Home 3D Art Showcase & Critiques

Modelling exercise wip - need help/critique please

Jamaludin
polycounter lvl 18
Offline / Send Message
Jamaludin polycounter lvl 18
155.png

Heyall,

I am trying to make some pieces for my portfolio since I dont really have one. I know my modelling skills arent up to par to be making a good solid portfolio yet, but that is why im here. I am building each model around a theme I have 3 themes/concepts to speak of in which setting im going to model for.

So my question is how I can improve my modelling and espescially my poly flow because it is very sloppy and inefficient, and also the model on its own does it look oke already or is it just plain s*%&#te haha ? And ofcourse the next step is textureing it and modelling the appropiate clothing for this kid because this way its not even halfway finished...

Thanks in advance !

Replies

• shagspear
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    shagspear polycounter lvl 18
    I Can't see your model... bigger picture/closer model so we can see your wireframe. Have a seperate close up shot of the face (detail areas)
  • fogmann
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    fogmann polycounter lvl 17
    From what I can see, the side of the leg and knee area are very messy and have some edges that don't contribute neither to deformation nor silhouette. To imrpove your edge loops, you should study human form and notice the way muscles flow on it, and use the edges to emphasize that flow. Maybe this page might help you with that - it is an extreme example, but it gets the point across.

I'm not sure why the head is tilted on one side. I also think the shouldters are a bit too strong for a young boy.
  • zenarion
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    zenarion polycounter lvl 17
    He has WAY too wide shoulders to be such a young lad. Look at my forum avatar, i think the shoulders show up there. I can't have been older than 4 on that pic, so you can use it as reference laugh.gif
  • Jamaludin
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    haha thanks for the help yeah everyone is saying the same thing my friends as well and you cant be more right. Its just that im not good enough yet to model it with correct anatomy .

He indeed looks like a way to big muscled baby I think im going to re-do the whole body and use less definition on it would that be better ?

And fogmann thanks for that link it is overdone but that way it does help allot more to bring across the point its very very helpfull thanks !

And what about the face btw lads is that clean/good in any way or ?
  • Jamaludin
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    hmm wel taken in your advice I've tried to kept it simpeler does it help is this any better or ?

156.png

thanks allot in advance !
  • Wells
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Wells polycounter lvl 18
    looks much better.

you've got the three loops going down his torso almost perfectly parallel, try grabbing the two 'nipple-verts' and the two at the farthest protruding part of his belly, and moving them left/right, to the outside. should help with the flow, and make those verts really define the shapes you're going for.
  • Jamaludin
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    wooei haha well I almost get what you mean with getting down the flow but my english aint that good.

I know its a hassle but would you mind doing a draw over at some of the points that could be better, like the joints in the arms at the elbow and the belly and nipple? area if you would have the time please so I can 100% understand what your advicing me ?
  • Wells
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Wells polycounter lvl 18
    Sorry for not getting my point across clearly.

Here's a paintover showing what I meant:

jamaludin_paintover.jpg
  • Jamaludin
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    thanks a bunch I alrady got the most part though its just that my english isnt all that, will fixx the shoulder now and post a later wip. Thanks for the help it is really appreciated and gets the point across , its helping me alot laugh.gif thanks !
  • Jamaludin
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    small update I already see that its not nearly perfect nor is the model or the flow man I feel like starting over again. Good idea or should I just fixx it and what do I have to fix ? Thanks in advance !

157.png