Home General Discussion

A Song of Ice and Fire: HBO series!!

polycounter lvl 18
Offline / Send Message
aesir polycounter lvl 18
I know a lot of you guys are fans of George R.R. Martin's work, so you'll probably be as shocked to hear this as I was. Fuckiiiiinnnng insane.

heres the variety article: http://www.variety.com/article/VR1117957532.html?categoryid=14&cs=1

and here's george's live journal
http://grrm.livejournal.com/

I can't believe the entire series is gonna become a HBO series, and with a good writer to boot. Its gonna be one season per book apparently, so a total of 7 seasons. I just hope it doesnt get cancelled in the middle. HBO consistently puts out high quality series, so I've got some nice expectations for this.

Replies

• gavku
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    gavku polycounter lvl 18
    That's awesome!!.....My copy of "A Game Of Thrones" is so worn out from having lent it to friends, who have then gone on to read the rest of the series.....
  • blankslatejoe
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    blankslatejoe polycounter lvl 18
    theres no other way to pull the books off--even an extended 8 hour miniseries wouldn't be enough to capture all the crazy stuff that happens in those books...this is the perfect fit!
  • Tulkamir
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Tulkamir polycounter lvl 18
    Wow... excuse me while I go change my pants.
  • Ryno
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Ryno polycounter lvl 18
    Holy crap! This is unbelievable. I would only trust HBO do do the books justice, but been an addict to The Wire, Deadwood, and Rome, I'm confident that they can pull it off.

It'll be an ideal HBO series. Sex, violence, political intrigues, and supernatural horror. How could you ask for more?
  • Luxury
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Luxury polycounter lvl 18
    [ QUOTE ]
    "They tried for 50 years to make 'Lord of the Rings' as one movie before Peter Jackson found success making three," Martin said. "My books are bigger and more complicated, and would require 18 movies. Otherwise, you'd have to choose one or two characters."

[/ QUOTE ]
    That's one hell of an ego.

Never heard of the series. Maybe I'll have to check it out. Sounds like everyone here recommends it?
  • Wells
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Wells polycounter lvl 18
    Its not really ego... his books are larger and more complicated.

I'd get HBO just for this when it comes out.
  • Joshua Stubbles
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Joshua Stubbles polycounter lvl 19
    Never heard of him :P
    Suppose I should read the books as well.
  • aesir
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    aesir polycounter lvl 18
    [ QUOTE ]
    theres no other way to pull the books off--even an extended 8 hour miniseries wouldn't be enough to capture all the crazy stuff that happens in those books...this is the perfect fit!

[/ QUOTE ]

Thats why its not a 8 hour miniseries. Its 7 SEASONS of EPISODES!

[ QUOTE ]
    [ QUOTE ]
    "They tried for 50 years to make 'Lord of the Rings' as one movie before Peter Jackson found success making three," Martin said. "My books are bigger and more complicated, and would require 18 movies. Otherwise, you'd have to choose one or two characters."

[/ QUOTE ]
    That's one hell of an ego.

Never heard of the series. Maybe I'll have to check it out. Sounds like everyone here recommends it?

[/ QUOTE ]

Yea, thats not ego, thats just fact. His books are really long and complicated with myriads of characters.
  • Emil Mujanovic
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Emil Mujanovic polycounter lvl 18
    I was just telling my housemate how it would be awesome if they made the books into a mini-series... FUCKING STOKED!
    I blame Gavku for getting me into it. Hanging for the next book though.

-caseyjones
  • blankslatejoe
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    blankslatejoe polycounter lvl 18
    the martin books make tolkien look like the berstein bears. Seriously..I mean I can understand the importance of tolkien in context--you wouldn't have martin and others like him without middle earth first...but damn if martin doesn't up the notches quite a bit, particularly after the first couple hundred pages into the series, it takes a bit for things to get rolling
  • Luxury
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Luxury polycounter lvl 18
    Well, at the very least, they should change the title. When I first looked in this thread I was fully expecting to see a funny youTube video of a Celine-Dion-like-ice-skating-extravaganza.

Way to get my hopes up. frowny-face frown.gif
  • motives
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    motives polycounter lvl 18
    this is way cool. I just startede reading the series and really enjoyed the first book. Nice timing from my side then smile.gif
  • foreverendering
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    foreverendering polycounter lvl 12
    <--- BIG TIME George RR Martin fan right here. Those books are my favorites and I can't wait for Dance With Dragons.

I was very excited to hear this news! I've been crossing my fingers something like this might happen!
  • LordScottish
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    LordScottish polycounter lvl 18
    [ QUOTE ]
    Its not really ego... his books are larger and more complicated.

[/ QUOTE ]
    Yes, more complicated doesn't mean better. If he'd say this, then he would have a big ego. I have to give these books a try someday, they sound interesting.
  • TomDunne
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    TomDunne polycounter lvl 18
    I wonder if he'll have any trouble casting roles that will be so obviously temporary. ASoIaF has a massive death toll for a regular TV series.
  • foreverendering
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    foreverendering polycounter lvl 12
    Another issue is that some of main characters are kids (Bran, Arya, Sanser), which could be a problem considering the length of the series...
  • gavku
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    gavku polycounter lvl 18
    I'm curious to see who they get to play Tyrion and Briene.