Home 3D Art Showcase & Critiques

My blizzy submission that probly didnt make it in.

polycounter lvl 10
Offline / Send Message
stimpack polycounter lvl 10
I finished my piece and tried to submit last night, but blizzys website was down =( I emailed it in but they havent responded yet. So Im gonna share here =)

enjoy!

SimmonsPhilip.jpg

Replies

• dkorch
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    dkorch polycounter lvl 17
    wow, pretty neato dude. can you post your texture sets?
  • stimpack
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    thanks, sure ill post my difuse, the other maps arnt to interesting to look at.

difuse.jpg
  • Xenobond
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Xenobond polycounter lvl 18
    Yeouch! I think you went a little overboard on the plastic wrap filter.
  • stimpack
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    lol yes i did. couldnt find any other way to make it feel slimy. i tried painting it, but that didnt look so hot. I like the effect i got from it on the model =)
  • Neo_God
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Neo_God polycounter lvl 18
    Yeouch! is right!

Out of all the filters in photoshop's trove of shortcuts, you picked to use one of the two that can instantly detract quality from anything (the other being the infamous lens flair). I'm not sure why you felt you needed to put the slimy glisten on the diffuse, as that should have been done with the spec map. It's not really hard to simulate slimyness with the spec. Here's a quick way to do it to get a decent look. Take your diffuse, overlay the normal onto it. Up the contrast and sharpen it up quite a bit. This usually gives a nice wet effect. Seriously get rid of the plastic wrap, it takes away from the piece so much.

So I say take the next 2 days and spiff up this guy a bit, then submit the newer version.
  • stimpack
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    lol okay, ill give it a shot. I certainly dont mind reworking him a bit. Ill post up a new one before long =) thx for the tip man.

ps. this is my first character ive textured, so any more tips id greatly appreciate!
  • hawken
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    hawken polycounter lvl 19
    you submission images are cluttered and confusing. You even have the blizzard logo obscuring your model
  • Asmuel
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Asmuel polycounter lvl 17
    Before everyone tears you to shreads I'll just say dont be offended by peoples criticisms, try and learn from them because most people that respond will probably have a lot of experiance under their belt.

One thing that sticks out to me is those orange claws are basically the same with the same texture boarders and everyting. You can just make one and then copy it 3 more times and keep the same UV co-ordinates, this will utilize texture space much better.

good luck keep working and learning smile.gif
  • X-One
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    X-One polycounter lvl 18
    Another thing you might want to do is straighten/sharpen up some of the edges in the armour portions of the texture. The chipped paint thing you got going on is a bit distracting. While it's a good idea on the whole, think about where the paint would get scratched/chipped off first.

As Asmuel stated, sometimes crits can be pretty straight up, but it's usually good advice. I lurk a lot more than I post, but I can tell you that if you listen to these guys, you're sure to see improvements in your work.
  • stimpack
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Thanks guys! really I dont mind how blunt the crits are, i appreciate them! makes me wanna run home and try again =) i worked a bit on him last night, but I think my uv's arnt very well layed out. so im just gonna start from scratch and see how well i can do second time around!