Home General Discussion

Does getting a foot in the door work?

polycounter lvl 10
Offline / Send Message
IronHawk polycounter lvl 10
I applied and failed for an environmental artist position. Realistically I knew my chances but went for it with gusto. My portfolio and experience just isn’t good enough yet.

Does getting in at a different position work or should I just wait and try again in the future? I have good Tech support experience so I am thinking if I can get in doing support and continue to bust ass at art my chances are better as I would already be on the inside. However I am concerned that this could also work against me.

Any advice from the pro’s here would be very appreciated!

- Jesse

Replies

• JKMakowka
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    JKMakowka polycounter lvl 18
    I could imagine that if the company has a more or less completly seperated unit for techsupport, than it might not help at all. If it is in the same building or at least in close proximity and you get some regular verbal exchange with the art team it should be helpful though. But I am really just guessing.
  • Joao Sapiro
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Joao Sapiro sublime tool
    im no pro , but i think someone should only apply to a position unless they know they are fit for it . If you want environment id practise more and more than re aply smile.gif

good luck !
  • Ryno
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Ryno polycounter lvl 18
    With bigger companies, it probably won't help you by getting a tech support job with them. It might actually hurt you, as the tech support manager could get really pissed that you just took the job as a foot in the door, but were really looking to move to another department. This forces them to re-hire, whereas if they had just hired a straight-up support person, they wouldn't have to. It is possible that the support manager might take offense at this, and tell art not to hire you, just for making his life difficult.

I'm not saying this will happen, but it is possible, and you need to watch out for stepping on toes.

With smaller companies, there's no telling. It could help, but in many cases the tech support is handled by the publisher.
  • Joshua Stubbles
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Joshua Stubbles polycounter lvl 19
    If you want an art position, you really have to know your stuff. Plus, don't expect to join Epic or Valve on your first go, ya know? Hell, I started off at Magic Lantern Playware - ever heard of THEM? Hell no! hehe
    You have to work hard and gain experience. Once you do that, you can go after the big dogs wink.gif
  • Paul Jaquays
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Paul Jaquays polycounter lvl 18
    It's possible to transition between positions in many companies (I've done it). However -- they are often between similar positions, such as level design to art. Or Playtest to entry level design. Or QA into a producer situation. If you try to get into an organization as say, a QA tester, and expect that to be your ticket to an art position, you may be sadly disappointed.

Hone your skills. Apply for your dream jobs, but be realistic and also apply to less well known companies. They are typcially far more amenable to hiring entry level talent.
  • SuperOstrich
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    SuperOstrich polycounter lvl 17
    I started as a tester and moved into art after 3 months on the job. However, that was 1993 and the industry was a totally different environment.
  • Justin Meisse
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Justin Meisse polycounter lvl 18
    [ QUOTE ]
    If you want an art position, you really have to know your stuff. Plus, don't expect to join Epic or Valve on your first go, ya know? Hell, I started off at Magic Lantern Playware - ever heard of THEM? Hell no! hehe
    You have to work hard and gain experience. Once you do that, you can go after the big dogs wink.gif

[/ QUOTE ]

not to change the subject, but how do you find these small companies?
  • Mark Dygert
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    [ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

I typed "seattle game developers" into google and it spat out --> http://www.igda.org/seattle/developers.htm
    Ok I knew it was going to spit that addy out and I just wanted to burn you... forgive me.
    I'm not sure where you're located but there could be something similar. The next answer is networking, and not that creepy "hi I want to know you because I want a job" networking but actualy being friends with people who are in the industry. If you don't know anyone in the industry figure out ways to meet up with them. Becareful of restraining orders, no means no and stay 500ft away means you're headed down the wrong path.

PSST my company is on the list...
  • ElysiumGX
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    ElysiumGX polycounter lvl 18
    [ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

make friends. IGDA ftw.

original question:

start small with groups that actually need your talents, then work you way up. QA positions also help to pay the bills.
  • Lee3dee
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Lee3dee polycounter lvl 18
    [ QUOTE ]
    I started off at Magic Lantern Playware

[/ QUOTE ]
    Vassago, now i know who took that job away from me in 2003/4 smile.gif

I'm glad I introduced you to IGDA ElysiumGX. The IDGA is a great place for networking with other development people.

IronHawk Don't give up! Eventually you'll get your break! Just don't stop working on your portfolio.
  • Marcus Dublin
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Marcus Dublin polycounter lvl 17
    Take a hard look at your portfolio and say to yourself is this good enough for an entry-level position at company X? If not then post your work on forums and ask for advise on areas where you could improve, after that go back to the drawing board and get cracking on your portfolio! Concentrate on your weaknesses and push your strengths whatever they maybe! The key is to keep working and grinding away on your skill set and that portfolio and eventually someone will recognize your work.

Good luck!

Marcus Dublin
    Artist - Kaos Studios
  • Joshua Stubbles
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Joshua Stubbles polycounter lvl 19
    [ QUOTE ]

Vassago, now i know who took that job away from me in 2003/4 smile.gif

[/ QUOTE ]

I was there in 2001 - but nice try! hehe smile.gif