Home Contests & Challenges Archives

Dominance War II - EVIL

polycounter lvl 18
Offline / Send Message
EVIL polycounter lvl 18
EVIL is a point of view? Hitler was made "evil" because of his youth? because of the people he met in his life, his mind formed a twisted and sickening point of view considered EVIL by most people?

.. that may be..

But the race I will be introducing you boys, girls and old men to, will have no such thing. They do everything with waking eyes, perfectly knowable that what they do is considered in most races to be absolute EVIL. They rub their souls against the scorching veils of hell craving for violence. <font color="red">A LUST FOR CHAOS & PAIN!</font>

Let us fight this war!

Replies

• EVIL
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    EVIL polycounter lvl 18
    Here is my start of this skirmish between digital art realms

envenom-Skull.jpg

Its the skull of my creature, the next update will reveal more of how this skull will look with 2 moving upper jaw parts.
  • katzeimsack
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    katzeimsack polycounter lvl 17
    just like it! you really can paint!
  • gauss
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    gauss polycounter lvl 18
    you talk a good game, but it appears that you back it up well enough smile.gif why so small of a picture size for such a nice looking sketch? we need bigger and more often! laugh.gif
  • spacemonkey
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    spacemonkey polycounter lvl 18
    cool I shall expect good pimp here
  • EVIL
  • Slaught
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Slaught polycounter lvl 18
    Whoa.
    Looks great!
  • Emil Mujanovic
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Emil Mujanovic polycounter lvl 18
    You need to register an account over at gameartisans.org and while logged in to the forum, you'll be able to register your entry. It's a little dodgy, as you have to use the same window you logged in with and make sure you have the "remember me" tickbox checked.
    Good luck dude, looking forward to seeing more work from you.

-caseyjones
  • MoP
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    MoP polycounter lvl 18
    very cool, very evil!
    looking forward to more smile.gif
  • - FredH -
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    - FredH - polycounter lvl 18
    Nice start, it looks promising smile.gif

caseyjones --> Perhaps you have cookies disabled or something because I can close my window, open another, and enter my entry page again and again. (such an annoything avatar!)
  • killingpeople
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    killingpeople polycounter lvl 18
    nice brushwork! u have some wicked style.
  • EVIL
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    EVIL polycounter lvl 18
    Its night now so ill have to wait until morning when dad is on his way to work, to scan some stuff, I don't want to wake him up with my rummaging. So i'l update my story around my creature

I'd called him dolor because its Latin for "pain" which I thought was fitting.

My creature will be of a alien race, which at will can mutate their form to the task at hand.

Because this is hard to show in one image I will show them in one form, namely the form of a stealthy swift maneuverable close, to medium range melee attacker.

They have a compact natural armored vicious body with an aliens like exoskeleton look, mixed with the exoskeleton look of insects.

It will have 2 powerful athletic legs who can rotate in any direction making them highly maneuverable (If you have seen the gears in the MGS4 videos you know what I mean with maneuverable).
    2 arms with big long hands that are powerful enough to do some serious damage. Its 2 spines run from the middle, over the side of the but out into 2 long tails which on each end, a blade. That can both be clicked into one large blade held by the tails or by the 2 arms. This blade could, like its body mutate into other forms needed for a task. spear, ax, large shuuriken? you name it. The tail is very dangerous, it has a very sharp end blade which you'd think at first that it is linked together to be like the pin of a scorpions tail. but before you know it the tail splits and one gets you from behind or the 2 operate as a scizzor and gone is your head.

The body also at strategic points secrets a poison which kills cells around the wounds and creates a telepathic link to themselves to work as a pain drug so wounds made by the hands, tail, feet etc.. start its rotting process. so if the dolor's enemy gets hurt by him they will die a very slow and painful death. with the dolor getting a nice telepathic shot of pain. So thats why they have a very malice habit of cutting their enemy's up so they can't fight back anymore and walk away.. seeking more opponents. leaving the victims behind in their pool of blood, pain and wounds who are rotting fast. And the dolor still thirsty for more pain inflicting and recieving.

These aliens have no central leader, but everybody cooperates into the decision making by sharing in a collective of fellow memory's that add to a large telekinetic think thank. Every unit knows what they need to do getting intelligence from other units including air units . So hiding is futile you can't run because they are faster, you can't out maneuver them because they are smarter. you cant afford to get close and risc getting cut up because it would be a certain death anyway.

Well enemy's of polycount, what can you do against a total adaptable, deadly, fearless and collective thinking enemy who gets off at inflicting pain and who know where you are!

We will come at you in our ships, we have no leader to take out, and we will keep coming no matter what. You'd have to destroy every last one to kill us. If you don't, we will keep coming. Killing your brothers, raping your women and children making them rot from the inside! we wouldn't want to miss out on cutting up flesh of (possible) enemy's now would we!

