Home 3D Art Showcase & Critiques

post your silo doodles!

mod
Offline / Send Message
rooster mod
im having a mess about with the silo beta, and there must be a few other folks in the same position..

so, post em if you got em:
doodle.jpg

Replies

• dfacto
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    dfacto polycounter lvl 18
    Hwat! It's out already!?
  • Zcubed
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Zcubed polycounter lvl 18
    Damn, I am jealous mad.gif. Have you played around with the new topology brush? I've heard that the results are much more predictable with the new iteration.
  • rooster
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    rooster mod
    had a go just for you tongue.gif yeah its sweet how you can just draw the topology brush straight over your displacement painted mesh, worked pretty smoothly once I adjusted the threshhold a little.. did a normal map test since I had the bits..
    ignore the artifact on the lip I didnt bother fixing the mesh up properly tongue.gif
    doodle2.jpg

topology brush rules!
  • MoP
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    MoP polycounter lvl 18
    Doodlin' with the new toolset... first time I've tried actually modelling something entirely with the stylus.

siloman.jpg

About an hour and a half, no ref.
    And yes, he's been horribly amputated. The mesh was an ultra-haxy one, hence why I didn't get any further than the torso. That entire subdivided thing is under 50,000 triangles anyway. Not bad!
    The tools are fun though, I'm getting used to them... who needs Mudbox anyway! smile.gif
  • Justin Meisse
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Justin Meisse polycounter lvl 18
    looking cool rooster, how did you get those sharp edges?

Here's what I did, I need to figure out the topology brush so I can build a better meshflow and sculpt some more
    silo_sculpt.jpg
  • Steve Schulze
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Steve Schulze polycounter lvl 18
    Neat. Hows the displacement deally compare to ZBrush and Mudbox?
  • Justin Meisse
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Justin Meisse polycounter lvl 18
    hmmm, well, I don't really like it as much as Zbrush and I haven't gotten into the Mudbox beta yet. It is nice having all the regular modeling tools as well as sculpting though. The funny thing is my mom got me a Silo training DVD last Christmas, awesome!
  • rooster
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    rooster mod
    first time I tried it I didn't get into it much, but do keep at it a little longer to make sure you've explored it properly.. I really like to paint with a shaped alpha brush.

I got sharp edges by smoothing either side of the crease, and a little pinching in places. the smudge tool is quite cool, for pushing in folds and creating definition.. I need to have another shot and try and make something serious

edit: mop that looks cool btw! hes almost there if you zombify him to account for the stumps laugh.gif
  • conte
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    conte polycounter lvl 18
    in Silo2 possible to sculpting?
    What awesome in this soft?
  • rooster
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    rooster mod
    yeah man it has zbrush style sculpting smile.gif

I'm trying to model a female head, which I'm finding bloody hard. Not because of silo, but because its my second ever female head (and the first one was *really crap) crazy.gif.
    Ignore the concrete neck its the weird square brush I like ot use

angelica.jpg
  • Rick Stirling
  • rooster
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    rooster mod
    how do you use standard modeling tools when on a subdivided object? mop said when he tried to edit a painted object it reset the painting?

angelica2.jpg
  • Entity
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Entity polycounter lvl 18
    A quick doodle using a very simple basemesh, it's still rough right now though.

orc2lk3.jpg
  • Rick Stirling
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Rick Stirling polycounter lvl 18
    Rooster - it should only reset if you cut geo. Just drop down to a manageable subdivision level and move those points around.
  • rooster
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    rooster mod
    aah yeah got you
  • Pedro Amorim
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    ... i downloaded the beta.. but it seems that i need a key..

any soul wants to share a key for me to use the beta.?
  • Entity
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Entity polycounter lvl 18
    you get the key when you buy silo, so no..I don't think anyone will want to share it with you wink.gif
  • Pedro Amorim
  • twebb
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    twebb polycounter lvl 17
    Haven't posted on here in a while, but don't know if anyone remembers me anyway. I used to be King-Vitaman.

Been waiting ages for the Silo 2.0 beta to come out, and now that it is I'm spending all my free time modeling again. Will probably post more. Anyway, image, bad base-mesh, I couldnt wait long enough to make a proper one, so I just loaded up this old hack to play with.

chuckles_8-21.jpg

I just want to say that I like the way the brushes feel better than Zbrush, and it seems more consistent. Alot faster too to be able to press custom hotkeys for anything than to have to go scroll through menus looking for the right tool. I got it when it was still $109 but its well worth the $159. Even in this rather buggy beta stage, I find it more useable than Zbrush. Haven't used Mudbox yet though, so I can't compare it to that.
  • MoP
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    MoP polycounter lvl 18
    Cool stuff twebb! Or king-vitamin, yes I remember you smile.gif

Nice one rooster too, she's shaping up nicely.
  • twebb
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    twebb polycounter lvl 17
    Thanks MoP, and good to know someone remembers. I've been lurking for a little while lately too.

