Home 3D Art Showcase & Critiques

My first head

jaalto
polycounter lvl 13
Offline / Send Message
jaalto polycounter lvl 13
Hi

WiP
This is actually my second 3d work ever and I'm sure there are thousands of mistakes I've done so far.

I'm still trying to get familiar with all the tools. smirk.gif

perspective.jpg
facefl.jpg

Head looks quite odd from the left atm. Much more tweaking (and many many cigarettes) before that actually might look like something.

All the criticism would be very helpful. Tweaking same model for a long time (I'm slow in 3d) makes me "blind" to find major problems that everyone else can see immediately wink.gif
¨
- Merecraft

ps. And yeah, my first 3d model can be found under the topic of "low-poly characters" laugh.gif

Replies

• ElysiumGX
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    ElysiumGX polycounter lvl 18
    i remember my first.

good start. did you use reference, because some of your shapes are odd. and the eyes look to be too far apart. the edge layout could be smoother.
  • jaalto
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Thanks Elysium,

True, eyes should be closer. I didnt notice that before

I also noticed that mouth(lips) and chin are too far ahead.

Actually I lost a reference pic somewhere after I had made all the major shapes.

After that I've been doing this just the way that "looks right" in my eyes.

I think I'll take a reference pics from myself and use those with this one. At least I'll get an avatar picture to these forums at last wink.gif.
  • ElysiumGX
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    ElysiumGX polycounter lvl 18
    the lip and chin are too far forward, making the profile appear odd. also, the 3 edges at the tip of the nose give it a sharp unnatural shape, take one out. use a profile image as a reference to get the right shapes.

here are some other areas that should be retouched: tempcrit.jpg

as well as some lines to suggest preferred edge loops to use when designed a face. look up more instruction on the use of edge loops. it's handy.

post again soon with progress.
  • jaalto
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Thanks again for the picture! Really useful for me. I'll drink one or two beers and relax for a moment. After that I'll continue with this one smile.gif
  • jaalto
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Just a quick update. Havent got much time to continue with this training smile.gif. Today I rebuilt the nose and tweaked a bit. I'll try to get this finished version before friday. At least I can make some kind of goblin's face from this one quite easily laugh.gif

Then I can start another head with good reference pictures.

Thanks for the previous tips. Those were great, I am not yet grin.gif
    At least I've learnt two things:
    I really need to have good reference pics before I start modeling.
    I must not fear to delete polygons and redo everything again =)

edesta.jpg
    persp.jpg