Home General Discussion

GeForce 8800 series out now.

polycounter lvl 18
Offline / Send Message
Neo_God polycounter lvl 18
Came across this at gamespot. I thought some people here would find it interesting.

http://www.gamespot.com/features/6161267...p;click=topslot

Replies

• McIlroy
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    McIlroy polycounter lvl 17
    I built a sub 1000$ system 859$ to be exact and just put together quality parts excellent mobo,fast memory, good cpu over clocked .. and then spent the most on my Graphics card

eVGA 256-P2-N624-AR GeForce 7900GS 256MB 256-bit GDDR3 PCI Express x16 works great and can put max settings on anything out now . I could have SLI put in another and out performed a single 8800 for almost half the price which i'll do probebly in a few months. Though no direct X10 support and no pixel shader 4.0 but by the time games start really using those features 2nd or 3rd gen DX10 cards will be out and affordable .
  • hobodactyl
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    hobodactyl polycounter lvl 18
    My graphics-programming buddy just told me about the two new Nvidia cards, and HE is excited, which is a monumental task. Apparently they are a pretty significant leap forward; time to start thinking of a new rig...
  • rawkstar
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    rawkstar polycounter lvl 18
    coders get excited about strange things smile.gif i am [-] this close to getting one with the 680i mobo... lol CRAP!!!
  • McIlroy
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    McIlroy polycounter lvl 17
    Rawkstar I think this board would be a better buy for that price range

Intel BOXD975XBXLKR Socket T (LGA 775) Intel 975X ATX Intel Motherboard
  • sonic
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    sonic polycounter lvl 18
    one of the cool things about dx10 is that the standards for the DX10 are more strict. this means that the cards that are produced will be more similar, making them easier to develop for (sort of like developing for a console)
  • rawkstar
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    yeah... lol i don't think these are worth it for anyone except graphics programmers at this point... think about it, vista isn't out yet, none of this stuff is mainstream, even if you do build a 64bit machine now the most ram you can cram in there is about 4 gigs, unless u go with a server board, but thats a whole other can of worms. 6 months from now they are going to come out with new cards, and i'm sure i'm going to want to buy those too... lol i'm such a consumer whore when it comes to computers... lol... jesus and to think... quad core core2's come out next week... sigh...LOL
  • CrazyButcher
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    CrazyButcher polycounter lvl 18
    and what is even cooler are the new OpenGL extensions that are coming now bringing the dx10 features to any opengl machine capable of doing it, OS independent (w2k, xp, linux...)
  • hobodactyl
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Rawkstar, I wouldn't say it won't be worth it; my friend (the graphics programmer) says "it can play current games over twice as fast as the best cards out up till now", so it just depends on how much you like playing games :P Seriously, though, it deals with shaders in a new way, so it would actually allow you to work on much higher resolution meshes in stuff like MudBox (as long as the program can handle it wink.gif ).

I think for most of us it will be fine waiting for the next couple of iterations, but this has been a significant jump in capabilities. It can be used to do physics on top of the graphics pipeline, but games won't be using that quite yet. There are also just a million things they have added like geometry shaders which allow for tessellation on the GPU, and then being able to apply displacement mapping to it afterwards. Basically this means you can have a lower-detail mesh with a displacement map, and as it approaches the camera the geometry shader subdivides the low-res model and morphs it to fit the displacement map. It should be pretty sweet once they start getting it into games!

Sorry to get so techy, I guess it’s exciting for me, too :P
  • rawkstar
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    uhh no, lol it would play current games like zomg twice as fast if dx10 was out, but its not, so here's a benchmark for ya:

image004.gif

these are dx10 cards that take advantage of dx10 features, d10 isn't out yet, i hope it'll be out when vista comes out, which aparently is now set to jan 30th. i think i'll just wait and see how all this plays out, i hope i'll be able to crunch gazillions of polygons at least at some point... GIMME! smile.gif
  • Mongrelman
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Mongrelman polycounter lvl 18
    A lot of techy info here skype:?chat&id=%23chrismongrel%2F%24bkdale%3Bbf98479dd62fcddc
    I tried reading some of it, but it made my nose bleed.

Sounds like a nice step forward though.
  • hobodactyl
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Dam, foiled again it seems :P Can't afford these things yet, anyway frown.gif
  • sledgy
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    sledgy polycounter lvl 18
    The reviews so far make this one look very promising. In the short run you get a vast performance improvement but $650 ouch! For a cool $1.3K you can get a 768MB SLI setup, sans the new kilowatt power supply of course. If you're like me and get every other (or third) iteration of GPU releases this one's going to hit the wallet pretty hard.