Home Technical Talk

Chamfer troubles in 3DS Max 8

polycounter lvl 18
Offline / Send Message
X-One polycounter lvl 18
Hi there,

Chances are this may be a very simple problem to solve, but I've been trying everything I can think of to fix it with no success.

To begin, the mesh I'm working with was imported as an obj, (that may be the problem right there, but ain't too sure). Upon importing I have converted it to both an editable poly and editable mesh. I enter edge selection mode and select the loop I want to chamfer.

This is where my problem occurs:

Regardless of whether I attempt to enter a value manually or use the cursor to drag it out, it seems as though the edge I am attempting to chamfer snaps itself to the closest loops on either side.

btw, if I create a new scene and create a box, it chamfers just fine.

I'm new to Max, so I may be missing something, but any help/suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

Replies

• Joao Sapiro
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Joao Sapiro sublime tool
  • MoP
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    MoP polycounter lvl 18
    Could be that your object is really tiny in the scene, and therefore even small chamfer values create huge changes.

You could try scaling the model up by about 1000% (and remember to Reset XForm - it's in the Utilities panel, if you can't find it, press F1 and look it up in the help)... then try chamfering again.

Also, if you've imported an OBJ, it's possible some points have become unwelded, which can produce problems. Just select all the vertices in the mesh, and hit Weld Selected. Again make sure you use a small value for this, otherwise it might weld verts you don't want it to.
  • X-One
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    X-One polycounter lvl 18
    Still playing with it, I think I discovered the problem. I believe the scale of my object was too small, and as such, any numeric entry greater than .01 mm was larger than distance between the two adjacent loops.

Aside from that, is there any way of adjusting the "fineness" of the cursor? I suppose I could blow the object up 1000% and then scale if back down afterwards, just wondering if I can get around doing it that way.

just for the sake of clarification:
    [img]http://x_one.homestead.com/files/chamfer_troubles.jpg[/img]

p.s. for some odd reason I always find that I can't figure out a problem until I ask for help.

MoP, you seem to have posted while I was typing this up/setting a screenshot. Pretty much, seem like you're on the money.
  • FatAssasin
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    FatAssasin polycounter lvl 18
    When you're importing and exporting an obj file in Max, there's a "Vertex Scale" parameter that will automatically scale it up or down on import/export. Use that so you don't have to scale it up and down manually in the scene.