Home Technical Talk

Facial animation: Blendshapes or bones

polycounter lvl 18
Offline / Send Message
Vailias polycounter lvl 18
Question being at your studio/with your engine which is used for facial animation, bones or blendshapes/morphtargets?

I'm assuming bones, as thats what the impersonator plugin/module for UT2k4 used, and thats what was mentioned as being used for Ratchet and Clank in an old gamasutra article, but most or rather all of the online resources and rigs for facial animation I've found rely on blendshapes. So I was wondering which is the real deal for game art.

Replies

• Silva_Spoon
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Silva_Spoon polycounter lvl 18
    We are using blendshapes at my studio. For the facial animation and also for creating different heads with the same geometry. Every head in our game is using the same geometry and UVs. IT is becoming increasingly easier to create textures for the heads because I am building a library of PSD's that I can pull from that all fit.
  • Richard Kain
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Richard Kain polycounter lvl 18
    It depends on what your game needs. I know that Half-Life 2's Source engine uses morph targets for facial animation. And its lip-syncing system is one of the best in the industry. Of course, that games focus is clearly on realistic rendering of human speech. For a more exaggerated, cartoony character, bones might be the way to go. I'm not certain about how well different bone positions are able to blend together. I know that morph targets handle such transitions pretty well, and can be combined and scaled effectively. That makes them pretty attractive for facial animation.

At the end of the day, I'd say go for morph targets if you want to do full-on lip-syncing. If you just want to give a character's face some different emotional expressions, go for bones. (they are easier and faster to rig up than morph targets)
  • monster
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    monster polycounter
    From my experience, it depends soley on the number of bones you are allowed to have. If you can have more than 12 to 15 bones (also depends on your mesh density) then use bones. Here's some pros and cons to using bones.

Pro's:
    Bone's can be blended just like morph targets.
    Bone's are faster to setup and pose.
    Mesh deformation can be handled by the GPU.
    The CPU only needs to calculate a few bone transforms as opposed to hundreds of vertex transforms.
    Programmers don't need to design/work/debug a morph target pipeline and animation system.

Con's:
    If you don't have enough bones on a dense mesh you can't get the right details.
    Some of the finer details you can't do unless you dedicate a bone specifically for that area.
  • Silva_Spoon
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Silva_Spoon polycounter lvl 18
    [ QUOTE ]

Bone's are faster to setup and pose.

[/ QUOTE ]

In my pipline this isnt the case, considering that I am using the same vertex count and mesh topology for head for every head. Because of this I only had to set the blendshapes up one time and they are translated to every head in the game in one shot. If I were using bones I would have to rig and weight every head. As far as the posing. I have a interface/workspace (as its called in FaceFX) that I use to set up facial expressions very quickly.
  • Rick Stirling
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Rick Stirling polycounter lvl 18
    Bones are cheaper than blendshapes. Blendshapes (when done correclty!) look better.

Bones can be automated to an extent, so if you are using lots of heads, you can use the same animations and rigs and modify them, whereas blendshapes will have to be sculpted for every mesh.

So like everything in games, it is a tradeoff.
  • Vailias
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Vailias polycounter lvl 18
    thanks for the replies. I'm aware of many of the tradeoffs, pros and cons of each. I was more curious as to which route is more often used in professional productions. If its 50/50 I suppose it would behoove me to have samples of each in a portfolio.
  • monster
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    monster polycounter
    [ QUOTE ]
    ...If its 50/50 I suppose it would behoove me to have samples of each in a portfolio.

[/ QUOTE ]

Nah, just pick one and do it good. If someone asks about it in an interview setting, say something clever like, "I used bones in my example, but I also have in-depth knowledge of morph targets."
  • E-MadHud
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I understand that bones require far more work with every new head, but don't we all agree that blendshapes seriously handicap facial animation opportunities, especially in games like Skyrim (oh god hideous)?
  • Jimmg
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Jimmg polycounter lvl 5

In my pipline this isnt the case, considering that I am using the same vertex count and mesh topology for head for every head. Because of this I only had to set the blendshapes up one time and they are translated to every head in the game in one shot. If I were using bones I would have to rig and weight every head. As far as the posing. I have a interface/workspace (as its called in FaceFX) that I use to set up facial expressions very quickly.
    If you're using the same mesh why do you need to re-weightpaint ?
  • poopipe
    Options
    Online / Send Message
    poopipe grand marshal polycounter
    Both methods are equally capable in terms of re-use etc. To suggest that morph animation can't be shared is to suggest you haven't thought very far about it.

My own experience has shown that morphing works out considerably faster to create, considerably easier to manage in a pipeline and usually considerably better looking.
  • Wesley
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Wesley polycounter lvl 13
    Um... you guys know you're replying and quoting people from 6 years ago right?
  • poopipe
    Options
    Online / Send Message
    poopipe grand marshal polycounter
    *ahem

of course

yes..
  • Jimmg
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Jimmg polycounter lvl 5
    Aaah, I had no clue I just looked at the most recent post