Home 3D Art Showcase & Critiques

Harvest Model for XrucifiX (nextgen-punk)

polycounter lvl 17
Offline / Send Message
katzeimsack polycounter lvl 17
finally finished it smile.gif
~9400 trinagulated polygons, 1x 2048 (diffuse,specular,normal,alpha,reflection)

I'm too laizy to fix the problem, maya has with mirrored normalmaps, therefore please ignore the seams wink.gif

xxharvest1.jpg
xxharvest2.jpg

comments please smile.gif

Replies

• Jamaludin
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Jamaludin polycounter lvl 18
    man I really like it that goes for the design as well. Cool model , cant get your website to work here though isnt it up yet ?
  • Geezus
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Geezus mod
    I dig what you have going on here. I saw you workin on this guy in the SWAYWO thread. I'm glad you beef'd up those ankles. The only thing I keep wondering as I look at this is, what are those square leather packs holding? They seem out of place with the rest of the character, for me. Great work altogether :]
    If your site is suppose to fwd to http://www.twoguyssoftware.ca/, then your site works for me, though I would imagine you would want to link to some sort of portfolio site rather than what looks to be a showcase for a very old FPS.
  • MackXX
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    MackXX polycounter lvl 17
    [ QUOTE ]
    man I really like it that goes for the design as well. Cool model , cant get your website to work here though isnt it up yet?

[/ QUOTE ]
    Thanks for the design compliment, it's an idea I had, that Gauss brought to being and that Katz here build into a fantastic 3d model.

[ QUOTE ]
    If your site is suppose to fwd to http://www.twoguyssoftware.ca/, then your site works for me, though I would imagine you would want to link to some sort of portfolio site rather than what looks to be a showcase for a very old FPS.

[/ QUOTE ]
    I contracted Katz out to build this character, currently www.xrucifix.com is being switched over to a different service provider, it's taking a bit longer than we would have liked so everything is being mirrored over to our old domain. This character would be for a new title we are developing currently.
  • EarthQuake
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    You should throw up jack's concept in here too.
  • MackXX
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    [ QUOTE ]
    You should throw up jack's concept in here too.

[/ QUOTE ]

Why that's an excellent idea!

mediumgood_ortho.jpg
  • Ferg
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Ferg polycounter lvl 17
    lookin really cool, but whats up with the shoulder pad? All the pieces came out great on their own but you forgot the intersections... the striped shoulder pad just... goes into the metal neck piece.
  • Geezus
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Geezus mod
    Looking at the concept, I'm sad to see the spikes on the shoulder pad were left out in the final model. :[
  • rooster
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    rooster mod
    yeah the spikes would have been nice little points of interest shining against the cloth, and dead easy to do.. dig the result though looks nice
  • warby
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    warby polycounter lvl 18
    the seam is not a maya problem its a bug in the normal map ! and there for your responsibility to fix it ! you can fix it by going into the R chanel of your normal map take a 128 128 128 (grey) brush and paint along the seam fixed

edit also why aren the belt the the shoulder pats the thign around his neck and the boots not as pretty as the concept ?
  • vahl
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    vahl polycounter lvl 18
    seams like that can also come from the engine not supporting uv seams/mirroring well, thus creating a smoothing problem there, I have models that look perfectly smooth ingame doom3, quake4...but have a stupid seam in derton's modelviewer for instance. some engine show seams even if you have a perfectly flat normal, it's only due to the way it handles mirroring/smoothing/UVs
  • katzeimsack
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    katzeimsack polycounter lvl 17
    right vahl smile.gif
    I could fix it for maya presentations by inventing the ?green? channel, but who cares? Ingame it will be ok smile.gif

I deffinatly agree with the most people, that the concept is better :/
    perhaps after finishing my blizzard entry, I will redo some parts smile.gif
  • dkorch
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    dkorch polycounter lvl 17
    Hey man, I dig the over all model, it is defiantly a fairly solid model. If I had to critique a few things though it would be this.

1) The hair on the alpha could be softened a little at the tips giving it not so harsh of a feel.

2) The bump almost over is way to big for my liking, I don’t know if it’s a style thing your going for or not, but just seems to big over all. Area’s of the body have different bumpbs and specs according the the textures of the skin in that area so I would study that a some more. Also the tricept that is being show does not seem correct to me.

3) The tricep has two heads on it, and splits as it goes down, it seems you have it the opposite way almost. I would grab an anatomy book, and fix that up.
    4) like in an earlier post stated I would soften the edges of the boxes on the belts, they are to sharp compared to the concept, and just in general to the overall design.
    5) The last thing I see would be the fabric seems to create a really weird design that seems kind of unnatural, however this could be just the render so I am not sure but you should look into it.

Hope those things help, you have a great model going, just a few minor tweaks and it can be damn near perfect. So anyways, great job.
  • warby
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    warby polycounter lvl 18
    [ QUOTE ]
    right vahl smile.gif
    I could fix it for maya presentations by inventing the ?green? channel, but who cares? Ingame it will be ok smile.gif

[/ QUOTE ]

man i wish i had invented the green chanel that would have made the world 8 bit more colorfull ^^ ... and who cares ?! ... you should care peopel judge you based on those mistakes ! what game is it for (what engine ?!) and when can we expect those ingame screenshots ?!
  • MackXX
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Polycount Front Page Katz, Congrads!

Thanks for your comments everyone, keep them comming!

[ QUOTE ]
    what game is it for

[/ QUOTE ]
    Eternal War: Nightmares

[ QUOTE ]
    (what engine ?!)

[/ QUOTE ]
    Reality Engine

[ QUOTE ]
    and when can we expect those ingame screenshots?!

[/ QUOTE ]
    Whenever Katz sends me the model or if he decides to play with it in the editor