Home 3D Art Showcase & Critiques

Male and Female futuristic armor

Phopojijo
polycounter lvl 18
Offline / Send Message
Phopojijo polycounter lvl 18
Hey guys,

These two models are quite unfinished (just started the female model this afternoon). The one on the left is obviously the female armor, the right obviously -- male. Their tails are hiding in the rear but yes they're simian-based characters.

Just like to know what you guys think; keep in mind I still have ~1700 triangles left in my budget and can implement criticism (provided of course it fits the art-style I planned for the characters... so if I reject ideas for seemingly zero reason, its probably a very good idea -- just conflicts with some other object/cinematic/anachronism/etc. Still want to hear it though!)

And yes -- they're low poly... definitely can afford normalsmaps. Its target engine is UnrealEngine3, and according to UnrealTechnology, is 1500-2000 triangles shy of the target polycount per number of expected players on screen for the low poly mesh.

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v342/Phopojijo/aera2.png

Pardon the grammar by the way -- hate to sound rude but I needed to type this up real-quick-like.

Replies

• tremulant
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    tremulant polycounter lvl 17
    Show us a wireframe, on a 50 percent grey background...And add in some smoothing groups. Right now I think that the feet dont read well but other than that I need to see this with a wireframe...Also do you have a clearly thought out 2d conecpt?
  • Phopojijo
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Sorry I didn't reply, worked all day and visited relatives all night. Thanks for the help, I'll see if I can get back to you on the wireframe (even though the normals are all set-to-face so its pretty obvious). Maya doesn't make Wireframe all too easy without screenshots.

The smoothing will not actually be an issue, that will be handled later on with 1) normals maps (Maya Normal-smooths... there's no such thing as smoothing groups, only Soft/hard edges which are to be normal-smoothed over), and 2) I want sub-face detail, smoothing isn't exactly my goal.

As for concept art -- none really. I have a mental image of what I wish, no drawing skills however (attempted concept art and failed). For proportions and reference, however, I used pictures of myself (sighs, in boxers to get proper skin proportions, not just clothing proportions)

To get from Male to Female isn't too difficult though. (Before you say it, the legs and arms haven't been touched yet.)
  • Phopojijo
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Mind the doublepost, took longer than I thought to get spare time.

Female, front/back
    http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v342/Phopojijo/AeraPoly.jpg
    http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v342/Phopojijo/AeraBackPoly.jpg

Male, front/back
    http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v342/Phopojijo/RiloPoly.jpg
    http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v342/Phopojijo/RiloBackPoly.jpg

Triangle Count's ~3100-3300 for each -- most likely 3700 after detail (adding to the wrists and ankels signs where the ceramic armor joins the rubber suit) and optimization (a bunch of polygons can go... but I'm going to take care of them later), which suits well for UnrealEngine3 20-25 visible players according to UnrealTechnology.com

Visible players admittedly will be much less than 20-25 on most situations... however certain maps are designed to be excessively small for ultra-deathmatch play... so you need to be able to account for the possibility that everyone will be in one place at one time.
  • tremulant
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    tremulant polycounter lvl 17
    Not to sound mean about these, but the edge flow is really sloppy. You need to make sure you have a clear concept of these and get the anatomy down on 2d first before modeling these out. Then study edge flow from some really good models to make these look better.

The male looks better than the female, the anatomy is closer on that one...The female needs some hip and other proportion adjustments.
  • Phopojijo
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    [ QUOTE ]
    Not to sound mean about these, but the edge flow is really sloppy. You need to make sure you have a clear concept of these and get the anatomy down on 2d first before modeling these out. Then study edge flow from some really good models to make these look better.

The male looks better than the female, the anatomy is closer on that one...The female needs some hip and other proportion adjustments.

[/ QUOTE ]Didn't sound mean at all actually. Thanks for the feedback.

Yea, Aera's still a work-in-progress (both are... to be honest). Any things which are off that you can see immediately?

Note: The proportions on the breasts I couldn't get right, it just conflicts with the armor's hard-edged style. I'm still trying to find a happy medium but its looking like an impossibility at the moment. Either they look like cylinders popping out of her chest (similar to the sextuplets on "Duckman"), or flattened.