dahl for some reason.