Home 3D Art Showcase & Critiques

New website

polycounter lvl 18
Offline / Send Message
Spark polycounter lvl 18
I just wanted to post and show my new website design, along with my work from a few of the games that I have worked on. Any crits or comments are always welcomed, so hope that you guys like it. You can find the site at www.bbriley.com, please note that the comments section is not working, so I am not able to get emails quite yet.

Spark

Replies

• EricElwell
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    EricElwell insane polycounter
    very cool! Your sketches are among my favorites, definitely going to bookmark this. My only beef with this site is the giant dick.
  • Josh_Singh
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Josh_Singh polycounter lvl 18
    Love the warchiefs stuff! Iv'e always been a fan of your art. The norman rockwell selfportrait spoof still cracks me up after all these years.
  • arshlevon
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    arshlevon polycounter lvl 18
    great stuff! only crit is that it seems your newer stuff is leaps and bounds better than your older stuff. dont get me wrong there is nothing terrible on the site, but for a portfolio i recommend only your strongest pieces, expecially for the personal stuff. i understand putting all your stuff for your shipped titles but more isnt always better. if you really want to put all your stuff on there, some type of dating of images might be a good idea because it will show your progression, but with no real time line to show whats old and whats new it might look like your inconsistent. but any who i love your work and its a nice, sleek, simple design that was a plesure to navigate.
  • diZzyWalnut
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    diZzyWalnut polycounter lvl 18
    absolutly great work ; love Your sketches - very clean !
  • D4V1DC
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    D4V1DC polycounter lvl 18
    Lots of stuff!

The site is great love the navigate and the image presentations. I've seen that image gallery before but forget where.

Nice usage in the all around aspect of your setup but, do agree with arsh to have the older material dated.

*Note to brain: Gotta work harder...not enough hours in a day, looks like sleeps out then huh...sleep whats that?*
  • Spark
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Spark polycounter lvl 18
    Hey guys, thanks a bunch for the kind words and comments on the site. I am still adding type to the images, and will also be adding poly counts and such, but a time stamp is a great idea, thanks arsh! I know that some of the older work isn't done as well, but I like seeing that I have become a tad better with time. As for the giant dick, I did that piece back at Ringling, on a statement of Howard Stern (I asked 10 people what they thought of him, even those that liked him said he could be a dick, hence the self portrait of Howard Stern, as Norman Rockwell. Kinda a juxtiposition on how Howard brings alot of news to various people, like Rockwell did before him.) If you guys really hate some particular pieces, please let me know, and I will take out the ones that are bothering people, also if anyone wouldn't mind linking to my site, please let me know so I can add you to my list. Thanks again for helping out!

Spark
  • shotgun
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    shotgun polycounter lvl 19
    u know, on your old website, i thought that stern image was a self portrait
    i thought, man, this spark guy looks like a hippi!

and to think you came out of ringling.. pfff
  • McIlroy
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    McIlroy polycounter lvl 17
    You have some really nice work i'd hire yah ! That's the best compliment I can give someone . The site is good simple navigation and functional .
  • monster
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    monster polycounter
    Very nice, much better than "The Brett Briley Experience"!!!
  • poopinmymouth
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    poopinmymouth polycounter lvl 19
    Tons of great stuff, almost too much. I'd suggest condensing some work to have multiple assets per image, just to get it rolling by the eyeballs. I might also make your navigation menu to the left, less wide, and have the text slightly larger. Right now it takes up a lot of space, but the fonts are rather small.

poop.gif
  • pior
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    pior grand marshal polycounter
    Wow nice all around! Loving the natural media pieces, and your shipped titles lineup is quite something!

A few crits:
    The Rockwell spoof is fun, but it might be controversal - someone who knows the original might think, 'hey cool that guy knows his classics', but could also react in the 'wtf he didn't even give credits' way ; that's something to consider.

You should use color thumbnails!

Less categories would be so much nicer! Less clicks wins!

Also be careful with the fancy image script. Some like it, some hate it because of the weird slow look it gives (loading times aso). I use it on my website but I am just about to drop it completely because of this.

I'm always nitpicking anyways laugh.gif Hence I'll stress it again - great stuff! We want more!
  • killingpeople
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    killingpeople polycounter lvl 18
    really nice site man! smile.gif
  • hawken
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    hawken polycounter lvl 19
    totally broken in my browser, can someone post a picture of what it's meant to look like?
  • Daz
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Daz polycounter lvl 18
    Awesome content of course Brett. The quality of linework in your sketches never ceases to amaze me and your hi res modeling is getting pretty damn special lately too. I like the site design too but theres a couple of navigation problems for me in firefox. If i go to 2D>professional for instance and click on one of the Indian sketches there, hitting back in the broswer takes me back to somewhere completely different. Might be something to do with the image pop up scripts that youre using Im not sure. But it can be annoying. Even If you have forward and back buttons within the site I still think you need the equivalent browser buttons to work too.
    Also, for some reason clicking on the halo wars characters on the main page takes me to a page where they dont exist.

Great stuff man.
  • aniceto
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    aniceto polycounter lvl 18
    impressive work cool.gif
    [ QUOTE ]
    for some reason clicking on the halo wars characters on the main page takes me to a page where they dont exist.