Tweaked some shapes, especially the mouth. Not very noticeable changes, but I wanted to fix some things I noticed were wrong. Done with this guy, ready to move on to something a bit more serious I think.

chuckles_2_8-21.jpg
  • Goldo_O
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Goldo_O greentooth
    I'm already a great fan of Silo, i love it!!!
    I've been working on this one for few hours now, time to start something else grin.gif
    Silo2_doodle06.JPG
  • MoP
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    MoP polycounter lvl 18
    very cool, goldo_o! smile.gif
  • rooster
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    rooster mod
  • JordanW
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    JordanW polycounter lvl 19
    nice stuff guys! starting to raise my interest in Silo2
  • Sean McBride
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Sean McBride polycounter lvl 18
    yeah bad ass stuff guys, whats the work flow like in silo 2.0?
  • twebb
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    twebb polycounter lvl 17
    Very similar to 1.42 for the modeling side of things, which very good IMO. I moved to Silo 1.42 from Max and it improved my workflow alot. Very easy to customize, nearly any command can be bound to nearly any key. Mouse is very customizable, with 5 button support in 2.0. Some really great time-savers such as "Tweak" which allows you to move geometry without actually selecting it, by holding down "Control" to imply selection, if that makes any sense, anyway it makes modeling really fast and intuitive.

There is a new UV Unwrap function that works very similar to Pelting, select the edges you want to be cut, click unwrap, and it seems to do a very good job of evenly spacing everything and unwrapping it. (Edit. It evenly spaces out all of the vertices of the map, but currently all of the seperate objects simply get dropped on top of each other. This will probably be changed in the future to be better, at least to keep them from overlapping, but its not hard to work-around anyway) I haven't worked with it much yet since I've been mostly lost in the Sculpting tools, but it seems to be a very good unwrapper.

Sculpting workflow is very similar to Zbrush, Push/Pull, Smooth, Move, Pinch/Inflate, Smudge, and Flatten, which I believe is a Tool borrowed from Mudbox, and absent from Zbrush. It realigns all effected faces to be similarly oriented. The biggest advantage I think it has over Zbrush, however, is that if you are sculpting on something and decide your mesh isnt quite right, you need a few extra loops here, or you want to have an extra set of arms protruding from the characters stomach, or whatever. Rather than having to scratch all of your hours of work sculpting and go back into the original modeling program, then reimport and start over. In Silo you can simply go to a more basic sub-d level, deactivate sculpt mode, and make the necessary changes. Any faces that were directly effected by the changes (the ones that are cut, extruded, retopologized etc) lose their details, but that is probably a loss of minutes rather than hours.

There are some Videos available on the Nevercenter website that show some of the polygon modeling workflow and tools of 1.42, and there is a Video of the new features on there as well.

Sorry for being such a Silo fanboy, but I've been hooked on it since the first hour that I started using 1.42 several months ago even before I knew about the implementation of sculpting. There is a demo version of 1.42 available on the website if anyone is interested to see what the modeling workflow is like, 2.0 is very similar except for the added features such as unwrapping and displacement. Most of the modeling tools are intact and improved.
  • Sean McBride
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Sean McBride polycounter lvl 18
    haha sweet thanks for the informative response. smile.gif i'll have to check it out.
  • twebb
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    twebb polycounter lvl 17
    This is a little more than a doodle, couple hours this evening for this guy. I plan to take him a bit further, and I have a good base this time around so it might actually be useable. Crits appreciated, but its still alot of for fun/learning tools time. I'm gonna add some more details in (wrinkles especially, what fun is an old man with no wrinkles), and then subdivide it another level when I get more RAM.

oldman_8-22.jpg

Anyone else got anything new?
  • Goldo_O
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Goldo_O greentooth
    Silo2_doodle07.JPG

Saved from an horrible death by "corrupted .sib file" grin.gif
  • Goldo_O
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Goldo_O greentooth
    And let me introduce: NASTY PUSSY! ooo.gif
    I only spent half an hour on it cos it deserves no more than that. And no... i don't have any problem with ladies grin.gif
    Silo2_doodle08.JPG
  • flow3d
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    flow3d polycounter lvl 18
  • rooster
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    rooster mod
    hey Goldo_O about that corrupted sib- howd you save it?
    thats hawt!
  • Goldo_O
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Goldo_O greentooth
    Well, i was pretty lucky because i had exported the different parts into Maya to clean them (since it's pretty hard to localize geometry issues into Silo).
    I managed to recompose the scene with all those obj and an older auto-save.
    I guess it's what people call a beta smile.gif
  • graves
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    graves polycounter lvl 18
    siloheaduf2.jpg
    My first displacement model.
  • steady
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    steady polycounter lvl 18
    awesomeness
    monster vagina ftw
  • James Edwards
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    James Edwards polycounter lvl 18
    Still needs work, but I managed clean up some symmetry/corruption issues last night and thought it was worth a WIP shot or two...

Silo2SkullWIP2.jpg
    Silo2SkullWIP1.jpg
  • Goldo_O
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Goldo_O greentooth
    Hey!
    I'm still having a lot of fun with silo beta, but would like to know: am i alone to have nevecenter site and forums down for days and days now? frown.gif
    Silo2_doodle09b.JPG

Silo2_doodle15.JPG

This last one was designed and recronstructed in silo, then detailed in mudbox and rendered in modo.
  • killingpeople
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    killingpeople polycounter lvl 18
    *licks the bull's nose*