Home 3D Art Showcase & Critiques

Zombie Attack Y'all!

polycounter lvl 18
Offline / Send Message
Josh_Singh polycounter lvl 18
Hey guys, Here is a model I want to Pimp. I it did for the guys at the Southernrise mod. You might recognize him from the "what are you working on" thread. But I figured since he's done he can have his own thread now.
Max Screenshot:
aamaxscreenshot.jpg

aawip5.jpg

averageavery_beauty1.jpg

aawip2wireframe.jpg

Replies

• Joseph Silverman
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Joseph Silverman polycounter lvl 17
    Looks awesome, although I kinda miss the glowing green eyes in those final renders. smile.gif
  • Asmuel
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Asmuel polycounter lvl 17
    Good job man, I have done some work on the mod too, good to see great quality work going into it smile.gif
  • Neo_God
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Neo_God polycounter lvl 18
    Always love a good zombie! However I like my zombies bloody, but I'm sure that goes against the style of the mod, so it's forgivable, haha. Looks great. I prefer the new eyes to the green glowing ones.
  • Tulkamir
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Tulkamir polycounter lvl 18
    Haha, that's one kick ass zombie man. I'm not too sure where I stand on the eye thing though. Although I will say that for some reason his expression seems more demented to me when he has the green eyes. That might be because of the pose you put his face into.

Thanks for sharing. smile.gif
  • Rick Stirling
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Rick Stirling polycounter lvl 18
    For a Zombie that was once a human, and was slashed across the throat and chest, he didn't make much of a mess.

You might want to revisit those wounds.
  • zenarion
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    zenarion polycounter lvl 17
    inspiring smile.gif
    awesome setting for a mod you got there. and great models smile.gif
  • DeathByChris
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    DeathByChris polycounter lvl 17
    [ QUOTE ]
    For a Zombie that was once a human, and was slashed across the throat and chest, he didn't make much of a mess.

You might want to revisit those wounds.

[/ QUOTE ]

i agree, more blood. maybe give him a generals sword all bent and rusted.
  • stoofoo
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    stoofoo polycounter lvl 18
    Model is pretty cool but I really am not a fan of the amount of noise used on this characters textures. Seems jsut too busy without actualyl having a lot of painted detail you know? T_T
  • Joseph Silverman
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Joseph Silverman polycounter lvl 17
    I don't think he really needs more blood. In the concept Average Avery was the goriest of the four zombies shown, but still not that bloody:

http://southernrisemod.com/?page_id=18
  • SouL
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    SouL polycounter lvl 18
    The neck seems to be really pushed forward.
    Path out where his spine is and you'll get a better idea of where to place the neck.

The ~3,800 polygons you used on him aren't contributing much to his silhouette.
    A lot of it comes from experience, though. The less polygons you have to work with, the more you'll see where to place them to maximise the shape you're trying to create and push the silhouette even more.

I 2nd the comments about giving him more blood. I've made my fair share of zombies already, and yeah, it sucks when adding blood covers all the detail you've put into the underlying texture. But it makes it all the better, if you ask me.
  • rooster
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    rooster mod
    unless those were wounds he got after being zombified.. hey it could happen. Having said that can you ever have too much blood?
  • Rick Stirling
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Rick Stirling polycounter lvl 18
    If they were woulds after being zombified then there'd be no blood. Black scabs maybe.

Of course, that all depends on what Zombie biology you subscribe to
  • Josh_Singh
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Hey Guys, These are all great crits, I was working off a concept but I did have a bit of freedom. But there was a few things that where asked specifically,
    They didn't want the green eyes, I liked them too they made him feel more psycho, but I do like the purple eyes too.
    Soul: as for the neck they wanted a sort of hunchback feel to the guy, and yes, I agree, I could have put a few more polys down in the sillouette, like you said it comes to experience, and to be completely honest, this is my first fully normal mapped character. Ive messed with just heads and little experiments to get the workflow down, but this is my first foray into the whole making a highpoly to generate normals workflow. Im used to just running a filter on a bump to get my normals.
    Hahah and You nailed it on the blood thing, I hate covering up details with too much blood. I might add more, maybe some splatters on his chest but not too much, if you look at the concept Suprore posted there isnt' too much blood on the concept.
    Rick as far as zombie wounds scabbing over I dont think it would scab over but more like just coagulate and turn all gooey. To dry and actuall turn into a scab means to heal and zombies never heal, they just get funkier and funkier.
  • Neo_God
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Neo_God polycounter lvl 18
    [ QUOTE ]
    Model is pretty cool but I really am not a fan of the amount of noise used on this characters textures. Seems jsut too busy without actualyl having a lot of painted detail you know? T_T

[/ QUOTE ]

I prefer noisey over smooth textures myself. I think it's all a case of style. Same with the blood.
  • Sinistar
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Sinistar polycounter lvl 17
    Nice work! I wouldn't want to meet him down a dark alley. :P
  • Warhawk
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Warhawk polycounter lvl 18
    Hey. That is a nice work. Badass m...r. I really dig the evil face zombie look. I like the texturing on his skin and face. And the pose is very nicely balanced, which gives him some belivability.

The things that I would like to point out from my experiances working on the next gen charaters are:

It would be nice if you wouldnt waste so many polys on small extrusions like belt buckle, edges of belt, shoulder patch, sole on the shoe. And concentrate more on the body shape. You can do all those little detailes with normal map if done properly.

The thing that is a little strange is that you put lots of detailes into the face and hands but not much into the clothing which covers 70% of the character. It kind of removes the balance of the textures. I would personaly add folding into the jacket and pants. Define more stiching on his cloths and add some more detailes onto bump map. It is nice to fake some shadows just small in the areas with stiching and small folding, to get the sense of depth and volume. Think more like soft clothing which also deforms easely on stiching parts. Play some more with the specular. Think of it as diffrent materials. Shoes have leather so add more specular to edges and top of the shoe, and sides of the belt. The shiny surfaces like metal should really pop up. Add more dirt on shoes and pants, make him dirty but not too much. Maybe some more random blod on jacket. I hope this will help you some more to improve your work.
  • EarthQuake
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Is it just me or are the fingers modeled upside down? Seems the extra tris for deformation is on the wrong side.
  • aniceto
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    aniceto polycounter lvl 18
    yeah i noticed that too EQ, same thing with the knees.

i like the eyes in the first shot the most.
  • Josh_Singh
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    here's a shot without the diffuse so you can see the normal map a little better:

aanormal_viewport.jpg
  • Ninjas
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Ninjas polycounter lvl 18
    Ah that looks cool. The lighting in your top renders is awful for a normal mapped model. Hit that bitch up with some directional light.
  • katzeimsack
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    katzeimsack polycounter lvl 17
    hmm like the normalmap only one...
    could you please post the diffuse? Seems to kill most of the normalmap.
  • Warhawk
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Warhawk polycounter lvl 18
    Thanx for posting model without color map. Probably the problem that kills your normal map is the ambient lightning if you are using it. Try to make more contrast with lightning, maybe a direction light that will lit the top faces. That should define the normal map abit more. Also Have you tried playing with specular. Maybe you should make it stronger. Right now the diffuse is killing your normal maps. And specular map should only enhance normal map, not kill it. I hope it helps. Stay cool.
  • conte
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    conte polycounter lvl 18
    nice one!=) i am doing contract work, zombie model right now=) a lot of work from you in that month, keep going.
  • swampbug
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    swampbug polycounter lvl 18
    I love the "battle damage skeletor" thing going on with the chest wink.gif.