Pictures will follow tomorrow.
  • EVIL
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    EVIL polycounter lvl 18
    dolor.jpg

I'm way behind with this concept work so after this one I will show how the body looks and how the body is "attached" to the legs.
  • MoP
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    MoP polycounter lvl 18
    Very cool and interesting backstory, I like the thought and depth you've put into that.

The concept is pretty nice too, although it seems oddly unbalanced to me, like the legs have too much mass compared to the body and head.
  • EVIL
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    EVIL polycounter lvl 18
    Yup, I need to redo the legs. But since I am way behind schedule.. (5 days) I will be doing that in 3d. Also, there will be 1 bony tail attached to each leg, so 2.. which will hold a blade. I still need to draw the arms, but I'm not sure if I am going to draw them now, since I am a bit behind.

anyway, You see the cylinders on the legs? those are big piercings that are placed behind muscles. (imagine how painful that would be for you) So these pierce trough the whole leg, so there can me armor hung on them. I am calling it armor but they hardly have a function, maybe they will be a way to identify rank.
  • EVIL
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    EVIL polycounter lvl 18
    TAILBLADE.jpg

This is the Blade held by the dolor's tails.. Its made of 2 parts which each could be used as an axe if you hold it on the spike, or like a trenchspike.
  • Spark
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Spark polycounter lvl 18
    Looking killer Evil, kinda lost on how this will look in its final form, but love the style of the concept.

Spark
  • EVIL
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    EVIL polycounter lvl 18
    I'm whipping up the essential 3d grids in max so I can make a nice accurate 3d concept. So hopefully I will have that done at the end of next week. I don't need it, but I will have to have a good image for the concept part of the contest to get some judges attention wink.gif
  • richkid
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    richkid polycounter lvl 13
    do you have any sketches of the over all look of the character, cause its kinda hard to tell what the hell is going on.

give us something to drool over
  • Jamaludin
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Jamaludin polycounter lvl 18
    Nice you're actually doing something haha, keep at it. Love the sketches and am ofcourse very familiar with the race.
    I like the direction your takeing it, good luck !
  • EVIL
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    EVIL polycounter lvl 18
    Base model
    dolorbasemod1.jpg
    dolorbasemod2.jpg
    dolorbasemod3.jpg
    dolorbasemod4.jpg
    dolorbasemod5.jpg

Not sure if I will give him tails or try something else I have to fimble around a bit with the arms.. I hate them atm..

I will extrude some planes around the legs and torso so his body will look a bit more layerd.. I guess I will need an alpha map afterall
  • rooster
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    rooster mod
    concept looks bizarre, love it :] hope you finish this!
  • EVIL
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    EVIL polycounter lvl 18
    DOLOR-model-mudscreen-fin1.jpg
    DOLOR-model-mudscreen-fin2.jpg
    DOLOR-model-mudscreen-fin3.jpg
    Finished mudbox model, I hope you like, now its all up to exporting the HR and LR models. The LR model isnt optimized fully yet so that has to be done.. but that will be completed today.. and then uvmapping and rendering the normal maps in max. and after that I will create the diffuse, color spec and bump map
  • rollin
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    rollin polycounter
    don´t realy understand it but looks like you won´t meet it in a dark alley laugh.gif

so, cool to have you in our team wink.gif
    keep it up.. looks nice smile.gif
  • indian_boy
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    woah! the shape kinda' confused me at first, but when it became clear... well, id agree with rollin about the dark alley thing. Looking forward to seeing this done. but make sure the way u pose it make s it easier to understand, cuz right now i got kinda confused about what's what... simple stuff like: is it a biped?

good luck!
  • EVIL
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    EVIL polycounter lvl 18
    unfortionatly I am a modeling noob, this is propably my first ever almost fully completed model and I never took the time to learn how to rig it..
  • EVIL
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    EVIL polycounter lvl 18
    DOLOR-normmapped-1.jpg
    test normal map.. there are some annoying dots in my normal maps, 1 pixel sized dots and I can't get rid of them, anyone know why it does that? I rendered the normal maps in max 8, with render to texture. And I just noticed, that I forgot to include the weapon.. so I have to move some uv's to make space for it.. wich might make me need to rerender the normal map, or i'l adjust it in photoshop..

edit: couple more angles

DOLOR-normmapped-2.jpg
    DOLOR-normmapped-3.jpg
    DOLOR-normmapped-4.jpg
  • rollin
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    rollin polycounter
    cracy like hell but it rocks..

if you cant get rid of these dots (never heard about that..)i would render the map bigger than needed and scale it down.. (as long as it doesn´t kill the overall sharpness)
  • Emil Mujanovic
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Emil Mujanovic polycounter lvl 18
    I had reservations about this entry, but now seeing the lo-poly with the finished normal map, It actually looks really nice. I can just imagine this creature as a "shadow". Once this is textured, we could seriously be looking at a top3 entry.

