Home 3D Art Showcase & Critiques

Marine

Mongrelman
polycounter lvl 18
Offline / Send Message
Mongrelman polycounter lvl 18
Lo, back again.

This is a character for our mod (Black Mesa). It is the high poly (obviously) for one of the marine variants. Done in XSI (well, used zbrush to tweak some proportions on the head), but I'll probably go in and give some zbrush love to some parts.

highpoly1beautyrq1.jpg
highpoly1wirebf5.jpg

Replies

• Miguelito
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Miguelito polycounter lvl 18
    Nice work. But I'd remove two of those front packs
  • low odor
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    low odor polycounter lvl 17
    Cool. Only crit is that the hands looks a wee bit spindly....Give hims some Man hands
  • Jaco
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Jaco polycounter lvl 17
    Looking good, nice to see some good old poly modelling. Everything is looking good, but the face could use a bit more tweaking, the naslobial folds are a bit too pronounced, and the eyes can maybe be pulled back a bit in the side view.
  • noritsune
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    noritsune polycounter lvl 17
    hey Lupus this looks super!

only thing I'd volunteer is that there seems to be a bit of difference quality-wise between the top half (which is excellent) and the bottom half (which is just ok). I'd consider giving the proportions of the legs, especially the pants and their length, a second look - as well as the boots, potentially. I unfortunately don't know enough about these uniforms to comment more specifically.
  • erik!
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I'm diggin this a whole bunch. Hurry up and finish the mod! I want play!
  • LordScottish
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    LordScottish polycounter lvl 18
    Sweet job Lupus!
  • vahl
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    vahl polycounter lvl 18
    same as low odor, and I don't think you need a zbrush pass, looks really cool already smile.gif
  • ElysiumGX
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    ElysiumGX polycounter lvl 18
    it looks like creating all the folds for the clothing was a mess, as that's some chaotic edge topology. you could have
    made that pass in Zbrush and saved lots of time, since it's available to you.
  • Marine
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Marine polycounter lvl 18
    I'm sexier in person
  • Mark Dygert
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    [ QUOTE ]
    it looks like creating all the folds for the clothing was a mess, as that's some chaotic edge topology. you could have
    made that pass in Zbrush and saved lots of time, since it's available to you.

[/ QUOTE ]
    I blame mesh smooth... looks good in non wire mode and hopefully the low poly version will have a cleaner mesh.
  • MoP
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    MoP polycounter lvl 18
    Really cool stuff Lupus.

Couple of things which I'd take another look at: Firstly his crotch seems a tad low, makes his legs look very short (although his bodily proportions seem fine).
    Also I'm not really sure what's going on around the shoulderpads, bit of a weird design, what's it meant to be?
  • Mongrelman
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Cheers all.

I converted a hand into the glove + fingers, so the fingers actually ended up being too spindly (even more than they currently are hehe), so I inflated them a bit. I left them still a little thing to give a bit more space for the low poly model when I bake the normal map.

I'll soften the fold in the face. Easy enough to fix smile.gif

I'm not sure on the name of the gear, but it's by Crye Precision. A search for 'crye' tends to show the stuff. It is put together in quite a strange way; seams where you wouldn't expect, no 'fly' apparently, just some wierd zip (I think) going back and forth around the inner thighs. I put 4 mag pouches on the chestpad as that is what one of the reference photos had, which I thought looked cool laugh.gif

I intintionally didn't use zbrush as this is also for my portfolio and I wanted to show that I can actually poly model, not just sculpt (such as with the Lictor). I'm applying to visual FX houses too to help broaden the net for catching the first gig and some of them don't use zbrush, or not in that way at least.

The shoulderpads....I really don't know, I just copied what was in the photos. I'm guessing it's incase the soldier gets swallowed by a troll, the shoulderpads will catch on it's throat and make it cough the guy back up. Or something like that.

armor&vest-Crye-armor-6.jpg

I'll raise the crotch a bit.
  • Steve Schulze
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Steve Schulze polycounter lvl 18
    Looks like someone tried to find a practical use for those floppy rubber keyboards.