[/ QUOTE ]

the thumbnails on the front page look really cool, but when i click them the full versions are nowhere to be seen frown.gif

why not have all your work thumbnails on 1 page instead of 3?
    (prepare for awesome photoshopery)
    brettwebsite.jpg
  • Spark
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Spark polycounter lvl 18
    Hey, thanks again guys for giving me some feedback:) Hahah no shotgun, I look nothing like Howard:P
    Mcilroy and Monster: Thanks for the kind words.
    Poop: I have thrown alot of work together on one page, what pictures were you thinking of?
    Pior: Thanks for the crits, I was still in the process of adding type to some images, Rockwell is given due credit now:) Also I tried having color thumbs, just looked to busy to me and wanted the color to pop when you were in image.
    Killing People: Thanks man!
    Hawken: What browser are you using?, as it works in IE and Firefox.
    Daz: Good to hear from you my friend, haven't seen you online lately, and thanks for the compliments. I went back and made sure that the news images were pointing to the right section (fixed) and as for the images, once you are in the little pop up window, you can use the arrows at the top to cycle forward and back. If you hit the back browser it takes you back to the last section you were in, as I tried recreating what you were doing, but it seemed to work fine for me.
    Aniceto: Heh, guess you posted when I was posting. I wanted to keep the 3d proffesional stuff with the specific games seperate, to show what I have done proffesionally to what I do personaly. I realize that it might be a few more clicks for some people, but hopefully they don't mind it.

Thanks all!
    Spark
  • hawken
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    yeah for some reason its not loading the style sheets on safari, it parses OK as xhtml though.

try removing the media="screen" and media="all" tags, they are not really needed and appear to stop the style sheets from loading.
  • Pedro Amorim
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    how come i cant see your site?

Server not found

Firefox can't find the server at www.bbriley.com.
  • Spacey
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Spacey polycounter lvl 18
    Oh wow, I didn't even realize I could click on the boxart to the left to open up more thumbs. I thought they were just there to showcase what you'd worked on. I'm also a fool; that may have something to do with it =P

I'd say you've got some scrolling issues. First off, the page scrolls down farther than there is content. The only justification is for the boxart images (which is also unbalancing the page,long column of content on right vs short on left) that only appear on the "3D Professional" page. And even then the page extends past there.

The other scrolling issue was the flash thumbs. I'm running at 1280x1024 and the popup doesn't quite fit in Firefox. This causes me to have to scroll down one click on the mouse wheel to see if there is a little note to put the image in context or to close the window (I know I can click above the window, but still...). Granted I am browsing with a bookmark toolbar and tabs (taking up screen real estate), but I think that should be taken into consideration (for us Firefox users).

That aside, great site filled with even greater content.
  • Spark
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Spark polycounter lvl 18
    Hey guys, again thanks for the continuing comments and for viewing the site.
    Hawken: A friend of mine helped me with the more difficult code of the images, so I am not really sure how to fix that.
    Bitmap: I have checked for both IE and Firefox, and I am not sure why you are unable to view the site, another friend said that he couldn't either on IE, so I am at a loss to as why it works for some but not all.
    Spacey: I can see what you mean about the extra part of the site with no content being a pain, I will look into shortening out some of the unneeded space so that will help. You can also use the N button to move forward, the P button to go back, and the X button to close the images. Hopefully that will help some. Again, thank you for helping me with this, and I will try and fix some of the problems.

Spark
  • hawken
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    ok but be aware it looks like this:

broken.jpg

I asked around in a design forum, some people think it might the conditional comment in the CSS.

If you want to get your site out to as many people as possible (a great deal of people with use now, but I guess thats not the point when it comes to accessability) it may be worth getting your friend who coded the site to have a look at the problem.
  • Pedro Amorim
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    spark: i managed to get to see your site, but only thru a webproxy (www.blasproxy.com) dont know why i need to use one to view your site, but it was the only way. anyways the site looks very cool, and all my only crit is that you should point that the games cases on the left are subsections, i wasnt gonna click them because i thought they were ads for games. might wanna put a note there saying that those games cases are subsections and whatnot.

laugh.gif that is all :P
  • Spark
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Spark polycounter lvl 18
    Hey guys, great feedback and ideas on the site. I am working on fixing all the problems.
    Hawken: Ahh safari is a for mac users, hadn't heard of that before, I have someone else looking into it, so hopefully we can get it working right for mac.
    Bitmap: Thanks for trying to get a work around to view the site, I am not sure of your initial problem, but hopefully soon I will have it fixed so you don't have to do that. Also good idea about stating the box art is sections, as I don't want people missing that.

Spark
  • Steve Schulze
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Steve Schulze polycounter lvl 18
    Nice work.

I haven't explored your site all that much but I notice your very first Doom 3 image opens in the browser instead of the fancy flash window thing that the rest use, as does the first Neverwinter shot and the first three AoE ones (possibly others). You might want to fix that up for consistancy sake.
  • Spark
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Spark polycounter lvl 18
    Just wanted to share the christmas card that I had created for Ensemble Studios this year, plus show some of the new updates to the site. The contact section should now work, so you are welcome to send me an email (no stalkers please:P) Along with a few other fixes here and there. Hopefully I will have some more work to show soon, as I will have some time over the holidays. Hope you enjoy the card, and everyone has a good holiday. Note: You can find different sizes of the christmas card in my news section on my site.
    xmas_desktop_1600x1200.jpg

Spark
    www.bbriley.com
  • spacemonkey
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    spacemonkey polycounter lvl 18
    nice work brett, I'm curious to know what those little images are wrapped in ribbons at the back laugh.gif
  • fweezah
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    fweezah polycounter lvl 11
    Brett, I think you are my new favorite. (0=