-caseyjones
  • EVIL
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    EVIL polycounter lvl 18
    wow thanks casey and rollin, oh and I'l try that, rendering it bigger, it might even produce a sharper normal map if I then resize it to 2048 x 2048 with the alienskin blowup plugin.

I'm having some fun figuring out the texture maps..
    DOLOR-normmapped5.jpg
    I'l be using a normal, diffuse, bump, specular color and a Glossiness map

The extended deadling is a welcome coming, it means I can paint the maps without to mutch stress and add another thing I was planning but scrapped since the deadline was getting tighter.. anyone knows why the deadline got extended to march 26th?
  • rooster
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    rooster mod
    do you have supersampling enabled? that should help with dots
    edit: it looks cool too btw smile.gif
  • rollin
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    rollin polycounter
    yeeeeeeeeees. the sampling was it.. i always thought i heard about it .. i realy think this should solve the problem .. if not its supposed to solve it wink.gif
  • Mr Delish
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    looking real good. the human like hands boosts the creep factor way up. smile.gif keep going!
  • cyborgguineapig
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    cyborgguineapig polycounter lvl 14
    Always admired your stuff for being so original. Keep up the good work.
  • frostymoose
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    frostymoose polycounter lvl 17
    This entry just came out of nowhere and became one of my favorites! Hope you can sort out your normal map problem.
  • EVIL
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    EVIL polycounter lvl 18
    Normal map issue's are long fixed thanks to xform (thnx poop!). I'm working on finishing this thing.. I'l keep you guys in wait for the final result! Mwuahahah... isnt that evil of me.. lol
  • EVIL
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    EVIL polycounter lvl 18
    Its finished! I hope you all like it!
    FINAL-w00t.jpg
  • Steve Schulze
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Steve Schulze polycounter lvl 18
    There isn't enough abstract character design in this industry. A really interesting design and great execution. Nice one.
  • wizo
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    wizo polycounter lvl 17
    this really has the coolness factor to it. Id just wish for an entire shot of the model. Awesome job, I like this a lot.
  • rollin
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    rollin polycounter
    too cracy, too cool .. smile.gif i want to see it moving
  • EVIL
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    EVIL polycounter lvl 18
    here are my entry notes:

[ QUOTE ]
    Dolor's,

-

They are the result of our weapons research and development program.
    The request was to use our knowledge of gen manipulation to create a super soldier. Able to adapt instantly to its surrounding, with high agility, stealth and mobility, the dolor’s became known on the battlefield as 'shadows'.

Able to rapidmutate* into a form specified for the task at hand, they can make themselves master over any terrain, and overcome any obstacle.

The specimen I am showing you is currently in a form perfect for close range combat, defense, stealth and assassination. There are many more forms of dolor’s out there, able to sprout wings in the blink of an eye and take off into the sky is just a hint of the many possibilities this creature delivers.

-

The dolor has a 3 part body, one part is the torso, and the other 2 parts are the legs. The reason for this concept for this is that the body parts where grown around 3 spheres, one parent sphere for the torso, and 2 child spheres for the legs. The child spheres float in a consistent orbit around the parent sphere, and the 360 x,y and z motions are controlled by the dolor via telepathy.

Telepathy is also used for sending and receiving information packages from the large dolor collective and channels them to the brain of a dolor. Via the collective dolor brain wave network, dolors are able to receive and send information to this information hive, which can be used to create optimal tactics.

You can see it as a sort of subconscious voice that accurately, with help of visuals and feeling directs you towards a victim that has been spotted by a dolor in the air.

-

A dolor’s motivation is receiving pain. We developed a poison that secretes all over the body and establish a telepathic link to the dolor. The poison keeps the nerves of body parts alive, establishes a telepathic link between the nerve endings and the dolor, and makes them feel pain. The poision has a side effect we recently discovered, it also keeps the victims alive.

This is their drive force, killing for pain, and leaving you alive suffering your rotting wounds. Making the dolor’s scream into the sky with a high pitched rasp as they bathe in pain…

-

*Rapid Mutation, changing form in a few seconds

[/ QUOTE ]
  • RazorBladder
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    RazorBladder polycounter lvl 18
    Personally, I think the stand brings this down, it takes your focus away from the actual character, you could've just done away with the head altogether.

I would also have changed the angle so it wasn't quite so much like looking through a left viewport.

A shame, because the character itself is bloody fantastic!
  • chico
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    chico polycounter lvl 17
    that thing is just awesome and i agree the base kinda distracts the focus from the model

anyway, looks cool and original

chico
  • EVIL
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    EVIL polycounter lvl 18
    yeah well thats how it goes with all contests right laugh.gif, as soon as you wake up the next morning and take another look at your entry you see a milion things you'd rather have changed.. but helas.. another lessen learned tho! I agree now.. that I should have removed the head .. it ate up time anyway and it could have been easely replaced by something a tad simpeler.

this is the winning pose I send in btw
    winning-pose.jpg

and thnks for the positive comments! laugh.gif

good luck all!