thank you

Replies

• Ninjas
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Ninjas polycounter lvl 18
    There are only a couple image I think are good as far as concept art;

spacefighters.jpg

I like the design on the left, for example.

I hated the frames on the website.

I didn't get a feeling for what your artistic style was. It seemed all over the place. A lot of the time I was convinced I was looking at a copy or a paintover of someone else's art.

Your 3D stuff wasn't very good. The soldier was okay, but without a texture map it isn't worth displaying.

If you are going to be showing this to potential employers I would cut it down to your ten best pieces. One of the most important things that you can show is that you have an eye for quality. You do this by only showing your best work.
  • EricElwell
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    EricElwell insane polycounter
    I would echo that. As I was looking over your site, I felt like I had to dig through a lot just to find your best work, the format was not very inviting at all. You should definitely take time to design your site in such a way that your BEST work is clearly and professionally presented. You want to narrow it down to your very best work and skills.

I would somewhat disagree with Ninjas, in that diversity in style can be a very positive thing, but it has to be very clear that you can maintain consistency in whatever style you are working on. That being said, only display what you are confident in. Imagine that you are sitting down with the employer and describing why the work in your portfolio is your best work. Now without any description, can your work articulate those reasons on it's own? That is one way to narrow down what work you plan to showcase.

Best of luck, I hope that helps!
  • Jeremy Lindstrom
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Jeremy Lindstrom polycounter lvl 18
    and for some reason trend micro marks it as an adult site. laugh.gif
  • benny
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    i didn't start out thinking i would want to be a concept artist. basically i was drawing comics, and then moved on to fine art a couple years, and then to 2d animation a couple years, but i decided to be a concept artist and started learning Maya.

I agree with everything you guys said. couple people already told me to organize the website clearer. and i think i will come down to around 10 pieces. the 3d though is in progress..i guess i am not trying to show the quality of the models so much but to show that i understand 3D (not all of it, clearly).

thanks guys!
  • benny
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    1 important question:
    is a concept artist required to model, required to know rigging and/or texture? i know this varies a bit from job to job, but my priority is to be a concept artist, not modeler, etc.
  • Cubik
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Cubik polycounter lvl 18
  • Ninjas
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Ninjas polycounter lvl 18
    Concept artists aren't usually expected to have any 3D skills.

It is cool to see the 3D stuff. With a texture map it would be cool to have in there I think.
  • Cubik
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Cubik polycounter lvl 18
    Also, you need more finished pieces. I can't find anything in your portfolio that I would deem truly finished.

I would (which I'll do myself for my portfolio site) do a link which gives the viewer your ten best works on one, single page. Write the total filesize on the button, slap some contact information on the page and you're basically done with your site. ADs will love it (if you have good hosting).
  • benny
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Cubik
    that's a nice idea. i think that's what i will do.

i am actually talking with some indie teams to do concept arts for them and i think that's how i will get finished concept art and experience.
  • benny
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Cubik
    i just read that article and it made a whole lot of sense to me.
  • Cthogua
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Cthogua polycounter lvl 18
    [ QUOTE ]
    Concept artists aren't usually expected to have any 3D skills.

[/ QUOTE ]

But it certainly can't hurt (as long as said 3D skills are up to par of course) to have some extra skills to contribute. From what I've read alot of concept artists also double as texture painters later on, or just as needed. There is nothing saying that 3D tools can't be used to develop concepts as well. Infact once you get used to "sketching" in 3D it can almost be more effective since you are establishing masses and volumes as well as dealing with silhouette. This helps to avoid the, "well it looked cool as a drawing" syndrome.

I believe Hawkprey said that he does something like 80% of his work in 3D now, and paints the details/graphics/whatever over renders of the simple models.