Home Technical Talk

Newbie normal map Q

polycounter lvl 17
Offline / Send Message
ChaosEidolon polycounter lvl 17
So i have this normal map on my boar...and as you may notice the torso normals seem to be flipped. Simply flipping the UVs in UVW unwrap doesnt seem to solve it, so I'm thinking its maybe just on one the channels that need to be fixed?
Any of you smart people know what i can do to remedy that?

normalquestion.jpg

Replies

• MoP
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    MoP polycounter lvl 18
    Looks like the red and green channels are inverted there.

What program are you rendering this in?
    It's possible that the shader it's using can't handle mirrored normals very well, you might want to try a different shader or view it in a different program (like XNormal, for example) to see if the problem occurs there too.
    If this normal-map was all baked in one pass, there shouldn't be any inverted sections since it should all be rendered the same way, therefore I'd check the shader before physically editing the normal map's channels themselves.
  • ChaosEidolon
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    ChaosEidolon polycounter lvl 17
    You were right on MoP. I inverted the Green channel in PS and it fixed it.

I think my error was in 3dS when i unwrapped the low poly. I must have flipped the normals but then i would have figured id be able to remedy that by flipping them back. I dont think it's a problem with the application settings, because if that was the case id expect everything to be flipped, not just that one section.

The normal was generated inside of MudBox with it's texture bake tool.

This is kinda a patch though, so ill keep looking to see if i can find the source of the problem.

thanks a lot!