He's looking nice. I think perhaps the pouches over the belly are a bit on the big side judging by the reference and generally because they look a bit awkward.
  • McIlroy
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    McIlroy polycounter lvl 17
    Yeah maybe the mesh is a little bit messy but man that is one awesome model ! Good work ! The only thing I can say could need a little work is making the neck look like it has muscles. Right now it's very flat and it just needs a little tone .
  • IceWolve
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    IceWolve polycounter lvl 18
    Me to the rescue... with a link that is.

http://www.militarymorons.com/gear/crye3.html

That is what he is modelling, hope those pics help, and it should help explain somethings about the uniform. There is not standard fly btw.

And your proportions do seem a bit off, id make him more beeft like the guy in these pics. He is a marine after all. Though i know some marines are arent beefy at all but thin lol.
  • Mongrelman
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Currently working on cleaning up parts of the normal map. I'll tweak some proportions afterwards. He is about 5,850 triangles with eyeballs (which he doesn't have at the moment).

1024 map for the body, 512 for the head (since there will be different variants of marines, with different heads). These are just some screengrabs from xNormal.

xnormalrender1su8.jpg
  • MoP
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    MoP polycounter lvl 18
    Very cool work Lupus, looks great. The backpack is a tad boring though, but I guess you're mainly gonna see this guy from the front in game?
  • verybad
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    verybad polycounter lvl 17
    Great model, I've seen it several times and it's a pleasure seeing it go LP and still retain so much detail in the Normal Map. Also cool feature about this particular model is you can make some variants for ingame by just making a few different heads, the hands and rest of the model would stay the same.
  • East
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    East polycounter lvl 14
    Looking really good. Wish I could do polymodelling like this.

[ QUOTE ]
    [..] Also cool feature about this particular model is you can make some variants for ingame by just making a few different heads, the hands and rest of the model would stay the same.

[/ QUOTE ]
    Probably would have to do something about the fingers as well if it's a more drastic change. Like, say, from a white guy, to a black guy smile.gif
  • Mongrelman
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Cheers guys.

@Mop: Yeah it's a bit boring, there will probably be something put on afterwards. Other items (such as a radio) will be done as seperate objects and placed, so I'll try ot add something to his back. And yeah, you'll mainly be seeing these guys from the front smile.gif

@VB: Good to see you around again smile.gif. Aye, different heads and different placement of other objects (eg. pouches), and texture tweaks (such as skin colour) should give us quite a few variations. You still making mechs? You Canis was my favourite.

@East: Just a case of reading/watching tutorials and practice practice practice smile.gifI think the only area of skin you see on the body is the end of the thumb and first two fingers, so that shouldn't require too much texture work methinks hehe.
  • verybad
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    verybad polycounter lvl 17
    I'm taking a hiatus on mechs, there's not that much demand for them in the industry, and I REALLY wanna get paid for what I like doing as upposed to the f-ing service industry jobs I've mostly managed. I'm concentrating on making organic stuff now. It's a whole different skill set from the mechanical stuff I was working on, but a load of fun.
  • LAGtheNoggin
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    LAGtheNoggin polycounter lvl 17
    Cool model, I see someone's taken their marines out of the Crye Precision catalouge.

For information, the rubber shoulder pads there are for shouldering your gun into and stopping them sliding about during battle (note the outer rubber lips), some guys have them adjusted to their good shoulder, but it's common discipline to be able to shoulder a weapon ambidextrously so you see 'em doubled sometimes.

Other than the points previously raised, there's something a little too clinical about this marine, like he really has just hopped out of the catalouge; The pouches are all perfectly aligned, the armour plates perfectly attached, straps spankingly horizontal, everything pristine. Marines aren't clinical, not in battle. But hey, they're bad guys, and bad guys are always clinical.

Looking forward to seeing this mod come alive! Best of luck.