Home 3D Art Showcase & Critiques

Environment W.I.P. - Carrie Furnace

polycounter lvl 17
Offline / Send Message
Atrocity polycounter lvl 17
This is something I am making to teach my self environment making in Max. It isn't meant to be game ready, just a W.I.P. that I am looking for a good critique on.

cwilson_render_01.jpg

Replies

• yeluis
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    yeluis polycounter lvl 17
    it be better if you ould expand more on your purpose. is this for game specs? or just beauty render, and what are you shooting for realistic or stylised. overall id say its looking good
  • Atrocity
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Sorry about that. I have been making environments in the Source engine since HL2 came out and I wanted to expand to learn how to make better ones in Max.

Here is my reference image I am basing the scene off of, I think I am going to finish this in max an then rebuild it in hammer so it can be game ready. I am aiming for a realistic render, but not for game ready specs in the max version.

cwilson_carrieshot_01.jpg
  • anton980
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    That's nice - looks a lot like reference. With good textures it could be super!
  • Atrocity
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I really wish I knew how to make my own textures. I know how to unwrap I know how to get texture reference I just need to practice making my own textures.
  • Sabby
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    There's loads of great textures on Mayangs site :

Metal -
    http://www.mayang.com/textures/Metal/html/Flat%20Metal%20Textures/index.html

While they're not tiling , it'd be no trouble to paste on into a 512x512 1024x1024 canvas in photoshop, crop it to trim off excess, use the offset too to 50% (for 512, offset by 256), then simply erase around the outside leaving a + shaped layer on top of th original to hide the seams. laugh.gif

While it's not the most elegant, for rust/dirty/noisy textures, it's very quick, very easy way to quickly get seamless tiling textures.

As long as you stick with a raggedy edges brush (like the Rough Round Bristly included as a default brush in PhotoShop v7 onwards) you can't go far wrong. smile.gif
  • tremulant
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    tremulant polycounter lvl 17
    [ QUOTE ]
    I really wish I knew how to make my own textures. I know how to unwrap I know how to get texture reference I just need to practice making my own textures.

[/ QUOTE ]

not to worry chuck, ill be there soon, and I will show you my ways son. HAHA, jk...yeah this is lookin good though, just go for it on the textures. It really is not that hard, u just gotta put something down.
  • Atrocity
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Thanks for the tips guys, I have a job interview coming up in a week or so, I am unsure when I will dive back into this but I will keep you guys up to date if I do.
  • anton980
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    [ QUOTE ]
    Thanks for the tips guys, I have a job interview coming up in a week or so, I am unsure when I will dive back into this but I will keep you guys up to date if I do.

[/ QUOTE ]

Good luck with the interview!