Home Technical Talk

big .obj files into 3dsmax

polycounter lvl 19
Offline / Send Message
JordanW polycounter lvl 19
So when using zbrush/mudbox/any 3d painting app, my .obj files become massive and take max forever to import them. I was wondering if there was a better .obj importer for max? I tried XSI 5 and it can import the same .obj files much quicker than max because they updated their importer so i'm a little jealous and was wondering if anyone knew of an updated 3dsmax one.

Replies

• MoP
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    MoP polycounter lvl 18
    Yeah, it's a bit of a bitch how long it takes, but Arshlevon posted a sneaky trick a while back if all you're doing is baking normals or using the geometry to model around.

Basically just drop a few subdivisions to a manageable level, and bake a normal or displacement map of the upper levels (since they're usually just fine detail anyway, not major shapes), you can even use ZB-generated UVs for this, then you can bring this mesh into max much faster, apply and bake the normals from that.
  • arshlevon
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    arshlevon polycounter lvl 18
    yeah works pretty good now that zmapper is out.. also poops trick works pretty good too. create a new layer make sure it is the active layer, and hide that layer.. now import. it loads a bit faster and comes in selected so you can assign a smooth modifier to get rid of the facets . also i find max 9 is very comparable to xsi in polylimits and speed. i brought in a 6 million poly model from zbrush and it took a sec to load but i could rotate the view real time, even in wireframe mode.
    i also export chunks of very detailed areas from zbrush and bake those separately then composite the more detailed normals in photoshop. this speeds things up a bit and allows me to single out areas that need high detail in zbrush and delete the rest of the mesh so i can even get another divide or 2 before i run out of memory.
  • JordanW
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    JordanW polycounter lvl 19
    thanks, I'll try out max9, I'm currently doing the layer thing and baking normals when I really need to, One thing I've found is that max can also be really picky if the object is say...really small or you have lots of polygons within a small area on a model, dunno why.
  • KevinCoyle
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    KevinCoyle polycounter lvl 18
    Is there a way to allocate more memory resources for zbrush to use? I have a 3 million polygon model and when I try and export it as an obj I get insufficent memory errors towards the end.

Or do I need a new system. I have 2 gigs of ram on my current system.
  • Joshua Stubbles
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Joshua Stubbles polycounter lvl 19
    Get 4GB.
    There's a registry hack that you can do, which will let Windows use only 1GB of that memory, and use the rest for applications/games. Earthquake and Per know what it was. I can't remember it. EQ? Per? Care to chime in here? smile.gif
  • MoP
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    MoP polycounter lvl 18
    Well, ZBrush also has a "Mem" heading in the Preferences menu, you might try editing some of the settings in there, like CompactMem.
  • fr0gg1e
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    fr0gg1e polycounter lvl 17
    the zmapper thing would be ace if I was able to use it on a mesh with more than 500 000 polys, however, bringing your high resolution (4 millions polys) in zbrush and launching Zmapper is giving me an error.
    When I try to load this same 4 millions poly mesh directly into max, on a layer, displayed as a box, whatever trick you could use, it just crash max...I tried to imports parts of my models and polycrunch them, but then polycrunch is "running out of memory". so i have to manually separate them in max (when it doesnt crash) then polycrunch each of them...
    Xnomal works great, but editing the cage is just too painfull.
    I really wonder if it's my machine or if it's max related.
  • spitty
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    spitty polycounter lvl 17
    something that helped me when i was running out of ram importing obj's was to get rid of the uvs for the hipoly model. there is a setting in zbrush export panel called txr that will make it so your mesh will export without uvs. this made my obj have a much lower file size.

then in max i also uncheck the texture coordinates box when i import the obj.
  • Silva_Spoon
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Silva_Spoon polycounter lvl 18
    Oh how I want a 64bit machine and a 64bit version of max 9
  • diZzyWalnut
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    diZzyWalnut polycounter lvl 18
    Try to adjust ( fix) the virtual memory of Your PC.
    It means the volume initial should be egual to the volume
    maximum.

Example :
    If Your PC 's got 1024 RAM - the volume initial is about 1536
    and the volume max is 3072 .
    ..... well, You have to adjust the volume initial at 3072.

memory.jpg

memory_1.jpg

I think that can help for heavy import from ZBRUSH or MUDBOX. wink.gif
    (don't forget "defragment" the hard drive after this change of memory !)