Home 3D Art Showcase & Critiques

First Post, some work I'm taking to the Austin G.C

minestorm
polycounter lvl 17
Offline / Send Message
minestorm polycounter lvl 17
Hey all, so first off let me say I luv me some polycount.com, I've been coming to this site for over 5 yrs now, just not really posting, that's just me. So many great artist can be found here, props to all of them.

I wanted to share some work that's apart of my portfolio I'm taking to the Austin Game Conference next week. It's my 2nd time I've been there and I'm looking to break into the industry. Helpful critz and comments always welcome.

cheers...
null_pc.jpg
null_pc02.jpg
abom_pc.jpg
org_pc.jpg
org_pc02.jpg

Replies

• fritz
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    fritz polycounter lvl 18
    i personally would stick closer to the concept by jerad marantz. it's an awesome concept...try and do it justice. better yet...try to top it. your model looks like a human w/strange features. jerad's concept looks like a "creature". in his concept the features are less human like....take that hand at the end of the tentacley arm and eff it all up. make it more distorted...jointy....like it's been mutating. DON'T just take your other hand....copy n'paste it...and scale it. there are many other elements that are only "based" on his concept...like the big arm in your model just kinda starts getting big. in the concept there are some tendony muscley stuff hanging and stretching as it grows. employers are going to be looking for people that can get as close as possible to a concept...especially one like jerads. cause it kicks ass. did i say it's an awesome concept?

i'd put more work into these models.

and next time i would suggest something a little different in your port. granted we see a lot of orcs and soldiers in games these days. add some variety.

hope this doesn't sound harsh. i think it could help tho.

ps. i went to your site and this is your best model in my opinion. assasiness02.jpg

it's elegant and dynamic. just comes across nice. i would go for more of this in your portfolio.
  • minestorm
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    minestorm polycounter lvl 17
    - fritz

Well thanks for the comments, your right I did deviate from the concept. The reason was I wanted to work on human proportions more, plus for me it was hard to get a sense of the overall form of his great concept. Glad yah like my Assasiness piece, of course it's not my design but HL2 concept art artist Ted Backman. Again thanks for the feedback
  • hawken
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    hawken polycounter lvl 19
    elbows and knees are wildly odd in that last one

concept art looks very different to the models, but good interpretation though.