Home General Discussion

iD Tech Camps - Good Stepping Stone? Or TRAP???

polycounter lvl 17
Offline / Send Message
animeboyz polycounter lvl 17
Hello again.

Thanks again for your advice on the art test a month ago. I did my best. But now I have a new question.

I am currently working in before school and after school childcare through the YMCA latch-key program, and doing a bit of job hunting and came across this:

http://internaldrive.com/courses.htm

Summer camps for teens teaching them the basics on game modding and modeling.... I applied today, and about 6-8 hours later I got an e-mail requiesting a time/date to set up a phone interview.

Now... nothing is easy, and this seems TOO easy (or like it doesn't pay well :-\, but if I can make connections, work on my portfolio and work with kids, which I have grown to enjoy) BUT is this a Trap, or is this a legit job.

What are your thoughts? Anyone with previous experience?

Replies

• TomDunne
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    TomDunne polycounter lvl 18
    300px-AckbarStanding.jpg

Honestly, I have no idea, but I'd guess it's not that big a deal. Teaching 13-year olds a three week course on game development is going to be extremely superficial at best; doing this won't hurt your resume, but I don't think it'll help that much either.
  • Marine
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Marine polycounter lvl 18
    at the very least you'll have a good laugh at each students visionary dragonball z meets counter-strike game idea
  • Malekyth
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Malekyth polycounter lvl 18
    ... WHOA. Dude, if you don't immediately start recruiting for that mod, I WILL.

/me cracks his knuckles as lines of pure dragon power erupt across the sky behind him.
  • Asmuel
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Asmuel polycounter lvl 17
    lol Im suprised they can use that name, you know what Im talking about laugh.gif I assume theyre not affiliated with you know who
  • Penzer
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Penzer polycounter lvl 17
    I taught an intro to 3d Animation course over summer and spring break at my old highschool. The students were ages 10-15, and I a lot of them did a lot better than you would think. I taught it each break for two and a bit years, and I had a great time doing it.It was using Max 5, primitives, basic static meshes, the prefab textures that max comes with, plenty of fun.
  • sonic
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    sonic polycounter lvl 18
    Do it. It WILL help your resume because employers will see that you kept busy pursuing your passion and helping others pursue the same. It may not seem that big, but if you keep doing side projects and little things along the way it will really add up to an impressive display.
  • Jay Evans
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Jay Evans polycounter lvl 18
    I also got started by teaching kids camps. Its a great way to learn the software inside out. You wouldn't believe the questions they come up with, or the creative ways they can totally break any 3d program:P